PDA

View Full Version : rear door knobs

bigkoala1
10/11/2007, 01:09 PM
hey guys. I recently broke two of the four "knobs" that hold on the rear pannel. Does anyone know where I could get two or three of the red knobs?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

etlsport
10/11/2007, 02:00 PM
i havent heard this brought up in awhile.. but last i remember those knobs were pretty much impossible to get in red... tone mentioned something about being able to fix them (or maybe it was prevent them from breaking?) by using a dowel rod the size of the interior of the screw on the back and gluing it in place inside the knob, not sure if that will help you or not

Tone
10/11/2007, 02:17 PM
I've got 2 of the grey if anyone is looking for them.

If you still have the pieces that broke off of the red ones, they can be repaired. Cut a 1/2" diameter dowel the length of the threads and epoxy them inside the threads/handle that is hollow. Good idea to do that to the others BEFORE they break.

bigkoala1
10/11/2007, 03:12 PM

If you still have the pieces that broke off of the red ones, they can be repaired. Cut a 1/2" diameter dowel the length of the threads and epoxy them inside the threads/handle that is hollow. Good idea to do that to the others BEFORE they break.

sure, how much. dont have the old ones ,didnt think to repair them.

WILLY
10/11/2007, 10:04 PM
I ordered mine from an isuzu dealer and they were able to get red and black ones.

djkymar
10/11/2007, 11:52 PM
Willy, how much they were?

WILLY
10/12/2007, 08:07 AM
Willy, how much they were?

I dont remember but im sure they were expensive cause that dealer really socked it to me with the other stuff i had them do.:eek:

bigkoala1
10/13/2007, 11:33 AM

tone,

let me knoe whats up.

-aaron-

Rene M
10/21/2007, 01:56 PM
I dont remember but im sure they were expensive cause that dealer really socked it to me with the other stuff i had them do.:eek:

???? i just got a set in red part # 8-97198-691-0 knob tail gate.. $7.88 per

Any way i have a buddy making me a full set in billet aluminum because i am tired of them breaking and getting loose !
when i find out a price any one else want a set?

SkidPlate
10/21/2007, 02:05 PM
???? i just got a set in red part # 8-97198-691-0 knob tail gate.. $7.88 per

Any way i have a buddy making me a full set in billet aluminum because i am tired of them breaking and getting loose !
when i find out a price any one else want a set?

Yes, I would be interested in a full set of billet aluminum t-gate knobs.

Any idea on price?

djkymar
10/21/2007, 07:11 PM
i would be interested too because i have 2 broken already =(

bigkoala1
10/21/2007, 07:45 PM
yea im interested too!!:_drool:

etlsport
10/21/2007, 07:59 PM
i would be interested depending on finish and price

Rene M
10/21/2007, 09:24 PM
Holy cow????? i guess the rest of you are sick of the dumb broken plactic as well.

WILLY
10/21/2007, 10:19 PM
Count me in!:)

Rene M
10/23/2007, 12:50 AM
Well i saw the rough proto type's today and i love them...
no longer hollow and look real nice but i only got to try them out then they ran off with them.

bigkoala1
10/23/2007, 04:42 AM
Well i saw the rough proto type's today and i love them...
no longer hollow and look real nice but i only got to try them out then they ran off with them.

any word on the price?

bigkoala1
10/30/2007, 04:51 AM
bump

nfpgasmask
10/30/2007, 08:30 AM
I just ordered 5 of them from Merlin for about $4 each I think. I didn't even think about the color.... :eek:

I guess I will have to see what comes in the mail. The dowel idea is a good one.

Also, I have been thinking about an alternative to these made from large thumb screws with rubber ends (I'd have to post a photo). Basically, just tack weld a few bolts of the appropriate size to that metal bracket that houses the female part of the screw, and then use an appropriate thumbscrew to match. The only tricky part would be finding a piece to hold the screws in there once they are loosened....

Bart

djkymar
11/07/2007, 05:27 PM
bump

Ldub
11/07/2007, 06:00 PM
Also, I have been thinking about an alternative to these made from large thumb screws with rubber ends (I'd have to post a photo). Basically, just tack weld a few bolts of the appropriate size to that metal bracket that houses the female part of the screw, and then use an appropriate thumbscrew to match. The only tricky part would be finding a piece to hold the screws in there once they are loosened....

Bart

I hear ya cluckin' Red Rooster...:rolleyes:

I've had an alternative to the stock "E-Z breaks" in the works for months, but it's become kind of a back burner project.
I found some rather large cap screws, & by large I mean the heads on these things are nearly as large as the stock e-z breaks.
Anyway, rather than tack weld anything, I epoxied the proper size nuts to washers that I'm going to pop rivet in place on the bacl side of the female part of the stock location.
Is this making any sense ???

Just throwin it out there as an E-Z alternative to welding. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Excuse me, that Sienfeld reference didn't go unnoticed, did it ?;)

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Spike
11/07/2007, 09:43 PM
I had no problems with broken knobs. but one of the plastic sockets that the knob mounts to inside the door .. a tab broke off of that...

Thoughts aside from epoxy to mount it in place?

nfpgasmask
11/08/2007, 09:47 AM
I hear ya cluckin' Red Rooster...:rolleyes:

I've had an alternative to the stock "E-Z breaks" in the works for months, but it's become kind of a back burner project.
I found some rather large cap screws, & by large I mean the heads on these things are nearly as large as the stock e-z breaks.
Anyway, rather than tack weld anything, I epoxied the proper size nuts to washers that I'm going to pop rivet in place on the bacl side of the female part of the stock location.
Is this making any sense ???

Just throwin it out there as an E-Z alternative to welding. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Excuse me, that Sienfeld reference didn't go unnoticed, did it ?;)

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Yeah, basically the same idea, except I figured a weld would hold better in the long run, whereas epoxy may eventually break. By this summer I should have a nice garage and a welding setup so I might just do this. The only drawback is the cap screws will come free when you remove the trim piece. But, I would rather have something heavy duty.

Bart

PS - Having a welding setup will probably result in a lot of things...:evil:

PHO2GR4
02/25/2008, 04:51 PM
Anybody ever get these made, delivered and installed?

nfpgasmask
02/25/2008, 05:53 PM
Eric, do you still need one? I do have one red on left, but I painted it black. You could probably strip the black paint off with some thinner or acetone. If you want it, let me know.

Bart

PHO2GR4
02/25/2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Bart!

Thanks, but I already ordered some extras from Merlin. Hopefully I'll get the red ones, since there seems to be some confusion regarding the actual part numbers...