PDA

View Full Version : To High-Def or not to High-Def

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 02:36 PM
OK, so my favorite movie of all time (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/) is finally getting the mega-awesome-super-duper-mack-daddy DVD release it most definitely deserves this December.

Here's the catch. There is a "regular" version, a Bluray version and a high definition version being released. I am also planning to invest in a large screen DLP TV that is high-def capable.

Now, it is my understanding that in order to play a high-def DVD you need a high-def DVD player, and these are still pretty pricey I think.

So, I am wondering, how much different is the high-def version really going to be? Is it worth it for me to invest in the high-def player?

I am leaning towards yes, but I wanted to see if anyone out there who is high-def saavy could shed some light (plus I am really bored).

Thanks,

Bart

Chopper
09/07/2007, 03:45 PM
Ultimatly,you've no choice....Other than watch it or not

etlsport
09/07/2007, 04:47 PM
id go w/ hi def.. makes a nice bit of difference.. and imho blue ray is not gonna be around for very long

Hotsauce
09/07/2007, 09:58 PM
The Sony PS3 is one of the most versitile inexpensive systems capable of playing all of these formats.

It also has HDMI 1.3 output, the newer standard.

John C.

Triathlete
09/07/2007, 10:02 PM
I was wondering if I should upgrade to Beta, VHS or should I splurge and pick up one of those super duper high end Laser Disc players? :_drool: :rotate:

I know there are one or two people here old enough to know what I'm talking about...for the rest of you "youngsters", I guess you'll have to google! :naughty:

CrnCnn
09/07/2007, 10:20 PM
I was wondering if I should upgrade to Beta, VHS or should I splurge and pick up one of those super duper high end Laser Disc players? :_drool: :rotate:

I know there are one or two people here old enough to know what I'm talking about...for the rest of you "youngsters", I guess you'll have to google! :naughty:
My friends gramma still uses Beta at her cabin in the white mountains.

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
09/08/2007, 10:51 AM
I think Blu-ray is the format of choice simply because of it capacity.Blu-ray holds almost twice as much as Hd-dvd and that will mean something as movie are released in 7.1 or if studios decided to release movie series on high definition format.Hd-dvd is cheaper from a hardware standpoint, but I think as we inch closer to X-mas that will change.I still don't have either one, and I am not sure I will invest in one till they release all the star wars movies in hi def.

UtahVXer
09/08/2007, 12:15 PM
I think Blu-ray is the way to go. It looks very likely that Blu-ray will win this format war. Not only is it a superior format, but they have greater support from the big players in the industry like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, (HDDVD has Toshiba and Microsoft) and major film studios like Columbia, MGM, Walt Disney. (Though Paramount inexplicably switched to HDDVD.) Blockbuster decided last June to only carry Blu-ray in stores. See:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070618180204/http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/18/blockbuster.blu.ray.ap/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

WyrreJ
09/08/2007, 05:02 PM
Both BLU-RAY and HD-DVD can be played on a PC with a good enough graphics card (roughly $150 now). A ~$150 sound card will also rival the best dedicated players out there too. That set up will outclass even the best (multi-thousand dollar) players for regular DVD play back too.

If you don't care too much about the WAF (wife acceptance factor) the $150 HD-DVD from the xbox 360 can be plugged into any PC and used to play (and even rip) any current HD-DVD discs. There is a blu-ray drive in the $300 range that works just as well for BD discs on a PC too.

If you have the room, I also suggest going with a projector. if you have not looked into it, you will be amazed at the picture quality you can get for under $2000 nowadays. My primary 'tv' is a projector on a 96" wide (wide, not diagonal) screen. I have to pull the blinds in the middle of the day, but other wise it works great. Once you've gone big screen it's painful to go back to one of those teeny-tiny <50" screens.

One great thing about a projector setup is that it takes up less space than an LCD or plasma because it is just little 10lbs box at one end of the room and a retractable screen at the other end. When I roll the screen up, no one even knows there is a "tv" in the room.

WyrreJ
09/08/2007, 05:10 PM
PS - While I am format agnostic (since both BLU-RAY and HD-DVD are currently rippable like regular DVDs have been forever) I'd like to point out that Sony (the primary proponent of BLU-RAY) is the Devil.

Sony has a track record of doing whatever they feel like in the name of 'protecting' their movies and music, including breaking the law. That includes putting trojan horses on their music CDs that 'phone home' if you put one in your PC among other nefarious tactics. They are also the most active in attempting to put the genie back in the bottle and make CDs and DVDs unrippable - constantly coming up with new ways to make playing their discs harder. In other words, they actively try to screw their paying customers, thus making the pirated versions (which have been stripped of all that crap) the better product, regardless of price.

UtahVXer
09/09/2007, 05:49 PM
To complicate things further, a third option is entering the melee. See: http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,136977/printable.html Less expensive because it uses a red laser instead of blue like the other two; but no content is available yet.
Anyone interested in decrypting HD can find info here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd

MZ-N10
09/09/2007, 09:13 PM
The Sony PS3 is one of the most versitile inexpensive systems capable of playing all of these formats.

It also has HDMI 1.3 output, the newer standard.

John C.

ps3 is only blu-ray capable. you will need a 360 for hd-dvd.

WormGod
09/10/2007, 06:59 AM
ps3 is only blu-ray capable. you will need a 360 for hd-dvd.

And if my information is correct, ALL future XBox 360s will have HDMI. The limited Elite version is supposed to be the norm for what all 360s will feature, as well as a couple of other "fixes". Of course, for HDDVD with it, you need to buy the player separately, but I have seen offers of $170 PLUS you get like 8 free movies or something like that.

Blu-Ray is better by some standards, but is in no way more superior. All of this fluff is only gonna be as good as your home entertainment system. Keep that in mind no matter what you buy. I personally have the 360 with the HDDVD player set up on my fairly up-to-date system and it is enough to make me happy and keep neighbors and friends talking.

The only real pi55er about it all is, Sony LOVES to horde up many good titles so lots of good movies are Blu-Ray only right now. They are also throwing their money and weight around to outlets like Target and such to ONLY sell Blu-Ray and not HDDVD. But, I always found its best to shop for your movies ONLINE. Usually you can find better prices, more titles, and most of the time.... free shipping.

I actually am investing in upgrading my Directv gear. Upgraded my receiver from an H10 to an H20 and got my hands on a 5lmb oval dish to upgrade my current one. Just need to wait for my new access card and B-converter to come from Directv and get them to mount up my new dish so I can take advantage of the new satellite they launched this summer. :cool:

nfpgasmask
09/10/2007, 08:14 AM
Hmmmm, all good info. Thanks everyone. As of right now, I will go with the HD version and I will probably buy a HD DVD player. I don't have a Xbox or a PS3, and I am not about to spend the money on that stuff (PC games are better!) but I did see a Toshiba HD player for like $350 and I am sure they will come down a little by the time I am ready to setup my home theater....

Thanks - Bart

UtahVXer
09/10/2007, 11:50 AM
Bart,
Check out Costco. They have the Toshiba HD DVD for 249.99 and it includes any 5 HD DVDs of your choice (by rebate)!
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11234951&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1