PDA

View Full Version : tom4bren back on the road

tom4bren
08/20/2007, 09:27 AM
Sorry it took so long to provide an update but I was in Austin, TX all last week. OK, the Proton is back on the road with rebuilt CVs (still have to drop it off for an alignment this week though). Let's see if I can make this as short and sweet as possible.

My inner boots split in half earlier this year (as my luck would have it, I was 250 miles from home so the CVs were toast by the time I could do anything about it). I ordered Meca-Techs and installed them without rebuilding (& overpacked them with grease) to see if I could nurse them a little longer. The noise actually got worse - but I did get a nice coating of grease on everything for weatherproofing my undercarriage (that part's a joke).

After 2 failed attempts at purchasing rebuilts on line and a fruitless trip to AutoZone, I purchased a set from a junk yard in Oklahoma for $300.00

Now I just needed them installed. One place would do it but would charge me at LEAST $1600. The front end place that I was really counting on decided after some research that they wouldn't touch the job (I'll still take it to them for the alignment though). They directed me to an axle place in town. He didn't even want to attempt it either but finally took pity on me and would make the attempt as long as he didn't have to remove the housings (actually the outer race for the CVs) from the vehicle.

He ended up scavaging parts from the axles I provided, ground on the housings while still installed on the vehicle for 2+ hours then reassembled the whole thing with oversized balls.

No more CV joint noise. Runs great.

Total damage:
1 1/2 sets of mecatechs: $150
used axles : $300
garage bill : $670

Do the math - it's a Grand.

I still have to pay:

Alignment: $ 75
rebuild the used axles: $300
set of mechatechs: $100

tom4bren
08/20/2007, 09:42 AM
1. CVs should last the life of the vehicle as long as they never run dry. Keep a close eye on your boots. I suggest you kneel in front of your VX everytime that you gas up and look underneith. If properly done, everyone will think you are praying to keep it running a little longer and will be so impressed they will start doing the same.

2. The longer you wait, the more expensive it will be. When they start making noise, they are gone and require a rebuild but that's not too bad as long as you can find someplace that will do it. Should only cost about $150 - $300 depending on how many CVs need work (remember there are 4).

3. If you do procrastinate & keep driving it, you run the danger of wearing the housing. That's when you start getting into $$$ (assuming you can find someone to do the work).

4. Be prepared to do some SERIOUS research. You'll find places that indicate they carry the parts - until you try to order them.

5. Yes, it is worth it. When you finally get behind the wheel again, it's worth all you've been through.

Triathlete
08/20/2007, 09:52 AM
reassembled the whole thing with oversized balls.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out and had a happy ending. And now your VX has even bigger balls! :thumbup: :bwgy: ;Dy;

tom4bren
08/20/2007, 10:39 AM
Gotta love a VX with bigger balls.

The guy doing the rebuild kept mentioning having bigger balls ... or ... having to give me bigger balls. It was all I could do to keep from laughing but he was an older gentleman so I held my composure.

I should have known it would be Triathlete that would finally turn my clean thread dirty - it was just a matter of time.

Ldub
08/23/2007, 04:54 AM
As always, I love a story with a happy ending...

And BIGGER BALLS. :p

CrnCnn
08/23/2007, 05:12 AM
So no more noise at 65 mph range?

tom4bren
08/24/2007, 06:34 AM
Son, mine was so bad that it clicked any time you let off the gas at anything over idle speeds.

Today was the first time I took it on the interstate - it was smooth as silk.

I did get the front end alignment done - it only cost $48. They said the camber was WAAAAYYY off.

Now maybe I'll have time to fix the passenger window - & hook up trailer lights - & fix rear seat belts - & try installing a blower fan in the engine bay as a test for ETL - & change the oil - &&&

Naw, I'll just go SeaDoo'n instead.