PDA

View Full Version : Getting things fixed and selling...(sigh)

wendysmiling
08/26/2007, 08:04 AM
I just can't afford the gas. Two vehicles that each get around 15 mpg is killing me. The VX is for sale in the garage forum. (sniffles). :(

Is e-bay a good way to sell a vehicle? It's been a really good truck, hubby thinks it'll be easier to trade it in on something for the same price at a dealership. I have no $$ for another car payment.

I think we should try to sell it on ebay or the AutoTrader and go buy something. We can't be without a car for even a day (unless it's Saturday) as we work different schedules.

I need something DEPENDABLE. Does it really matter if it's high mileage import or a lower mileage domestic? Or does it just depend on the car? I'd die if I bought something that started nickle and diming me.

I'll have whatever the VX goes for, less registering the new car so maybe $7500 - $8000 (I hope)

I was thinking about: (ugh no more cool truck) :(
Toyota Corolla - test drove one. Drove nice
Ford Escape - friend said she gets about 23mpg <shrug>?
Saturn ion - don't know much about Saturns - not test driven yet
Ford Focus - not test driven yet
KIA - Not test driven and no nothing about them.
Hyundai - Not test driven heard they were pretty good and cheaper than a Honda or Toyota (which by the way are great but for my price range would be over 100k miles)

Any thoughts here? You all have been just great.
I did test drive a Dodge neon and didn't like the way it drove. Too bad cause it was cool looking with a spoiler, sun roof, and cool blue accents on the dash.

johnnyapollo
08/26/2007, 08:32 AM
Take a look at the Scion - have a neighbor that has one and she loves it (boxey, can-o-spam thing that it is). For mileage look at any of the Honda Civics - they all get over 40 mpg. I rented a Mazda 3 from the airport once and was really surprised by it - great gas mileage and it actually had more room inside than it looks outside.

-- John

wendysmiling
08/26/2007, 09:28 AM
Take a look at the Scion - have a neighbor that has one and she loves it (boxey, can-o-spam thing that it is). For mileage look at any of the Honda Civics - they all get over 40 mpg. I rented a Mazda 3 from the airport once and was really surprised by it - great gas mileage and it actually had more room inside than it looks outside.

-- John

I like the Mazda 3s. They might be out of my price range, but they look nice. I don't think I could be my hubby to drive a Scion. <giggle>.

Joe_Black
08/26/2007, 10:24 AM
I tried out a Toyota Yaris LB recently and it was the funnest test-drive I've ever had in my life. No kidding. I would be daily-driving it today but it didn't really ring my wife's bell and she reminded me that we can't make gasoline, so we bought a new VW Jetta TDI instead. If you can swing the extra $$$ go for a VW diesel. They're peppy (intercooled turbo diesel), comfortable and in a pinch you can make the fuel yourself. Not to mention up to 50MPG. ;)

Mr.Badguy
08/26/2007, 02:59 PM
Just wanted to add some thoughts.

My sister just recently bought a hyundai tucson. she loves driving it and seems to be a good SUV with good gas mileage.

A coworker went and bought a ford escape after owning subarues. the subarues costed him more to maintain, but he said he wouldn't buy an Escape again.

My personal picks?? I would go with Toyota, the corolla or camry if you want a car, or the RAV 4 or Highlander if you want to stay with an SUV, both are getting decent gas mileage

other considerations?? Honda...and i can't believe i'm going to say it, Daimler Chrysler vehicles. its the second year for most of their new cars and trucks, and they have the new "lifetime powertrain warranty", on all their vehicles.

I have to say that i haven't had too many issues with my VX but once i stop owing on it, i'm getting something else. So i guess i kinda gave you the companies that i'm looking into. Hope this helps.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/26/2007, 06:25 PM
Take a look at the Scion - have a neighbor that has one and she loves it (boxey, can-o-spam thing that it is).
-- John

If a car isn't out of the question...how about the Scion TC coupe. A gal bartender I know bought one early this summer and she loves it! Scion is an offshoot of Toyota. You can buy it mild....and later make it wild! The dealer sells them in different trims too. She bought hers with ground effects and rear spoiler @ dealer. Has a nice sunroof too. Auto or Stick.

