PDA

View Full Version : Best Wiper Blade Brand???

tom4bren
10/10/2007, 02:24 PM
Pretty lame question ... but inquiring minds want to know.

I've had pretty rotten luck the past few years with wiper blades. Can anyone recommend any that fit well and last?

I just put RainX blades on the Proton. They seem to fit well but only time will tell how they last. The previous ones (can't remember the brand) would not stay on.

WILLY
10/10/2007, 02:31 PM
I have tried them all and the anco ones i get at wal-mart work the best,they fit the glass great and the rails are strong and sturdy and they glide on the glass well.:)

bigkoala1
10/10/2007, 02:49 PM
i just put the rainx latitude blades.

they work well in the down pours we get every afternoon down here.

several of my friends swear by them.

etlsport
10/10/2007, 03:19 PM
i put on some bosch blades 18 months ago (the middle grade ones that still have a structure to them, not the icons that are just rubber) workin great

nfpgasmask
10/10/2007, 03:28 PM
I've got the RainX blades on and they work fine for me. The only problem I have is when I actually use RainX. It makes the blades stick and chatter...

Bart

I just put RainX blades on the Proton. They seem to fit well but only time will tell how they last. The previous ones (can't remember the brand) would not stay on.

driver3
10/10/2007, 03:34 PM
I use the bosch icon wiper blades.. I think they are the best. I ran an icon on the driver's side and a micro edge excel on the pass side, and the icons are wiping better longer... so I'm going with both icons next time

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon.htm

Raque Thomas
10/10/2007, 03:44 PM
Bosch Icons are the shizelnitz! I always had the wiper hop and noise when there wasn't enough rain to run the wipers, but enough that it was obstructing my view. These blades don't hop, skip (or jump), they swipe the windshield totally clean and I couldn't recommend them more if I were paid to do so (which I AM NOT). They look a little odd when you first put them on, because they hug the windshield more so than regular blades, but they are the best wiper blades I've had on any vehicle I've owned. They've been on the VX for about 18 months - still work like the day I installed them - not cheap (at $40), but worth every penny!

creeg
10/10/2007, 04:31 PM
What is this "rain" you speak of? Los Angelinos do not understand. :)

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/10/2007, 04:43 PM
Bosch Icons....nuff said!

cyronman
10/10/2007, 07:11 PM
What is this "rain" you speak of? Los Angelinos do not understand. :)

I know, right

I got the PIAA blades from Weathertech and they work great...
coming out of car washes or wiping an occasional morning dew off with one swipe!

LittleBeast
10/10/2007, 10:25 PM
I know, right

I got the PIAA blades from Weathertech and they work great...
coming out of car washes or wiping an occasional morning dew off with one swipe!

I've got the PIAA super silicone on mine as well and I have never been more happy with wipers!

tom4bren
10/11/2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks for all the input. I read about the Bosch after I had put the rainx on. I'll probably take that route next time.

Rain??? I've forgoten what that's like too. I need the wipers though because some tree in my yard sprays some kind of sticky sap all over so both the washer & wipers are used daily. If it ain't the tree spraying sap the only other thing I can think of is the squirrels are pissing on my P&J - Not Good!!!

Ldub
10/11/2007, 05:44 AM
If it ain't the tree spraying sap the only other thing I can think of is the squirrels are pissing on my P&J - Not Good!!!

My guess would be aphid poop...no, really, I'm serious.:p

tom4bren
10/11/2007, 10:28 AM
Why not. I've got locusts living under my pool (trust me - it's unique). Might as well have bugs pooping on my cars.

Trouble is though that the residue is clear. Never heard of clear poop before.

k4tmc
10/11/2007, 10:40 AM
The PIAA's from Weathertech are the best blades I have ever used.

Rain-X on the windshield also helps.

Henry

Mark B
10/11/2007, 11:14 AM
I use Isuzu OEM wiper blades. I use to buy just the wiper baldes and they work very good. A few months ago I went to Isuzu to buy new wiper blades and they said that they do not sell the blades alone, I had to buy the entire metal attachment with the wiper blades. I told them I only needed the blades that the metal attachment I have was in good condition. No luck. I had to buy the whole unit. So now I am going with after market wiper blades. I will try the blades recommended on this thread. Thanks.

Scott Harness
10/11/2007, 12:17 PM
I've had Silblades on mine for 3yrs and they still work like new.

Knigh7s
10/11/2007, 12:35 PM
Bosch Icon wiper blades, and never turning back.

Chopper
10/11/2007, 03:46 PM
Icons! Sure it's not bat pee? Hundreds of bats would pour from the hay loft of our barn at dusk each nite. If you stood under the opening, you got peed on! Guess bats gotta go when they wake up, too.

Spike
10/11/2007, 10:31 PM
I had the PIAA blades (i bought them from weathertech) on for about 4 yrs before I had to replace them; and even then they were still doing a good job... So I replaced them with the exact same thing...

Funny how the packages says replace once a year (just like rubber compound blades) yet they last SO much longer.

tom4bren
10/12/2007, 09:14 AM
I guess this thread goes to show that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. With all the high tech discussions going on I though asking about wiper blades was kind of lame. I learned some stuff though so thanks for all your input.

P.S. Bats, bugs, squirrels, trees ... something's pissing on my Proton. Might just have to camp out one night with a slingshot (bad tree ... bad tree ... take that up your knot hole).

djkymar
10/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Great topic im going to the store right now and getting those icons. I curently have dual pilot blades and they are S*** =(

WyrreJ
10/12/2007, 11:33 AM
How about sizes? I seem to remember that upsizing and inch or two over stock resulted in better coverage -maybe for only one side?. But its been so many years that I don't even remember what I bought last time.

bigkoala1
10/12/2007, 12:03 PM
How about sizes? I seem to remember that upsizing and inch or two over stock resulted in better coverage -maybe for only one side?. But its been so many years that I don't even remember what I bought last time.

i believe the sizes are 17 and 24"

UtahVXer
10/12/2007, 03:29 PM
Silicone is the best material by far for wiper blades. I have used both PIAA and Silblade. I think Silblades are better.
http://www.silblade.com/

tom4bren
10/18/2007, 10:24 AM
WyrreJ,

17 & 24 seemed like a strange combo to me so I looked at the path/coverage after installing the new blades. The coverage seemed fairly complete & it looked like longer blades might actually hit each other at the bottom of the stroke. I'll stick with the stock size myself but others may have different opinions. I used to have a Samurai & the dinky little blades were hard to find (can't remember the size). I put larger ones on & they ended up digging into the rubber windshield seal.

djkymar
10/26/2007, 12:31 AM
I just noticed today at work that one car has matching blue wiper blades so i check them out and it came out that it was SIlBlade so i took the car and told my friend to emulate rian with water hose and i was sitting inside car with wipers on checking how good they are but i was dissapointed because they were even worse then my current ones. I dont know if i will get new ones for 60 bucks pair they will be probly fine now but later who knows how they would be. They promising 5 year warranty and i dont think they can make it more then a year. My opinion price is too much for those.
just my 2 cents

tom4bren
10/26/2007, 07:15 AM
The RainX are working fine so far. My daughter is driving the VX today & it's raining so I'll get her input.

VXIRONwoMAN
10/26/2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the input. I read about the Bosch after I had put the rainx on. I'll probably take that route next time.

Rain??? I've forgoten what that's like too. I need the wipers though because some tree in my yard sprays some kind of sticky sap all over so both the washer & wipers are used daily. If it ain't the tree spraying sap the only other thing I can think of is the squirrels are pissing on my P&J - Not Good!!!

Why not. I've got locusts living under my pool (trust me - it's unique). Might as well have bugs pooping on my cars.

Trouble is though that the residue is clear. Never heard of clear poop before.

I guess this thread goes to show that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. With all the high tech discussions going on I though asking about wiper blades was kind of lame. I learned some stuff though so thanks for all your input.

P.S. Bats, bugs, squirrels, trees ... something's pissing on my Proton. Might just have to camp out one night with a slingshot (bad tree ... bad tree ... take that up your knot hole).

:p I don't have much of these problems...Anyone ever heard of a garage???? :rolleyes:

JAFO
10/26/2007, 11:28 PM
I use Isuzu OEM wiper blades. I use to buy just the wiper baldes and they work very good. A few months ago I went to Isuzu to buy new wiper blades and they said that they do not sell the blades alone, I had to buy the entire metal attachment with the wiper blades. I told them I only needed the blades that the metal attachment I have was in good condition. No luck. I had to buy the whole unit. So now I am going with after market wiper blades. I will try the blades recommended on this thread. Thanks.

Have you noticed most wiper blades are now proprietary? The refills are no longer swapable.

