PDA

View Full Version : Getting through the firewall...

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 12:47 PM
OK, so how do I get through the VX firewall?

I recently purchased 4 Hella Rallye 4000 lights, which are already mounted to my custom light bar. The plan is to run the wires back along my roof basket, through a hole yet to be drilled in the center mount of the roof spoiler, down, through my head liner, down my driver's side A pillar and into the switch, and also through the firewall to the battery.

Tips? Pointers? Options?

Sunday is the day I plan to tackle this.

Thanks - Bart

etlsport
09/07/2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/power_wire.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/power_wire.jpg)

heres how i did my stereo... there are two grommets there.. i used the upper one

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 01:17 PM
Awesome dude! Thanks for the pic. So, where do these come out on the other side? Is it pretty obvious once I get my dash trim off?

Thanks - Bart

etlsport
09/07/2007, 01:20 PM
yea its pretty obvious.. it comes out to the passenger side of the steering column maybe 6" up.. if you pull the grommet completely out to begin with to punch a hole in it to run the wire through.. just look up under the dash while its out adn u should be able to see light coming thru.. its pretty open infront of it

if u run into any wiring problems let me know.. ive run wires in pretty much every nook and cranny of the vx

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 01:29 PM
Cool, thanks. The only problem I forsee is needing to lengthen my wires to make them reach all the points they need to run to. Do you know, can I just buy any wire as long as its the same guage?

Also, the Hella wiring harnesses are made to attach to 2 lamps each, so I have 4 lamps, and 2 harnesses, and two switches. But, I only want 1 switch, so can I splice the wires together so it can all be powered by a single switch?

Thanks again,

Bart

yea its pretty obvious.. it comes out to the passenger side of the steering column maybe 6" up.. if you pull the grommet completely out to begin with to punch a hole in it to run the wire through.. just look up under the dash while its out adn u should be able to see light coming thru.. its pretty open infront of it

if u run into any wiring problems let me know.. ive run wires in pretty much every nook and cranny of the vx

Ldub
09/07/2007, 01:34 PM
I'd run two switches & relays, the switches & relays that come with the factory (Hella) harness are designed for the amp load that two lights draw, not four. ;)

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, so you are saying the load might blow a single switch? I can certainly do 2 switches, its not a big deal, I just hope they fit behind my switch blanks....I will find out this weekend.

Thanks - Bart

I'd run two switches & relays, the switches & relays that come with the factory (Hella) harness are designed for the amp load that two lights draw, not four. ;)

Ldub
09/07/2007, 01:53 PM
Hmmm, so you are saying the load might blow a single switch? I can certainly do 2 switches, its not a big deal, I just hope they fit behind my switch blanks....I will find out this weekend.

Thanks - Bart

I don't know that it would or wouldn't...but switches, relays & wiring harnesses in general are designed to handle the amp load of what they came with. Overloaded electrical componentry produces heat.
I'm far from expert in the wiring (or any other) field & probably shouldn't have replied, but I'd rather see you safe than sparky. ;)

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, indeed. I would much rather stay on the safe side.

Thanks - Bart

I don't know that it would or wouldn't...but switches, relays & wiring harnesses in general are designed to handle the amp load of what they came with. Overloaded electrical componentry produces heat.
I'm far from expert in the wiring (or any other) field & probably shouldn't have replied, but I'd rather see you safe than sparky. ;)

deermagnet
09/07/2007, 03:08 PM
But, I only want 1 switch, so can I splice the wires together so it can all be powered by a single switch?

Yes, you can do that with no problem. The relays draw less than one amp each. You can buy any switch you want, such as a lighted toggle and drill a hole in a blank for it. Wire the switch to both relays and you'll be drawing less than two amps thru the switch. That's the beauty of using relays. The switch never sees any of the high load needed to power the lights. Only a small current goes thru the switch to trip the relay and allow the high current to travel thru the relay only.

Maybe you could find a three-way switch. One position is off, next is one hot wire to one relay, next position is two hot wires to both relays. Your choice of two or four lights with one switch.

Also, be sure to power those relays separately. Run two wires from the battery to the relays. One wire to power all four lights would be a problem.

Mark

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 03:17 PM
Cool, that's what I thought....I will promptly post the results. I have a few mods in the works to be done this Sunday.

Bart

Yes, you can do that with no problem. The relays draw less than one amp each. You can buy any switch you want, such as a lighted toggle and drill a hole in a blank for it. Wire the switch to both relays and you'll be drawing less than two amps thru the switch. That's the beauty of using relays. The switch never sees any of the high load needed to power the lights. Only a small current goes thru the switch to trip the relay and allow the high current to travel thru the relay only.

Maybe you could find a three-way switch. One position is off, next is one hot wire to one relay, next postion is two hot wires to both relays. Your choice of two or four lights with one switch.

Mark

etlsport
09/07/2007, 04:43 PM
ive got two switches... one powers two lights aimed off towards the outside of the headlight beams and one powers two lights aimed out farther than the head light beams but straight... i like having two

and yea you should be fine with 1 switch powering two relays for two sets of lights if you want to go that route... make sure you have clean (fused - divide your wattage by 14 to get how many amps your fuse needs to be... ie two 70 watt lights would need a 10 amp fuse ) power going to your relays