Mild:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/drivers.under.25/05.scion.tc.500.jpg

Wild (you know its gotta be cool if they make a "toy" of it!):
http://www.jungle-life.com/media/1/20060428-scion_tc_side.jpg

Spike
08/26/2007, 06:56 PM
Stay away from the Saturn Ion - friend has one and has had nothing but problems with it.. everything just short of lemon laws. It also got some of the worst reliability ratings in consumer reports. I think they killed it off and replaced it with the slightly larger Aura ... supposedly designed by GM's Opel division in europe.

I happen to think the Scion xB box is the most hideous looking thing on the planet.. even a step below the Honda Element. I don't even see how it can be safe.. seemed made of 'tin' when I saw it at the car show few yrs ago.

The Scion tC coupe is another story completely. It is what Toyota would be selling as a Celica if they ever decided to bring the name back.
Solid build and performs great (was a fun test drive). Quite cusomizable too.. both at the dealer or aftermarket.

etlsport
08/26/2007, 07:14 PM
i havent driven one personally... but ive heard really good things about nissan sentras

WILLY
08/26/2007, 07:36 PM
Well what ever u decide to buy after u (86) the vx will cost u $$$$$ no differently than the vx or any other vehicle weather it's from gas guzzling or mechanical failure,they all cost a crap load of $$$$$ and in the end u are out thousand's for very little service. :p

Ascinder
08/26/2007, 08:10 PM
Take a look at the Scion

I'll add in another vote for the scion. I had my doubts at first(it's no VX!!), but the girlfriend liked it and we got one. Just got T-boned and rolled over in it yesterday. The side curtain airbags are a good idea. The person that hit us ran the light at the bottom of a freeway offramp. We were both totally unharmed. Not even any scrapes, bumps or bruises. They are certainly tough little cars.

djkymar
08/26/2007, 08:43 PM
just my cent about the saturn ion`s they pretty fine looking car but they made of plastic all over. I mean all door and fenders plastic only the hood and trunk is a metal so i dont know how you can feel save in those things. I work at the dealership adn i drive those things every day. Saturn aura is much better i think,and the old style 07 saturn VUE is not bad and they good on gas. Ford fusion is not bad car also, good on gas and pretty good handling BUT nohing can beat honda`s gas MPG they are best on that i think.
Just my 2 cents

IndianaVX
08/26/2007, 08:59 PM
well, just to throw this in the mix, i have no suggestions on what to buy, but i can tell you this. i have tried to sell two autos on ebay, and had nothing but trouble. ebay, with their policies and such give no protection or support for the seller, you.
with the rampant "deadbeat bidders", having to give said deadbeats time to complete the sell, when they have no intention to, you cant relist for so many days after a deadbeat wins the auction, and on and on. for me, it was a waste of time, and money for the listing, and the people that really were interested, found other autos while i was messing with the deadbeats. ebay would not refund my listing fees.
trading it in isnt going to fair you much better......you will more than likely be taken by a dealer trying to sell you a car. would probably give you less than what you want, then sell it for double,or more, than what they gave you.... i think i would try old fashoned advertising in paper, (we have a paper called the trader, and one called auto rv, both are car specific selling paper magazines) listing on autotrader, and here on vx.info. so thats about all i got, good luck with the sale, and hope you find what your looking for............
take care

i have also heard good things about the scions, but all second hand.........

cyronman
08/26/2007, 10:20 PM
.... i think i would try old fashoned advertising in paper, (we have a paper called the trader, and one called auto rv, both are car specific selling paper magazines) listing on autotrader, and here on vx.info. so thats about all i got,

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/

JAFO
08/26/2007, 11:19 PM
...If you can swing the extra $$$ go for a VW diesel. They're peppy (intercooled turbo diesel), comfortable and in a pinch you can make the fuel yourself. Not to mention up to 50MPG. ;)

For your price range (approx $8000) you might be looking at high mileage car(~200K). You may want to keep in mind that turbo repair/replacement is not cheap possible $1000 to $2000 est. to fix. Just a thought.

Also here is a fuel economy comparison website:
www.fueleconomy.gov

JAFO
08/27/2007, 12:25 AM
Here is a little fuel cost comparison table that I whipped up for a person who drives the average 12,000 miles per year.

