PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Squeak in Rear Quarter-panel Area

k4tmc
08/17/2007, 03:22 PM
For the last 6 months I have had this low volume squeak coming from the passenger side rear panel area. It was only noticeable during low road speeds and when the radio volume was not too loud. Efforts to locate the source from the interior of the VX were unsuccessful. So, I had just resolved that it was a VX quirk that I was going to have to live with.

In the intermin, I had developed a slow leak in the passenger-side rear tire. One of tomorrow’s errands was to get the tire fixed. So, this evening I pulled the VX into the garage and removed the leaking tire/rim. I took this opportunity to inspect the brake pads and do a visual inspection of the underside of the vehicle to see if there was anything amiss.

It seems that there is a lightweight plastic splash guard that hangs inside the wheel-well by some of those plastic ‘push plugs’. When I reached to see have firmly it was being held, there was my ‘squeak’. It appears to be rubbing against some areas behind the splash guard.

Does anyone know how to fix this, other than removing the splashguard permanently? All of the push plugs are in place and fully engaged, but there is enough play in the mounting to allow the splash guard to move around and cause the squeak.

Henry

VehiGAZ
08/17/2007, 03:56 PM
Lube it up. Maybe some spray-can lithium grease will do the trick (it goes on thick, so it won't run like WD-40).

k4tmc
08/27/2007, 04:04 PM
Update...

I did not have any spray lithium, but did have some lithium grease for door hinge squeaks. Smeared a couple of blobs on the rear of the plastic sheet - problem solved. :)

Note that those 'push plugs' are not what they appear to be. Pulling on one caused it to snap into. :mad: So, I do not recommend trying to remove the sheet if you plan to replace it.

Henry