PDA

View Full Version : 1800 Miles in 4 days...Living in the VX

dietz99vcross
08/22/2007, 06:07 PM
I had some extra time off from work, so rather than spend the time working on the house, it seemed logical to leave civilization, drive into the northwoods and become one with the VX, as well as dust off my photo equipment. I left home on Wednesday afternoon and returned Sunday night. I drove 1800 miles total and also spent 3 nights sleeping in the VX. From Kalamazoo across the Mackinac Bridge, west across the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and into the Northern Coast of Wisconsin and back.

Several observations:

1. I really need to get the drivers side window fixed because paying the toll to cross The Mackinac Bridge was a challenge.
2. I use the cruise alot and just noticed that I rest my left knee against the door while driving. This has caused the laminate on the carbon fiber around the door latch to start to peel.
3. While the repainted lower trim held up well at home driving around town, 50 miles of dirt roads behind other 4x4's and bikes took its toll. In particular 1 spot about the size of a quarter popped right off (Can you say rock).
4. I got the best mileage ever on the long drive home (417 miles on 1 tank - 22 MPG).
5. I have a new rattle from underneath that will need to be tracked down this weekend.
6. Took the seat out just before leaving (I love this site.)
7. Need to do this again (I love this ride.)

Mike

Chopper
08/22/2007, 06:14 PM
I'm green...what fun.

ZEUS
08/22/2007, 07:17 PM
"I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere..."

Welcome back home! I have noticed every now and then the bolts in my tranny mount come loose. There is a quick rattle check for you... :)

etlsport
08/23/2007, 03:43 AM
thats awesome! i cant wait til me and the lady friend are able to take some time and tour the east coast (but probably will camp instead of sleeping in the vx)

check the head shields on the exhaust just below the door hinges (on both sides) for your rattles, both of mine rattled... couple of pipe clamps took care of it pdq

VehiGAZ
08/23/2007, 07:45 AM
Did you run into Eino and Toivo (http://www.usaring.com/yooper/yooper.htm) hunting up dere on da U-P?