If you change from 15 mpg to 45 mpg your will save (2,400 - 800) = $1,600/year or $133/month.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Fuel_Cost_Comparison.jpg

I included up to 120 MPG, as motorcycles commonly get 60 to 100 mpg and there are some scooters in the 100 to 120 mpg range.

etlsport
08/27/2007, 09:16 AM
will you be doing highway driving? unless you are on the highway very few cars get very good real life gas mileage.. my moms got an accord that gets like 30+ on the highway and is advertised for 25+ in the city but in reality it only gets 17-18 in the city, nothing wrong with it still less than 10k miles on it, just how city driving goes.. the gf has a honda del sol that gets 36-40 mpg on the highway.. still only gets 23-25 in the city...

Navigator
08/27/2007, 09:56 AM
A motorcyle, scooter, moped, or bicycle depending on what suits you will save you $$$ in gas & insurance over a car for those short trips and commutes. Save the VX for special occasions, don't dump it. My 2 cents.

Chopper
08/27/2007, 03:09 PM
Well what ever u decide to buy after u (86) the vx will cost u $$$$$ no differently than the vx or any other vehicle weather it's from gas guzzling or mechanical failure,they all cost a crap load of $$$$$ and in the end u are out thousand's for very little service. :p
Wow! Like a bitter divorce...horses ain't cheap either you know. :eek:

Chopper
08/27/2007, 03:16 PM
Mazdaspeed 3 :freek: Screw the mpg...

wendysmiling
08/27/2007, 03:28 PM
Gimme some money. I'd love a bike!

A motorcyle, scooter, moped, or bicycle depending on what suits you will save you $$$ in gas & insurance over a car for those short trips and commutes. Save the VX for special occasions, don't dump it. My 2 cents.

LittleBeast
08/27/2007, 03:47 PM
Let's say you average a huge $1,500 a year in savings for gas by going up to between 25-30mpg, and you sell the VX for $12,000, then buy a $19,000 car that is good on gas. To make up for your $7,000 loss in selling the VX and buying a different car it will be a full 4 and a half years of saving on gas before you even break even from your initial loss and by that time the new better gas mileage car is out of warranty and stuff might (aka will) start happening to cut into your "savings" even more. And what is even worse I promise by the time you break even you will be tired of driving a common car that is not unique in any way and blends in way too well at the local grocery store. Just my 2 cents. In my opinon you cannot put a price on uniqueness, enjoyment, or the random questions about what exactly you are driving. I know I am already telling you what you already know, but I think it is worth another thought.

Ldub
08/27/2007, 07:17 PM
If you fix it & sell, THEN who ya gonna talk to??? You would end up missing us too much & have to buy another. :p

JAFO
08/29/2007, 10:42 AM
True big savings on Insurance. I never realized how cheap motorcycle insurance is. I checked on Progressive and for full coverage on a new Kawasaki Ninja 10R ($10,000 bike) was $200/year (motorcycle terms are annual not six months). I pay almost that in one month for auto insurance.

Everyone generally says well with a motorcycle the risk of bodily injury should be higher. But this is not consistant with the price, otherwise motorcycle insurance would be more than auto. So the conclusion that I came to is that it has to do with the amount of damage the insured is capable of doing with the vehicle. The damage that a motorcycle can do pales in comparison with the damage that a car can do.

circmand
08/29/2007, 10:59 AM
(Everyone generally says well with a motorcycle the risk of bodily injury should be higher.)

It does not matter how bad the body injury is if the driver is dead. Ask the airlines dead bodies cost less than hurt bodies.

wendysmiling
08/29/2007, 06:02 PM
My VX insurance is $1100 a year with no tickets or accidents and I've shopped around plenty. Why do they have to stick it to us so bad? (ugh)

True big savings on Insurance. I never realized how cheap motorcycle insurance is. I checked on Progressive and for full coverage on a new Kawasaki Ninja 10R ($10,000 bike) was $200/year (motorcycle terms are annual not six months). I pay almost that in one month for auto insurance.

Everyone generally says well with a motorcycle the risk of bodily injury should be higher. But this is not consistant with the price, otherwise motorcycle insurance would be more than auto. So the conclusion that I came to is that it has to do with the amount of damage the insured is capable of doing with the vehicle. The damage that a motorcycle can do pales in comparison with the damage that a car can do.