PDA

View Full Version : New here w/ a 1999 Iron Man Edition

wendysmiling
08/09/2007, 11:43 AM
Hi all,
I've been bacically happy with the vehicle. I bought it 4 years ago w/ 20K miles and w/in 6 months the 6-disc CD changer died (still dead). I have an exhaust leak I have to fix (sounds awful) and a fuel injector problem. It won't start unless I pump the gas. It has 75K now and I'm wondering if I shuld just sell it or get it fixed. The dealership said the routine 75K maintenance would be over $700. :confused:

nfpgasmask
08/09/2007, 11:50 AM
If I were you, I would look at it this way:

1) Loose the CD changer and put a DIN pocket there (cheap), and replace the tape deck with a decent head unit. Its pretty easy to do and you don't have to spend a fortune on a head unit.

2) Get the stuff that you need to get fixed done. $700 is still way cheaper than a new vehicle. Heck, even if it was $2000 to get it maintenanced and fixed, you are still spending less than you would if you had to buy a new vehicle.

3) Its a VX. There is nothing for sale right now that will be even nearly as cool ;)

Bart

Hi all,
I've been bacically happy with the vehicle. I bought it 4 years ago w/ 20K miles and w/in 6 months the 6-disc CD changer died (still dead). I have an exhaust leak I have to fix (sounds awful) and a fuel injector problem. It won't start unless I pump the gas. It has 75K now and I'm wondering if I shuld just sell it or get it fixed. The dealership said the routine 75K maintenance would be over $700. :confused:

etlsport
08/09/2007, 11:50 AM
you sure that its a fuel injector problem? many owners on this board have had issues with their fuel filters and fuel pressure regulator clogging and causing hard starts and poor gas mileage

the exhaust leak.. any more info on it? i saw a vx the other day w/ an exhaust leak... turned out to be a gasket of some kind in the exhaust system (didnt see the problem.. just what he told me) but it was only an $18 per side part

hope you decide to keep the vx.. i wouldnt trade mine for the world!! (or anything less than 20k)

nfpgasmask
08/09/2007, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah, one other thing. If you spend a little time on this forum and get to know some local VXers from your area, I would bet some of them might be willing to help you out with yours. I'm not sure how complicated the problems your VX has are, but its worth a try.

Bart

Ldub
08/09/2007, 12:51 PM
First place I'd look for the exhaust leak that sounds awful would be the nut that holds the tube to the EGR.

Welcome aboard.

JHarris1385
08/09/2007, 06:31 PM
I had to pump the gas to get mine to start. I solved this on my own by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Now mine starts everytime with no effort at all and even gets better MPG. Trust me replace that one part and you will be WAY more satisfied with your VX.

Then tighten the nut on your EGR tube and you will be fine.

johnnyapollo
08/10/2007, 12:53 AM
75K maintenance includes a new timing belt - probably why they want so much for it and something that has to be done with just about any vehicle these days. Just something else to consider.

-- John

wendysmiling
08/11/2007, 11:33 AM
Was it hard to replace the fuel pressure regulator yourself? My hubby is mechanically inclined. Maybe he could do it with a manual. What is a EGR tube? :confused:

I had to pump the gas to get mine to start. I solved this on my own by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Now mine starts everytime with no effort at all and even gets better MPG. Trust me replace that one part and you will be WAY more satisfied with your VX.

wendysmiling
08/12/2007, 01:16 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was just what the fuel problem was!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxox
:)

Now I just got to get the exhaust leak fixed.
:)

WILLY
08/12/2007, 03:14 PM
That exaust leak could very well be that bolt under the egr valve,makes kind of a chatter/diesel engine sound,mine was making those 2 noises and i found my bolt was just hanging on the line so i fingered it in place and snugged it with a wrench and no more problem yeah for me huh. :p
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg