PDA

View Full Version : Power Switch

ojmagg
09/06/2007, 07:29 AM
Last winter, I got some snow in the power switch. I think this shorted it out. I was thinking of replacing the whole unit (the winter switch is combined into 1 unit)...has anyone else replaced this unit? Is there any other items I should check (alreay checked the fuses).

MrCrowley
09/06/2007, 10:05 AM
I am no rocket scientist, and I may be able to check into this later on my own rig and get the info back to you tomorrow. In theory, you should be able to swap the connector into the "winter" button and verify on the dash whether your "power" light comes on when you depress the "winter" button. This would help in determining if the switch, or something else is malfunctioning. Of course, until I can get home I cannot verify if the connectors are the same. Maybe someone who has the ability to run outside and check this quicker could find out?

:luck:

etlsport
09/06/2007, 10:09 AM
the power and winter switches are the same assembly.. are you sure the switch isnt working? the light on mine went out.. its very easy to replace.... 8 screws to remove the center console and then the switches just push through the top of the console and the new one will push right into place and you can reuse the old connector... rodeos and troopers have the same switches so you can get it from them too

ojmagg
09/06/2007, 10:29 AM
Good points...

I ordered the new unit from St Charles...I'm too lazy do go down the JY path...yeah, the light is off...and the shift points don't change when it's depressed...winter button light comes on/works.

MrCrowley
09/06/2007, 10:35 AM
Do you mean the switch light on the button doesnt light so you can't see it at night to turn it on? Or that the switch doesnt tell the transmission to go into power mode, and have "power" written on your instument cluster near the speedo?

ojmagg
09/06/2007, 10:40 AM
Both...it's completely broken.

MrCrowley
09/06/2007, 10:48 AM
did you try to hook up the wires to the "winter" switch to see if you could engage the "power" mode?

etlsport
09/06/2007, 11:03 AM
the power and winter mode switch is one unit with one plug, you can't switch the wiring around... well im sure you could.. but it would take FAR more effort than its worth

MrCrowley
09/06/2007, 11:16 AM
Oh well, if you already ordered anyways. Was worth a shot if it was a quick and easy troubleshooting method.

ojmagg
09/11/2007, 07:34 AM
OK got the new switch, and power mode light and the function still don't work...is there a relay that I could have shorted out on down the circuit?

mdwyer
09/11/2007, 12:53 PM
OK got the new switch, and power mode light and the function still don't work...is there a relay that I could have shorted out on down the circuit?

I'm pretty sure that the switch goes directly to the computer, but I'd have to scan through the tech docs again to be sure.

In the meantime, I'd visually inspect the plug. Is it possible one of the contacts has fallen out of the back of the plug? Given the pinout and a steady hand, you might be able to test the harness with a paperclip, to see if the wires themselves are actually working.

The computer, by the way, is behind the bulge at the bottom of the radio stack. Is it possible that the wires down there were damaged? Was there a recent radio install?

ojmagg
09/12/2007, 04:40 AM
Nope, the pins are all there and not bent...and i've a stock audio setup...I've not touched that area in quite some time. :confused: