PDA

View Full Version : Advice with navigation

djkymar
10/21/2007, 07:36 PM
Hi gang, time for me to get some navigation for my VX and i know there is so many out there but which one is the good one? What kind you guys have? Im looking for something in price range 300-500$ with bluetooth maybe. I hear TomTom 510 is not bad one but never tryed one myself.
Any input would be nice
Thanks

Triathlete
10/21/2007, 07:42 PM
I just use the free one that State Farm Insurance sends me every year. Rand McNally makes it for them. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Works good every time. :thumbup:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

bigkoala1
10/22/2007, 04:48 AM
i have the garmin 276c . its nice because i can take it from the vx and put it in the boat. no bluetooth though.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=233

KaNGiX
10/22/2007, 05:39 AM
Well if you could do a lil more then the 500 mark you could do a whole PC. Would still need navagation software but in my opinion it hands down the better value.

I think i sank about 700 into my carputer. Thats with medium range options, not the most $$ but not the least either.

And with a PC your multimedia, nav and all other stuff is covered.

And if you do some digging and mp3car.com Ud be amazed.

Still need GPS software... ebay cheap like 40 - 60 for MS Streets

tom4bren
10/22/2007, 08:18 AM
I use TomTom. I have the 310 at home & 510 at work. They are a little slow on updating the maps but if you're not driving through Springfield, VA or Austin, TX ... they're not too bad (LOL). One thing I've noticed is that sometimes you have to be creative when entering addresses (mailing address .vs. street address .vs. where the dang place really is (I used to live in White Oak which was serviced by Falmouth post office but had a Fredericksburg address - that sort of thing)

My siblings & I got Dad a Garmin for Christmas last year & he loves it.

IMHO: TomTom has better software & map detail. Garmin has better places of interest (gas stations & resteraunts). It boils down to personal preferences.

newthings
10/22/2007, 08:56 PM
Some GPS Choices from US Global Sat, a Mac friendly company.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=100

For $300.00

Or

GV 370
www.usglobalsat.com/PS370

For $200.00

A very special price, if still available. Ask Larry Liang.

I have this one and it works great.

Roy

dynofan
10/24/2007, 06:18 PM
I like Tom Tom with my Treo 700p and and portable bluetooth GPS. I run a power strip across my dashboard and plug it into the lighter port. Since it's completely portable I can put it in any car. Can't decide on which voice to use yet..........!:)

geshaw30
10/25/2007, 12:53 PM
I have the Garmin 550 and have been happy with everything except the blasted suction cup window mount. I got tired of it falling off and went out and got the dashboard beanbag mount- works great. The 550 has bluetooth with a mic that can be clipped to clothing or attached somewhere on the dash (as I have it now). Gives streets by name unless you switch languages (the English hottie will only tell you to "turn left" but no street name).

As a word of caution regarding thefts. Leaving the rig in plain view is a bad idea and is getting worse. Even if you just walk away for a few minutes. I've investigated numerous burglaries here in Houston where folks have left the unit in the window then returned only to find their window smashed and GPS gone. This is another reason why the beanbag/dash mount makes sense. The resident "turd" who breaks into your ride will look for the suction cup marks left on the windshield even if you've removed the unit and hid it somewhere. Obviously the dash mount leaves no traces behind.

tom4bren
10/25/2007, 01:37 PM
geshaw,

Just yesterday on the local news, they were talking about exactly what you said: DO NOT leave it mounted to your windshield. DO keep windex wipes in your vehicle to remove the suction cup ring from the windshield.

We all know how difficult it is to find parts for our VXs and I think windows are the most difficult. Even if you aren't concerned about the GPS, broken out windows justify the efforts above.

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/16/2008, 10:35 PM
I don't have this...just stumbled across it while surf'in the web!

http://www.knightridergps.com/

http://knightrideronline.com/news/2008/06/mio_knight_rider_gps_has_voice.php

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/17/mios-knight-rider-gps-now-available-for-pre-order/

vt_maverick
12/17/2008, 07:09 AM
I have a TomTom 920T (T is for traffic capable). It runs like $650 MSRP but I got it from Circuit City with a 10% discount card and a $250 off web-only special. I absolutely love it, and to solve all the theft issues, I have it mounted on the random square section of the center console between the seats. I mounted it there because the suction cup kept coming off the windshield, and I like it much better. If I get time I'll take pix so you guys can check it out.

taylorRichie
12/17/2008, 07:53 AM
TomToms, and Garmins are soo outdated... I'm not sure why they haven't adopted the new GPS technologies, like Street View, Turn assist, etc.

Navigon is a great brand taking advantage of these options.

I'm probably going to go with this one though.
http://www.telenav.com/shotgun/

It has real-time traffic, because it's internet connected.

If I was in your situation I'd get the Navigon 2200T, It's has a killer pricepoint, and great features.

Riff Raff
12/18/2008, 12:25 AM
Personally, I use the exact same model as TRIATHLETE above. It doesn't leave any suction cup marks, and actually acts as a theft deterrent when intentionally left on the dashboard indicating to the would-be thief that I'm a tight-wad with only analog (paper text) components not worth the thief's time. Sweeeeeeet!

In addition; prior to any "planned" trip, I always do a "MAPQUEST" print-out and take the paper print-out with me in the VX. I haven't been lost yet, and the cost is-- uuuuuh (hold on, let me look). Oh yeah; here it is, the price tag on my unit says "FREE"!

mdwyer
12/18/2008, 09:38 AM
I'm using a Navteq model that showed up on woot.com a few weeks back. I can't say I'm pleased with it, but the price was right. If nothing else, the receiver on it is really good. I'm able to set it inside the cove that holds the speedometer. It slides around a little, but generally stays there. No suction cup rings, no beanbags.

My other GPS is the one built into my Sprint phone. It is actually one of the best I've used... until it started flaking out. When it remembers it is a phone, it forgets that it is a nav device. So there will be a little popup on the screen saying you've got email, while you blissfully roll right by your exits... Grrrr.

I'm pretty sure my subaru was broken into because of a GPS suction cup ring... so I also strongly suggest you avoid them.

crager34
12/18/2008, 11:29 AM
Personally, I use the exact same model as TRIATHLETE above. It doesn't leave any suction cup marks, and actually acts as a theft deterrent when intentionally left on the dashboard indicating to the would-be thief that I'm a tight-wad with only analog (paper text) components not worth the thief's time. Sweeeeeeet!

In addition; prior to any "planned" trip, I always do a "MAPQUEST" print-out and take the paper print-out with me in the VX. I haven't been lost yet, and the cost is-- uuuuuh (hold on, let me look). Oh yeah; here it is, the price tag on my unit says "FREE"!

+ 1 If you don't already know where your going, stay off the road, cause it slows the rest of us down. :o

Kidding really.... but not.