PDA

View Full Version : How to easily turn off the ABS light permanently

deermagnet
09/14/2007, 03:43 PM
edit

johnnyapollo
09/14/2007, 04:19 PM
You must not need an emissions sticker - here in Atlanta your VX would pull a code and fail the emissions. At least that's what I've been led to believe. Those of you thinking about doing this had better check local regulations if there's an inspection involved.

-- John

Tone
09/14/2007, 05:36 PM
Gene pool cleansing - I love it!

Thejerseyfish
09/15/2007, 12:30 AM
Could that possibly throw a code for emissions? Isn't that wire just a relay from the brains to the light telling it to trun on? Where and how would emissions come into play there?

psychos2
09/15/2007, 07:23 AM
Could that possibly throw a code for emissions? Isn't that wire just a relay from the brains to the light telling it to trun on? Where and how would emissions come into play there?

If the light is on there is a problem with the abs it will throw a code. If the light is disconnected and there is a problem with the abs it will still throw a code. When they do an emission test they hook it up to a computer and check for codes. Some states may require the abs to be working properly, and you will fail the inspection. shawn

johnnyapollo
09/15/2007, 08:44 AM
What Shawn said - here in Atlanta pretty much any code will cause you to fail emissions because the shop won't continue doing the inspection until the code is cleared - it's not that it's part of emissions, but that it's causing a code to appear. My thought was more general in that many states require a general safety inspection, where an ABS light would most likely cause a failure due to safety concerns. That's why I said you should check the local inspection regs.

-- John

tom4bren
09/18/2007, 11:01 AM
I had the SRS light come on in my daughter's car. VA inspection requires the light to come on for 5-15 seconds (I'm guessing at the actual numbers) then go off. They don't bother hooking up the diagnostic computer to test for codes. If the light stays on - you've got a problem. If the light never comes on - you HAD a problem and fixed it like any good redneck. I assume that the ABS is handled the same way.

johnnyapollo
09/18/2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds like his fix would fail in VA then - since bending back the pin prevents the light from coming on at all (disabled power to it).

-- John

tom4bren
09/18/2007, 01:29 PM
That's what I said - you just used less words. LOL

johnnyapollo
09/18/2007, 02:32 PM
;)

deermagnet
09/18/2007, 06:15 PM
As with anything you change on a vehicle, such as window tinting, changing light colors, adding wheels and tires that stick out past the body, a loud muffler, etc., check your local laws and regs first. There's no need to assume or speculate about ABS and inspections. Just ask your friendly local inspection mechanic about having the ABS light on or if it won't come on at all. That's pretty easy. Some state auto inspection procedures can be found online. Here's what I found for PA vehicles at www.pacode.com-
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/image/image4/abs.gif

That's not real clear, but it seems like even if the ABS light is on, as long as the brakes work fine, I'm good to go. I need an inspection by the end of October, so of course, I'll let ya know what happens.

Mark

deermagnet
10/12/2007, 12:20 PM
As expected, my VX passed the state inspection today with no problem. Air quality is good in my area so there is no exhaust testing, just a quick visual inspection of emission controls.
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/inspec.png

Afterwards I asked the inspection dude about ABS and he confirmed it doesn't have to be working as long as the brakes work fine without it. I could be wrong, but I don't believe an OBD scan would find any ABS codes anyway, or airbag and TOD codes. They're not related to the CEL and can't be read with a simple OBDII scanner.

Mark

etlsport
10/12/2007, 12:48 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't believe an OBD scan would find any ABS or airbag codes anyway. They're not related to the CEL and can't be read with a simple OBDII scanner.

Mark

correctamundo.. need to have the dealership programming stuff to read the abs lights, my abs light doesn't show up when i scan w/ the scangauge

kpaske
10/13/2007, 01:13 PM
As expected, my VX passed the state inspection today with no problem. Air quality is good in my area so there is no exhaust testing, just a quick visual inspection of emission controls.
I've passed emissions testing in WA state with an ABS light on, and I know they check ODBII codes so it must not throw one.

Rooster
10/14/2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the tip! Mines been on for a year now and cant figure it out. Also you are correct, ODB II will not pick up ABS codes. If they did, why would you want to spend $75 for the dealer to read the ABS code?

Also, link to the ABS switch?

deermagnet
10/14/2007, 04:33 PM
Also, link to the ABS switch?

On for a year? My light was on for less than two days and I couldn't stand it anymore. :)

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/switch.html (http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/switch.html)

Remove neg batt cable. Take apart the underhood fuse box and locate the heavy white wire under the ABS fuse. Cut it and loop it outside the box thru the relay and back. When you send power to the relay, no more ABS till you turn the ignition off and on again.

Mark

Rooster
10/14/2007, 09:13 PM
BTW-Found this in the online manual...

set the ABS to a
non-operative state by removing the fuse for the ABS
(40A). After the battery has been recharged, stop the
engine and install the ABS fuse. Start the engine again,
and confirm that the ABS warning light does not light.

nfpgasmask
10/15/2007, 08:46 AM
Mine just came on last week and has been on and off since. But like many have said, I think I like braking better with my ABS not working...

Bart

etlsport
10/15/2007, 08:56 AM
my abs light seems to be related to heat somehow.. when it first happened, letting the vx sit overnight would turn the abs light off.. then after 6-10 miles it would come back on.. worked like this for a few weeks.. then it got really hot out (90-100) and the light would stay on for a couple days at a time.. then it was always on... then when the temps dropped to about 50-60 the light went back out and didnt come back on again for 20-30 miles of driving its now 60-70 and its back to going out overnight and coming back on after 5-10 miles in the morning.. strange!

CrnCnn
10/15/2007, 08:58 AM
Mine has been on since we went to the flats. I think I may try one of these fixes.

nfpgasmask
10/15/2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, mine came on after driving in 4x4 down the side of Peavine in the snow last week...I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but...

Bart

Mine has been on since we went to the flats. I think I may try one of these fixes.