View Full Version : ABS module

WiSDoM
08/31/2007, 03:10 PM
Hello Guys, I need some info on the abs module. Does anyone know what is involved in replaceing it such as the steps etc...

just trying to determine if i will be able to do it or is it something for the dealer?

johnnyapollo
08/31/2007, 09:05 PM
It's relatively easy provided you have done a brake job before as you'll need to bleed all the brakes back to each wheel cylinder - while you're at it you might as well drain the fluid completely and upgrade to a full synthetic. Once you hook everything up and tighten the fittings, check and retighten on the ABS unit as mine leaked once the unit was full of fluid. Oh and as with anything that has an electrical component, you should disconnect the battery when you swap things out.

-- John

WiSDoM
09/01/2007, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the info. i believe I will tackle this today

Maugan_VX
09/01/2007, 07:10 AM
MY ABS unit has died for the second time. I'm beginning to think there's an issue other than just the module.

The dealer wants ~$2500 for that part and I'm not convinced that it dies as easily as they want me to believe.

gunpackingpoet
09/01/2007, 07:33 AM
$2500???? :eek:

My ABS light occassionally goes on, and they claimed something inside the ABS computer may have gotten 'loose'. I was told I needed to replace it, but I believe they told me it would cost me 400 plus labor.

WiSDoM
09/01/2007, 02:02 PM
I just replaced unit today and light is still on. it was from a salvage yard.
Is there a way to reeset the abs computer other than disconnecting the negative lead to the battery. all and all very unsatisfying day. i had the abs light checked by the dealer 65.00 maybe for nothing. the weird thing now is that there is a rattling or clicking sound coming from somewhere when i hit the brake, almost sounds like it is coming from the 4wd shifter.

any ideas

etlsport
09/01/2007, 02:26 PM
you can pull the fuse for the ECM in the fuse box in the engine bay.. that should reset your computer