PDA

View Full Version : is this safe?

etlsport
09/17/2007, 07:13 PM
while trying to pull a stuck car out of a ditch.. i realized that my D ring shackles don't fit through one of my rear tow points (the one on the exhaust side) the pins are too big.. but it fits through the one on the other side no problem.. so thinking about opening the hole up another 1/16" or so.. would this compromise the tow point too much? anyone else have this problem? i believe the pins for the shackles are 7/8" diameter

Triathlete
09/17/2007, 09:46 PM
OR you could buy smaller shackles!

Ldub
09/18/2007, 04:28 AM
I've heard from a couple different trail boss types (who are way more experienced than I am) at various off road events, that the rear tie down points on our frame are just that...tie down points for securing during shipping, not meant as tow points.
I'm not sure if they were being overly cautious, but they are weaker than the front hook which is designed for pulling.
Take it for what it's worth, just what I've heard.
On the other side of the argument, I've strapped a couple rigs out of trouble using the r/r tow loop, & have seen a half dozen others do the same.

etlsport
09/18/2007, 07:27 AM
OR you could buy smaller shackles!

wow never thought of that! j/k heh... i ordered the size shackle that tone recommended, so i figured that i shouldn't go smaller

hm thats interesting ldub... i wonder if it would be better to get actual tow hooks to mount/weld back there to be safe? i guess i could always just get a mount that goes into the tow hitch

orion
09/18/2007, 04:02 PM
what you need is one of these....http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/D_ring_reciver.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/D_ring_reciver.JPG) i made this one, but you can find them on eBay for a decent price.

wekilled
04/01/2011, 02:01 PM
What size(s) shackle did Tone (RIP) say was best for the holes in both front and back of the VX? Looking for a size that doesn't wiggle around too much at either area, even if I need to grind out the hole a little.

NOTE: Mine are more for cosmetic, as I already have a frame mounted multi-ball/hook hitch unit in back which has worked great out at the off-road park.)

In the front I snagged an extra Trooper hook, (the type with the wire clip on it) for the side that didn't have one.

etlsport
04/01/2011, 03:45 PM
I have 7/8" shackles bought at Tone's recommendation. They fit on the passenger side rear, but not the driver's, with a very small modification you could make them fit though. I think that Marlin got other mounts for his in the front, maybe talk to him to see what he did to get shackles up there

wekilled
04/01/2011, 04:37 PM
Sounds good. Just realized that I can't do the fronts without modding my mounting plates for my Merc grille guard. Might see if I can find a rubber or nylon grommet to keep it from bouncing around when going over bumps. I think I have seen those grommets in the hardware bins at Home Depot.

Will look at the rears per both of you guys though. Thanks.

Junster
04/04/2011, 06:29 PM
I just took those off my rear frame so I could install a tow hitch. The one on the passenger rear is hella strong. Bolts from the side (2) and the bottom. The drivers side rear has just the bottom bolt. Looks like it was just a tie down while the VX was being shipped here. The box frame isn't that thick. If you pulled hard on the driver's rear you'd bend something but you could pull pretty hard on the pass. rear with no problem. BTW fishing the carriage bolts down thru the frame after drilling for the hitch was a real pita. Good news for me is my VX pulls my jetski like it isn't even there.

wekilled
04/05/2011, 08:39 AM
I'll have to get under the rear bumper and educate myself this weekend.

I dont think I can do anything about the front with the threads blocked as I am keeping my grille guard, but I have hooks on either side (from a Trooper) anyway.

Will have to spray some breakfree or something around the rear bolts to loosen them.

I also have a frame hitch installed and a VXC skid, so I feel your pain there.

tom4bren
04/05/2011, 09:52 AM
Eric,

Rumor has it that those rear tie down points are fully adequate to snatch a VX out of a tadpole pond.

Tom

etlsport
04/05/2011, 10:51 AM
Eric,

Rumor has it that those rear tie down points are fully adequate to snatch a VX out of a tadpole pond.

Tom

hmm its possible, but without photographic or video evidence i guess nobody will ever know :_confused

tom4bren
04/05/2011, 11:48 AM
hmm its possible, but without photographic or video evidence i guess nobody will ever know :_confused

HMMM

You need to purge your gallery then:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11091/ppuser/2141/sl/e

& there were witnesses!!!

AlaskaVX
04/05/2011, 02:15 PM
I tried the rear driver side attachment once and it ripped it right off, the passenger side one has pulled out quite a few though. Also got me out of thick mud 1/3 the way up the door.

tom4bren
04/05/2011, 02:33 PM
He's cool. We snatched him out of the tadpole pond using the passenger side.

etlsport
04/05/2011, 02:40 PM
Thats why t4b is my hero. he and cstyles saved me! :)

Ldub
04/05/2011, 03:17 PM
Sounds good. Just realized that I can't do the fronts without modding my mounting plates for my Merc grille guard. Might see if I can find a rubber or nylon grommet to keep it from bouncing around when going over bumps. I think I have seen those grommets in the hardware bins at Home Depot.

Will look at the rears per both of you guys though. Thanks.

This will maybe put a smile on your face...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=184508&postcount=44

Found within this (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17190&highlight=shackle) thread.

wekilled
04/06/2011, 09:13 AM
Out-freakin-standing! Great use of plumbing supplies as well! Now to go to Home Depot.

Thanks for the great idea.