PDA

View Full Version : Repack Front Wheel Bearings

DK
08/27/2007, 11:27 AM
The manual says to repack the bearings at 30,000 but when took the VX in for service they told me to hold off and do it when we did the breaks. Now I have 45,000 on the car and they just told me to hold off until 60,000 -- and that it's going to cost $400 to do the deed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

ojmagg
08/27/2007, 12:35 PM
Do it yourself and save the $...there's a great article link here...search for it...you need new seals and a few other things...you'll save 350...and you will know it's done right.

nfpgasmask
08/27/2007, 01:13 PM
I got the same spiel from my mech back in Chicago. I asked him if I should do a repack and he said there wasn't much play in my front end, and that I should wait and do it with my brakes. So that is what I did. I did brakes, rotors and wheel bearings at about 45k. I think the repack was only about $300 for me to have the tire shop do it for me.

To stay on the safe side, I would get it done regardles...

Bart

LittleBeast
08/27/2007, 02:15 PM
Wow that is a lot of money last time I had it done they charged me $100, and I would much rather spend $100 than get all greasy.....

Ldub
08/27/2007, 03:39 PM
The manual says to repack the bearings at 30,000 but when took the VX in for service they told me to hold off and do it when we did the breaks. Now I have 45,000 on the car and they just told me to hold off until 60,000 -- and that it's going to cost $400 to do the deed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Of course thats what they'll tell you...the longer you let it slide, the more parts will need to be replaced, the farther you get bent over.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

etlsport
08/27/2007, 03:41 PM
the more parts will need to be replaced, the farther you get bent over.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

so THATS what they mean by "go farther"

k4tmc
08/27/2007, 03:52 PM
Glad this subject has come up.

I have to wonder why the wheel bearings need repacking so soon. I have not done any off-roading (unless you count a few gravel drives and an occasional u-turn in an interstate median designated area ;) ) that would provide excessive stress on the bearings and splattered mud.

No other vehicles I have owned (Jeeps, VW's, Toyotas, Hondas) with 150K-plus miles have ever needed wheel bearing work.

Have I been especially lucky, so far? :confused:

Henry

driver3
08/28/2007, 06:29 AM
All wheel drive constantly uses the front wheels... most of the time you were driving in 2wheel drive in your jeep. It's important if you want your truck to last. You should especially do it if you dunk the front axles in water... otherwise I'd say you could wait maybe 30k between changes, IMO. My brakes last about 70K.. so there's no way I could ever wait for a change... but it while you're doing the brakes, you have to repack the wheel bearings (unless you just change pads).. so it depends on how long you have to wait. Maybe it's better to do the brakes now and the wheel bearings. I do the bearings myself for around $40-$50 now, in about 3 hours. (something ALWAYS happens, forgot grease, had to order seals, blah blah) should only take 1.5 hours or less...

Ldub
08/28/2007, 05:00 PM
All wheel drive constantly uses the front wheels... most of the time you were driving in 2wheel drive in your jeep. It's important if you want your truck to last. You should especially do it if you dunk the front axles in water... otherwise I'd say you could wait maybe 30k between changes, IMO. My brakes last about 70K.. so there's no way I could ever wait for a change... but it while you're doing the brakes, you have to repack the wheel bearings (unless you just change pads).. so it depends on how long you have to wait. Maybe it's better to do the brakes now and the wheel bearings. I do the bearings myself for around $40-$50 now, in about 3 hours. (something ALWAYS happens, forgot grease, had to order seals, blah blah) should only take 1.5 hours or less...

Even puddle splashing can allow water & other gunk past the seals.
After last years Gilbert MN meet I decided my bearings should be re-packed before winter...in addition to having about 38,000 on the clock.
Upon dis-assembly, I found the very same reddish gorp that I had been splashing around in the week before (no deep crossings, just puddles) INSIDE my inner hubs.
I was glad I didn't wait until spring. ;)

DK
08/28/2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, gang.

You were a big help.

DK

driver3
08/29/2007, 06:39 AM
Funny thing was... my first wheel bearing change was from the dealer. I did the second one with the planetisuzoo article. You could tell there was water in the hubs on the 2nd change. Upon change #3, the one after I did my own, they were perfect. Every repack I have done has resulted in NO water in my hubs. I use the synthetic grease was well, which may not make a difference there, the seals are the same brands people talk about here, but the most important thing I think is to wire brush the external cap and the hub each time down to the clean metal, and silicon gasket the cap back on. Very important in my book. I've got about 130k on mine now... and it's running like a top! (new engine from isuzu at 103k)...

Also, I was under the impression we needed to repack the wheelbearings each 15K... I don't carry my manual in my pocket so someone has to help out with this one.

Amnesia
09/06/2007, 06:18 PM
I personally wouldn't fret about waiting an extra 30k miles or so... I bought my VX with 31K on it. It now has around 130k and I swear that I'm going to do the front wheel bearings and the timing belt one of these days!

When I do, I'll report how good or bad of an idea that was to wait that long!

WormGod
09/07/2007, 06:46 AM
40K miles and nil a brake job or bearing repack. Runs great though. I tend to hold off for the "Must Be Done Now" situation. Not too concerned either since I do about 95% of my own work and procrastinate about when I will even get around to doing any of it. :p

Dare2Dream
09/08/2007, 10:47 AM
My mechanic quoted me $80 for the bearings repack last year, so $400 sounds steep. You should check around for a better price.

dkmiller68
03/06/2008, 11:38 AM
Do it yourself and save the $...there's a great article link here...search for it...you need new seals and a few other things...you'll save 350...and you will know it's done right.

Could someone supply the link to a 'how to' on bearing repacking? Also, any thots on best tool that forces the grease into the bearings would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Don

JHarris1385
03/06/2008, 01:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LISLE-Handy-Packer-Bearing-Packer-3-1-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35625QQihZ008QQitemZ1 80220951130QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW