PDA

View Full Version : door window change

xiaoz
09/24/2007, 02:06 PM
I hate to say this, but stevens creek isuzu dealer in bay area is asking a fortune to replace my driver side window, labor + parts $540, I called merlin in isuzu ST charles and got it for about $190, now I have to replace it myself, just wondering how hard it is to do it myself. My window has the same notorious problem everyone knows, that little part on the glass broke, and have to change the whole window, what a bummer.

BTW, i just downloaded the vehicross manual, not sure if I can do it myself. :confused:

any advice welcome.

thx
Xiaoz

mdwyer
09/24/2007, 04:31 PM
BTW, i just downloaded the vehicross manual, not sure if I can do it myself. :confused:

Well, the window is held in with two screws. It is dead easy to fix into place. The problem is getting it installed into the door. The manual will help you do that part, I guess. I wasn't able to make it work, personally... but then, you have to remove a fair number of parts to the window to come out, and I wasn't ready to do all that, yet.

creeg
09/24/2007, 05:10 PM
Its pretty easy-

-remove the hardware on the inside of the door
-pop off the door panel (be careful of the plastic snaps)
-lift the plastic moisture barrier to get access in the door (make it so that you can seal it back up again)
-unbolt the old window hardware (2 bolts)
-install the new one
-test to make sure its aligned correctly before tightening down bolts
-reassemble

LUBE the channels- and re-lube every 2-3 months, more often if in wet region of country.

Should take 2 hours for a first-timer.

IndianaVX
09/25/2007, 09:45 AM
are you replacing the whole window just because of the clips????? i would replace just the clips if thats the case, or get ahold of dino, i think, with his solution.
there are also clips at gm dealerships that worked, i think 3 bucks a piece, the search should bring that up.
anyway, just thought it was alot of trouble, and money, for a clip fix....

rowhard
09/25/2007, 05:41 PM
are you replacing the whole window just because of the clips????? i would replace just the clips if thats the case, or get ahold of dino, i think, with his solution.
there are also clips at gm dealerships that worked, i think 3 bucks a piece, the search should bring that up.
anyway, just thought it was alot of trouble, and money, for a clip fix....

someone here, can't remember who even though I bought some from him is manufacturing a better clip that has some adjustment to it. Also, if you look at my thread; http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=22 there are a few photo's on the door panel removal. good luck

JHarris1385
09/25/2007, 08:50 PM
someone here, can't remember who even though I bought some from him is manufacturing a better clip that has some adjustment to it.

That would be SBC

kwynn
09/26/2007, 10:47 AM
http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx/Technical/Window_Bert.asp
:)

bigkoala1
09/26/2007, 11:02 AM
Its pretty easy-

-remove the hardware on the inside of the door
-pop off the door panel (be careful of the plastic snaps)
-lift the plastic moisture barrier to get access in the door (make it so that you can seal it back up again)
-unbolt the old window hardware (2 bolts)
-install the new one
-test to make sure its aligned correctly before tightening down bolts
-reassemble

LUBE the channels- and re-lube every 2-3 months, more often if in wet region of country.

Should take 2 hours for a first-timer.

creeg, what do you use to lube the channels?

IndianaVX
09/26/2007, 01:04 PM
koala,
im not creeg, but i think he would say the same....i and MANY others use silicone spray, preferably a can that you can insert the little red tube into the nozzle, so you can spray accuratly into the channel....all the channel, both above, and behind the door panel, anywhere the glass will rub on the rubber. the silicone is cheap, so you can really spray it down. be careful, use some short shots of spray till you figure out how it comes out.....you dont want this stuff in your eyes, or on your seats, paint, steering wheel, dog, parrot, etc.

creeg
09/26/2007, 02:32 PM
IndianaVX said it perfectly: Silicone spray is the way to go.

Uhhh... "parrot"?

etlsport
09/26/2007, 02:48 PM
just dont use WD40.... good on hinges.. not so good on door tracks.... it got my tracks all sorts of gummed up... ldub mentioned some stuff called Jig-a-loo that comes in an orange can.. i found mine at home depot.. my windows seemed to slow down when i first used it and i cursed his name... then after a couple of hours my windows worked beautifully.. so i retracted my cursing of his name heh (sorry u had to find out this way dub)

also when u do that esp the first time.. take a popsicle stick the back end of a spoon or something like that wrapped in a paper towel or shop rag (wrap it a couple times to make sure you dont tear through and scrape the track) and run it up and down inside the window channels to clean some of the gunk in there... that gunk will slow your windows down too

SBC
09/27/2007, 06:43 PM
Here is the link for the Metal Window Tabs to replace the stock plastic ones that always brake...........Cheaper then replacing the whole glass
http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.htm