PDA

View Full Version : What I did on my Summer Vacation

Techy-D
08/13/2007, 01:40 PM
I did something cool this past week and thought I'd share.

It was a camp for kids that were/have been in the foster care system. There were lots of rules, background checks, ... This is a "Faith Based" organization called Royal Family Kids Camp, and they are really carefull that these kids don't endup in more bad situations. The kids ages were from around 6 to 11. It was at an "undisclosed location" in the mountains. where There was a lake, horses, cabins, ... all kinds of fun stuff. I do video projects so they had me be the "video guy". I produced a -/+10minute video everyday, of the previous day, and did all kinds of funny things like making people fly up out of the water or ride horses backwards and put it all to fun music. The kids loved it! It was good to remind them that they had fun.

The kids got new shoes, hand made quilts, Cool Shirts, and other stuff to call their own. It was a long hard tiring week, but it was neat to have so many "little friends", even if some of them did get "bad" again when it was about time to go back home. We told them that we loved'em and hoped that we would be able to see them again someday. I hear that many of them will have their stuff taken away from them by drunk/angry parents or jealous siblings, and I know that we didn't really "fix" anything, but It was sure nice to let them have a week of being a normal kid and not have to worry about things that many of them do in their "normal" day to day lives.

VCrossfan
08/13/2007, 03:20 PM
Hats off Techy..... :clap: :clap: :jump: :clap: :clap:

IndianaVX
08/13/2007, 04:23 PM
VERY COOL TECHY,
it is great to be involved in something like that. very admerable,
God bless you for it.

david

CrnCnn
08/13/2007, 05:04 PM
Kudos.

There is a trip this month here for disabled kids, but you need a serious off road beast to take them to their camp site. Maybe the next one I can get us Reno VXers involved and help out.

tomdietrying
08/13/2007, 05:32 PM
Techy-D,
Great job and a great vacation! Two thumbs ups :clap:
Peace.
Tom

pbkid
08/13/2007, 07:50 PM
wow thats amazing. what a great thing to do.

Ldub
08/14/2007, 03:19 AM
Well Done TD...
Kudos to you & all the rest who are willing to give of themselves for those less fortunate. :cool:

ISCE
08/14/2007, 07:02 AM
That sounds perfect. I used to volunteer when I lived back in Colorado and before I was married and with a family. Now, it seems the summers just go so quick and work keeps me too busy.

My daughter leaves to camp for her 2nd year on Thursday. She loved the camp last year and it made a great impact on her. The volunteers and staff who make this happen and impact the kids are awesome! Well done!

Jay

Techy-D
08/16/2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the positives!

I was just one of a whole bunch, and these and other camps like it go on all over the world.

I got a bunch of satisfaction :) and a nasty cold :(
(The satisfaction will stay and the cold should go away)