I run the PIAA's. But last time I ordered the refills, the local 4x4 store charged me shipping and handling because they don't stock the just the refills, making the refills more than the whole assembly.

don moore
10/27/2007, 12:49 AM
I use the rubber kind ....I think they are black also......it rains here alot...new one every year....just because:p

johnnyapollo
10/27/2007, 07:40 AM
I've used silblades in the past then switched to the PIAA - those lasted just short of 2 years (had the silblades on over 4). I just ordered a new set of silblades (this time I tried the gold color - I think it's closer to the proton's color - the yellow is too light). I'm looking forward to using them again.

-- John

BeeVenom
11/24/2007, 08:19 AM
I have PIAA's on my BeeVenom along with rain-X coating and they've been great for three years now. No complaints whatsoever.
Scott

don moore
12/02/2007, 09:39 AM
Well i have to say ...Here in oregon were it rains sometimes.....hehe
I picked up a set of " Michelin Optimum "blades...I like the look and they are the best so far..very easy to install and they wipe so smooth and clear..
http://www.michelinwiperblade.com/

I picked then up from walmart

FYI

ZEUS
12/02/2007, 09:59 AM
What about winter blades? Anyone have better or worse experiences with certain brands when the snow flies? I hate when the wipers freeze to the windshield overnight or when ice builds up going down the road!

johnnyapollo
12/02/2007, 06:39 PM
You won't have a problem with pure silicon blades.

-- John

Pepino
12/09/2007, 05:28 PM
i just bought michellin ones for like 16 dollars each and i cant get the driver side one off to put the new ones but they work the same as the ones i had before can anyone tell me how to take the drivers side windshield wiper off please! i know it sounds stupid but i have tried everything and i just cant get it off

don moore
12/09/2007, 06:40 PM
should be the same as the pass..side.
sometimes you have to press in the old clip to remove it..

Reg Hinnant
12/09/2007, 09:51 PM
Using new Silblade "Flexblades" and I like them a lot. Old standard Silblades lasted about 4 years.

JHarris1385
02/14/2008, 02:33 PM
I just purchased the Rain-X latitude blades for $7 a piece - $13 off sale. Have not installed yet so I do not know how they perform.

http://www.rainx.com/offer/

jdm monkey
02/14/2008, 03:50 PM
yup Rain-X ftw!!!

JHarris1385
02/22/2008, 06:59 AM
Update the RAIN-X latitudes are AWESOME.

tom4bren
05/04/2009, 11:13 AM
Yup - the Rain-X worked good for almost a year ... but just noticed the other day that the passenger side rubber tore almost 2 inches.

Guess I'd better start googling PIAA.

Pepino - I don't have any trouble getting my drivers side off, as a matter of fact it falls off everytime I lift the wiper away from the windshield. Maybe PO did have troubles & bent it in the past???

VehiGAZ
05/04/2009, 11:50 AM
I used to be a big fan of Valeo wipers, but that's all over. These are the ones that replace the lattice-work of hinged arms on a normal wiper with a blade reinforced with strips of spring steel to keep them on the glass.

I found that the plastic mounts get brittle in the winter and fall apart. Bosch came out with a similar design, but I haven't tried them out yet.

crager34
05/04/2009, 02:29 PM
I use the bosch icon wiper blades.. I think they are the best. I ran an icon on the driver's side and a micro edge excel on the pass side, and the icons are wiping better longer... so I'm going with both icons next time

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon.htm

I love these as well.... hardly any streaking or gaps. I did also buy the Anco brand that look alot like the Bosch and they worked good, but didn't last as long.

etlsport
05/04/2009, 06:16 PM
i just put the anco frameless wipers (called anco contour) on my truck cause i got them at work 20% off.. they work really well to wisk water away.. but i noticed that on the way back down, they slash water 3-4 inches back into the field of vision in the center where they connect to the wiper arms

don moore
05/04/2009, 09:03 PM
im using rain-x wipers now so far good

tom4bren
06/22/2009, 03:21 PM
RainX went Tango Uniform on me. I'm trying out Bosch now. So far so good.

lasturbo
06/22/2009, 03:48 PM
I like the Anco Aerovantage Blade for our area in San Diego. I am sure they are not the best in the snow. They were $9.99 for the 24" and $7.99 for the 17" each at Pep Boys. Part numbers are 91-24 and 91.17.

Gussie2000
06/22/2009, 05:40 PM
i put on some bosch blades 18 months ago (the middle grade ones that still have a structure to them, not the icons that are just rubber) workin great

I use the same but without the structure,i guess they all does a good job :yesgray:

JAMAS
06/23/2009, 05:12 AM
Love the Bosch Icons!!!!

The VX is my bad weather dream car.