PDA

View Full Version : Switching Front Seats

MSHardeman
08/27/2007, 08:05 AM
I think one or two people may have done this already, or had the dealership do it, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard. My seats are in good shape, but I would like to switch them from side to side before my drivers side seat gets too worn. I took the passenger seat out a few weeks ago, and it looks like switching the slide rails would be easy to do. The only problem I see is the passenger side release that allows it to slide forward for access to the rear seat. I know the slide is taken care of by the rails, but I can't figure out how, or where, the cable that runs up into the back of the seat connects. Has anyone done the switch themselves? Advice? Instructions?

Ldub
08/27/2007, 04:07 PM
Maybe just switch em' & access the rear seat from the drivers side? ;)

johnnyapollo
08/27/2007, 05:17 PM
Steering wheel keeps the seat from folding completely foreward - limiting access to the rear.

-- John

WILLY
08/27/2007, 08:44 PM
who needs back seats anyway lol :p i took mine out so i would have a place for the subs.

Raque Thomas
08/28/2007, 05:47 AM
Just bought a VX New Beetle to save gas on my commute - somebody needs to figure out how to use the seat tracks from those in a VX! The seat bottom lifts and the whole seat folds forward - GREATLY increasing the ability to get into the back seat. I also saw this on a 2dr BMW. Getting into the back seat of the VX is an acrobatic endeavor when you're 6'1" and 220#! Actually, it's the getting out that is the worst!

JHarris1385
08/28/2007, 07:41 AM
Seat rail extenders? If you dont have them, get them.

Raque Thomas
08/28/2007, 10:51 AM
Looked into that option - but I don't care for the higher position of the seat, and less travel fore and aft.

VCrossfan
08/28/2007, 11:08 AM
How about leaving the tracks where they are and switching the seats only ( of course remove all to switch) Left seat on right track, Right seat on left track...

etlsport
08/28/2007, 11:38 AM
the seat tracks are the same from what i can tell.. but there is a cable attached to the passenger seat fold lever that releases the sliding mechanism at the same time.. the problem is finding where that cable attaches to the seat... i looked in the seat disassembly instructions of the vx repair manual... it doesnt show where it attaches though

marcosv6
08/28/2007, 03:00 PM
I've swapped mine twice. If I recall correctly, the seat mount rails are NOT the same. The seat has to be swapped to the opposite rail.

The "auto slide" mechanism is in the seat itself so you lose the feature when you swap seats. It will still slide forward and the seat back operates properly, just not "automatically".

rowhard
08/28/2007, 05:18 PM
The seat has to be swapped to the opposite rail.

So bottom line, how involved is swapping the rails?

marcosv6
08/28/2007, 05:48 PM
Not hard, just takes some time. Remove both seats, including tracks. Flip upside down, remove 4 bolts/seat and swap over. I believe the bolts are 1/2" but it takes some movement of the tracks forward and back to be able to remove the bolts. I didn't notice any height difference.

One odd observation: the passenger seat wears much faster than the drivers seat with everyday use. Coincidence ?

Don

etlsport
08/28/2007, 06:01 PM
Not hard, just takes some time. Remove both seats, including tracks. Flip upside down, remove 4 bolts/seat and swap over. I believe the bolts are 1/2" but it takes some movement of the tracks forward and back to be able to remove the bolts. I didn't notice any height difference.

One odd observation: the passenger seat wears much faster than the drivers seat with everyday use. Coincidence ?

Don

maybe the passenger seat is used less.. so the leather hardens a bit and is more prone to cracking? since the drivers seat is used often the leather stays supple and doesnt crack as easily... be sure to condition the leather often to keep it from cracking!

VCrossfan
08/28/2007, 06:24 PM

Don

Don: If your not the original owner maybe they were switched before..food for thought

tom4bren
08/29/2007, 05:46 AM
"Looked into that option - but I don't care for the higher position of the seat, and less travel fore and aft."

Raque,

I put in the Tone's seat extenders and love them. I didn't notice any appreciable height difference even though I know it's there. Maybe I'm just less sensitive than others to it though because I've heard others with that complaint. I think the extenders only put the seat about 1/2 inch higher.

The seat extenders won't affect seat travel fore and aft. The extenders just move the whole mechanism several inches forward so the travel remains the same. The only thing you lose is how far back you can adjust the seat and that hasn't been an issue for us.

rowhard
08/29/2007, 04:50 PM
Not to hi jack, since the question is about the seats and rails. Did I see somewhere here about lowering the seats? Is that possible and if so, how involved?

mrtew
11/01/2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah I'd like to know about lowering the seats too!!!

After 8 years I no longer noticed anymore how ridiculously high the seats are mounted in the VX even though passengers always commented on it but after driving my new Camaro for the summer with its height adjustable seats I now realize what we are missing. The VX feels great if I slouch down in my seat about 2 inches so I don't need any replies from you short guys under 6 foot telling me that yours feels fine :-]

I remember one guy from years ago that lowered his by basically smashing down the floorpan under the seat rails with a hammer and I guess that would probably be the only way to do it but I thought I'd ask in case I missed something else. Is there any other way to lower the seats or does anyone else remember that posting?

JoFotoz
11/01/2009, 10:21 AM
Here ya go rowhard & mrtew...

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4654&highlight=seat+lower

jo

VX crazy
11/01/2009, 04:13 PM
Thats why I like the vehicross......cuz I am short waisted and otherwise would need a phone book or something....

RodL
07/27/2014, 10:35 AM
Revisiting. Thought about doing this soon and wonder is there have been any problems for those who did/or didn't do it in 2009. If I had lifting help I would have done it today but couldn't find anyone.

Rod

Marlin
07/27/2014, 02:12 PM
I swapped my seats a few years ago, as for the uneven wear, I think it is because the driver has the steering wheel to pull himself into the truck, so less sliding across the seat. Just a thought. Swapping them was easy, and while they are out, take a sledge hammer and bang that rear lip flush with the seat so you can actually reach under the seat from the rear. I keep ice scraper, first aid kit etc under there:) Also allows you to easily disconnect the TOD computer, and connect it back if you are going to drive on snowy roads and want TOD back on.

Shawn138
07/27/2014, 06:20 PM
What does disconnecting the TOD do? and can you just connect and unconnect it? The reason I ask is last month I flatted and had to use the spare. Holy! I thought I was going to explode my drive train!

Marlin
07/27/2014, 06:46 PM
It turns off the tod computer so in theory makes it real 2wd, although the prop shafts still spins but not really much loading. If you have manual hubs tod display just flashes up and down all the time. Not anymore, mine is just dark.

Mile High VX
07/27/2014, 06:46 PM
What does disconnecting the TOD do? and can you just connect and unconnect it? The reason I ask is last month I flatted and had to use the spare. Holy! I thought I was going to explode my drive train!

Make sure you always have regular tires on the back and the spare on the front. Extra work if your flat is on the back to move a front tire to the back and then put the spare on the front, but it does make a difference.

Shawn138
07/28/2014, 10:36 PM
I wish I knew about the tire switching thing when I flatted. It was my rear. I would has done extra work just to not put the truck through that. Also I don't have manual hubs.

RodL
07/29/2014, 03:16 AM
Is not having the compact spare on the back due to the limited slip differential?

tom4bren
07/29/2014, 05:07 AM
Here ya go rowhard & mrtew...

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4654&highlight=seat+lower

jo

I've attached the pdf of Nazrat's write-up as well ... just to make life simpler for Y'all ... Yerrr welcome! :)

Is not having the compact spare on the back due to the limited slip differential?

That & the TOD. Both systems don't like the donut on the rear.