PDA

View Full Version : VX Towing

tom4bren
09/10/2007, 06:11 AM
Well, I finally installed the trailer wiring adapter. It was pretty easy but took a while since I soldered all of the connections. Yeah, I know - what took so long since I installed the hitch 6 weeks ago. I told you I procrastinate.

We towed the boat to the Potomac on Saturday. The VX tows well but you can certainly 'feel' it behind you. I did have to run with the Power switch on because I was having a hard time pulling some of the hills without it. The boat is a SeaDoo Sportster weighing in at about 2,000 lbs with the trailer. I guess with the 33's, that's about the limit for towing for us.

I took a couple of pictures but forgot to bring in the memory card this morning. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

ZEUS
09/10/2007, 08:35 AM
Did you get an auxillary tranny cooler yet?

johnnyapollo
09/10/2007, 08:41 AM
I had a tandom axel trailer behind my VX with about 4K lbs in books - didn't have any issues pulling but stopping was a huge issue. First time I came to a stop sign I ended up in the middle of the intersection. I then learned to do gradual braking when approaching a stop and all was well.

-- John

thedutchguy
09/10/2007, 08:55 AM
I had a tandom axel trailer behind my VX with about 4K lbs in books - didn't have any issues pulling but stopping was a huge issue. First time I came to a stop sign I ended up in the middle of the intersection. I then learned to do gradual braking when approaching a stop and all was well.

-- John

Don't you guys have trailerbrakes?

http://www.caravantrekker.nl/algemeen/images/oploop2.gif

nfpgasmask
09/10/2007, 09:15 AM
Only very expensive trailers have brakes on them....for us little guys towing a quad or wave runner, most of the trailers are just simple pull trailers with wiring for brake lights.

If I were to tow a small trailer with say, a Polaris Rzr or a quad, would I need a tranny cooler?

Bart

Don't you guys have trailerbrakes?

http://www.caravantrekker.nl/algemeen/images/oploop2.gif

tom4bren
09/10/2007, 10:24 AM
"Did you get an auxillary tranny cooler yet?"

Naw, I only tow it about 30-40 miles at a stretch & Tranny heat didn't seem to be an issue. If I ever decide to tow it down to Tennessee (Watauga Lake) I might look into it.

"Don't you guys have trailerbrakes?"

I'd love to have surge brakes on it, but it wasn't offered & I have too many other "honey do's" on the list to tackle something like that right now. I've been thinking about getting a trailer for a 21 foot boat & modifying it to hold the boat & both jetskis but so far it's just a concept in my head. I also thought about putting a receiver on the back of the jetski trailer & towing the boat behind that but was told it's slightly illegal (even though I've seen a couple of other people doing it this year). In either of those cases, I'd definitely add surge brakes (P.S. I hate electric brakes and would never go that route).

"If I were to tow a small trailer with say, a Polaris Rzr or a quad, would I need a tranny cooler?"

It's never a bad idea to add the Tranny cooler but I don't think that it would be necessary in your application. Basically, you need to decide based upon: the maximum load you'll be hauling, terrain (lots of hill climbing will certainly bring up the tranny temps), and environment (if you're running through Death Valley in the summer, you may want the tranny cooler even if you aren't towing anything).

Johnny - How long did it take before you started breathing normally again after that? I did that once with a heavy load of firewood in the back of my ol' Dodge.

bigkoala1
09/10/2007, 11:30 AM
i tow a 21ft apache with my vx. like you all said "you can feel it there" ...no problems going up the ramp, but it has a hard time backing into the driveway. did anyone else notice that?

johnnyapollo
09/10/2007, 11:32 AM
There wasn't any traffic so I didn't get too excited - it was more of a "daaaaayum" moment than anything. Mike Pate (who used to be on the forums back when he had a Proton) was in the truck with me and he gave me one of those raised eyebrow looks, as you could probably imagine.

-- John

tom4bren
09/10/2007, 11:42 AM
"did anyone else notice that?"

Never noticed anything while backing up ('cept can't see). Then again, my driveway is flat so haven't tried backing up hill.

bigkoala1
09/10/2007, 12:14 PM
i noticed in a earlier post you (tom4bren) said you tow with the power button on.. do you leave it on while you are backing. or does it make a difference?

tom4bren
09/10/2007, 12:33 PM
I don't think that the power button will make any difference when you are backing up. Someone - Anyone - please correct me if I'm wrong here but: the power button only sets the transmission to downshift easier, I don't think that it actually sets anything different on the engine. It could (through the magic of the computer) advance the timing or set the fuel injection to run richer or something of that nature but I don't think it does.

Some pix of the rig.

tom4bren
09/11/2007, 11:17 AM
I put higher res pix in the gallery.

Chopper
09/11/2007, 01:55 PM
all it does is affect shift points...almost redline at W.O.T. / like 3200 at %50 throttle. Didn't know it affected downshifts....but then, I've never not had the button down.

tom4bren
09/11/2007, 02:14 PM
I guess the net effect is to make downshift easier since the shift points are set differently. All I know is that when pulling a steep hill with the button off, I had to floor it to get it to downshift. With the button on, much less accelerator pressure to downshift. Of course I could have manually downshifted but didn't think of that at the time.

psychos2
09/11/2007, 02:56 PM
i tow a 21ft apache with my vx. like you all said "you can feel it there" ...no problems going up the ramp, but it has a hard time backing into the driveway. did anyone else notice that?

Whenever I am backing up a hill with a trailer I use 4 LO. shawn

bigkoala1
09/11/2007, 03:17 PM
:cool: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vxboat_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vxboat_001.jpg)

CrnCnn
09/12/2007, 04:43 AM
:cool: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vxboat_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vxboat_001.jpg)
See, you cant throw up a pic of a muddy VX with a "dirty" girl. Then post a pic of a VX all shiny with a boat and no bikinis :)

bigkoala1
09/12/2007, 08:33 AM
See, you cant throw up a pic of a muddy VX with a "dirty" girl. Then post a pic of a VX all shiny with a boat and no bikinis :)

next time!

i think the truck is clean because it rained. it does that once in a while down here!

tom4bren
09/12/2007, 09:02 AM
"Whenever I am backing up a hill with a trailer I use 4 LO."

Not good. There may be enough slip built into the transfer case in 4 LO but I would NEVER risk using it on dry pavement (especially with the tight manuevering in backing up a boat).

bigkoala1
09/12/2007, 11:17 AM

Not good. There may be enough slip built into the transfer case in 4 LO but I would NEVER risk using it on dry pavement (especially with the tight manuevering in backing up a boat).

thank you
so its better just to rev up the motor to get it to move than to putin low gear?

ZEUS
09/12/2007, 11:57 AM
In a straight line, it would be fine to use 4 Low. The sharp turns on dry pavement is the real problem here. If you can manuveur your VX to be straight with the boat before you start backing up the hill then put it in 4 Low, it should be fine.

bigkoala1
09/12/2007, 12:02 PM
backing in a strait line isnt the problem. turning and backing is when it seems to get stuck . that when I have to get on it alittle just to get it to move.

thank you for your input.

JHarris1385
09/12/2007, 12:36 PM
next time!

i think the truck is clean because it rained. it does that once in a while down here!

Im guessing it rains tire shine and cloths and places them behind your front tires too? Thats awesome, I know where Im moving to now.

Your VX looks great.

psychos2
09/12/2007, 02:05 PM

We do it at work all the time with big boats and hills you have no choice. I have done it with my vx no issues. Do any of you use 4 lo when offroad on rocks ,maybe MOAB , same thing. Just don't drive down the road going 45 mph on dry pavement. shawn

ZEUS
09/12/2007, 03:08 PM
We do it at work all the time with big boats and hills you have no choice. I have done it with my vx no issues. Do any of you use 4 lo when offroad on rocks ,maybe MOAB , same thing. Just don't drive down the road going 45 mph on dry pavement. shawn

I know what you are saying, but the difference is we are very light on the go pedal and the tires do chirp to slip. With some power behind it... I'm not sure what would happen and don't care to find out. But if you back up all the time in 4-low there must not be any issue. With that said, I have backed a few trailers myself and only use 4-low when the trailer just won't move. No explosions at those times, and that is when there is the most resistance. Soo... :_confused

psychos2
09/12/2007, 05:47 PM
I know what you are saying, but the difference is we are very light on the go pedal and the tires do chirp to slip. With some power behind it... I'm not sure what would happen and don't care to find out. But if you back up all the time in 4-low there must not be any issue. With that said, I have backed a few trailers myself and only use 4-low when the trailer just won't move. No explosions at those times, and that is when there is the most resistance. Soo... :_confused

They do the same thing when on dry pavement. shawn

bigkoala1
09/13/2007, 10:08 AM
They do the same thing when on dry pavement. shawn

so the bottom line is, dont put in low gear to back up unless your stuck?

psychos2
09/13/2007, 02:03 PM
so the bottom line is, dont put in low gear to back up unless your stuck?

I put it in lo when backing up with a trailer on pavement or not. shawn

Ascinder
09/14/2007, 05:40 AM
If I were to tow a small trailer with say, a Polaris Rzr or a quad, would I need a tranny cooler?

Need, probably not, but......you do live in Nevada and tranny coolers are super affordable insurance(like $50)vs. a new tranny($$$$$$$$$). Also when doing research for a prop speed reduction unit(airplane tranny) I am designing, I talked to quite a few transmission guru guys and they all said that the cooler you keep the xmsn fluid, the longer your transmission will last. The benefits were really staggering. The temperature affects the transmissions life on an exponential level. I have thinking about this mod myself, but I currently have some seriously epic projects on the horizon that would negate the effects. They are however easy as hell to install(think brackets to hold the cooler and a hose connection). A good idea would be to either rig up some active cooling(fan) or build up a well designed air intake/exhaust shroud to help cool it. Otherwise you are just adding surface area to your trans. which while it does work, really only works very little.