PDA

View Full Version : Value of HID's to those who have no nightvision?

Maugan_VX
08/22/2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Everyone,

I always had found it hard to justify the cost of the available HID kits, however, I'm now being faced with surgery on my eyeballs that will rob me of a lot of my night vision. I've already had two treatments and seeing at night is really becoming difficult.

Would HID's be a good investment in the interests of seeing better? I've driven a vehicle with HID's before, but it was before my treatments began and it wasn't a VX so I can't really compare them.

Appreciate any insight offerred.

Thanks

Cyrk
08/22/2007, 10:42 AM
Personally I feel it made a huge improvement signs and objects light up much brighter.

mdwyer
08/22/2007, 04:44 PM
Do you mind if I ask about the surgery? I recently had lenses (made of Pig and Plastic!) implanted. They work great, and if anything night driving is more difficult, because things are brighter.

I imagine you should probably stay away from the blue-colored HID lights if you go that direction, though. Blue isn't easy to see even BEFORE surgery.

johnnyapollo
08/22/2007, 06:06 PM
Keep it at 5000K and no higher (higher numbers = bluer tint).

-- John

Joe Isuzu
08/22/2007, 06:06 PM
There is a noticeable difference when you drive a vehicle with HID's and then one without. It's amazing when you get back in a car without HID's as you've never really appreciated how yellow your headlight beams actually are until you drive a vehicle with HID's as the light beam now appears white. You should be able to see things a little further away and you should definitely be able to see things more clearly. As far as kits go, I've heard pros and cons on them. The con argument is if you put an HID kit in a vehicle that did not come with HID's, the reflectors are not set up properly for the different light source. I imagine this means you will be more glaring to other people on the road. I've only had experience with one kit and it wasn't a pleasant one. One light would work great but the other side would overheat or short out or something and fizzle out after a few moments. I got it from a company in Canada too and had to deal with the hassle of returning them to customs. Other people's experiences may have been better, but I'm not willing to bite again. Good luck with the surgery!

Maugan_VX
08/22/2007, 06:57 PM
Do you mind if I ask about the surgery? I recently had lenses (made of Pig and Plastic!) implanted. They work great, and if anything night driving is more difficult, because things are brighter.

Sure. I'm having a procedure called PRP done in both my eyes. I've been a Type I diabetic since I was 4 years old, and my transgressions as a youth have caught up to me. I have tons of abnormal blood vessels growing on my retina. They leak and hemmorhage often and also grow into the vitreous fluid of the eye ball itself. This tugs on the already saturate retina, causing it to eventually break and detach. The lasers go and burn scar tissue onto the retina itself to prevent the formation of new abnormal blood vessels and to shrink the ones that already exist. Unfortunately, the side effect is that I have significantly reduced night vision and peripheral vision. The benefit is that I don't go blind altogether. (Which the doctors say I have a 20% chance of happening anyways)

So looking at headlights that can make me see better is definitely high on the list of priorities.

Joe Isuzu, I'm thinking about buying the kit mentioned on Tone Monday's site. Is this the one that you've had (bad) experiences with?

Thanks Again

tom4bren
08/24/2007, 06:55 AM
I've never driven with HIDs before so can't input on the visibility aspect. I was told that they do draw significantly more current than the stock lights so make sure your electrical system can handle the added load or that they provide a relay set up that doesn't put the load on your existing wiring harness.

This won't help with driving but may help otherwise. Image Intensifiers are commercially available & although still pricey the quality is pretty good. One source I found by googling "pocket scope": http://www.opticsplanet.net/us-night-vision.html. There should also be mariner versions available for boating.

Your optometrist/optomologist (sp?) may be able to find out more info for you. Years ago, I helped my optometrist obtain a couple for some of his patients with retinitis pigmentosa (sp?) which causes severe night blindness. At that time, ITT had a program to sell them at cost to patients with a prescription. They used to (and may still) make them for the Army.

Sorry to take this thread so far off course but I spent 20 years on Night Vision stuff for the Army. PM me if you want more info or if I can be of any other assistance (maybe even try one before you put down the $$$).

Joe Isuzu
08/24/2007, 08:50 AM
Maugan VX,
no, the HID kit I referenced was for my A4 and came from Canada, Lltek I believe, there's always the chance it was operator error as well but my mechanic dealt with two ballast changes through the company with no improvement, I had more experience with my mechanic than I did with Lltek so I cut my losses and returned the product in exchange for store credit
From what I understand, people have been generally pleased with Tone's products and he's a good supporter of the site if that helps any
Good luck!

johnnyapollo
08/24/2007, 09:36 AM
I have Tone's kit and it has served me well with no issues for many years.

-- John

Ascinder
08/24/2007, 10:23 AM
Keep it at 5000K and no higher (higher numbers = bluer tint).

I run 6500K and they are bright white with no blue tint at all. The research I did before I got them indicated that 6500K is the closest color temperature to actual bright sunlight. At night it lights up signs from quite a distance. Also the set of HIDs I got have shields around the undersides to make it so glare isn't reflected into oncoming drivers' eyes.

WyrreJ
08/24/2007, 05:50 PM
You'll probably get some expert opinions if you ask over on candlepowerforums.com - just be sure not to post in the headlamps forum, that's literally for lights that you wear on your head.

Maugan_VX
08/31/2007, 04:52 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input. I don't think I'm at the point where I need night vision goggles but its always nice to know that there's more options.

I've had another procedure since I posted last and was driving last night pretty well. Definitely can notice a loss of peripheral vision but I'm not losing sight of the road or anything.

WormGod
08/31/2007, 06:16 AM
Personally I feel it made a huge improvement signs and objects light up much brighter.

Including the eyeballs of oncoming drivers. :p

I actually never have an issue with them if aimed according. Factory spec settings are NOT going to work for all cars that go with aftermarket HIDs and unfortunately, most clowns dont know and therefore, do not re-aim. It is especially noticeable when some !@#$ behind you has them. You are safe in the VX since you cant see their headlights without our poor view anyways, haha. In my Rex though, I will actually pull over and let these morons go by so I dont have to squint and reposition my head just to see.

Just a perspective from someone who is not the one behind the HIDs, but the one receiving.... and I have better than 20/20 vision, if that makes sense at all (so my opti-doc says).

Just re-aim your lights some after you get HIDs and you should be good to go. :)

VCAMILO
08/31/2007, 06:18 AM
I like them alot. I have gotten some compliments also... but unfortulately one of them when out 4 months ago and the other bulb went out 2 days ago. So, if I have to spend $170 to replace the bulbs everytime one of them go out its not worth it.