PDA

View Full Version : Switches

nfpgasmask
08/09/2007, 11:32 AM
OK, so I am going to move my little red security system light to my center console, which will free up two switch spots side by side on my dash.

I want to put in two toggle switches for some roof rack lights. Will any of the Isuzu switches work? There are some on eBay that I am looking at (defroster, cruise control toggle). So is the wiring important or do I just need a toggle switch?

Thanks - Bart

etlsport
08/09/2007, 11:35 AM
if you use a relay any switch should do just fine... if you use a factory isuzu switch be careful, i had a fog light switch a month or two ago pulled from an older isuzu or honda passport (i forget which) but it didnt fit right at all.. make sure the back of the switch has plastic tabs like ours.. the one that didnt fit had a metal tab on one side

nfpgasmask
08/09/2007, 11:44 AM
Cool, thanks. Do we know which switches from what vehicles will definitely work? Also, I might just opt for some from Merlin. Does any know what kind I should ask about?

I basically just want toggle switches that have the little amber light so I know it is on or off. I don't care what the text is on the switch because I am just going to sand it off and put a new label on it.

Thanks,

Bart

MSHardeman
08/09/2007, 02:59 PM
Bart,

I recently finished replacing my round running lights with some angel eye fog lights, and installed the factory Isuzu switch. The switch was a little loose, but with a little shimmin' it fits just fine. The text on the switch lights up, and there is an indicator light to let you know when the lights are on. I don't know if you could sand the text off as it does light up from behind so the text is cut out of the black plastic of the switch. I went to a u-pull-it yard with the switch in hand and yanked a wiring harness out of a Passport. The harness was missing a wire, but it was easy enough to rig one in and it fits the switch like a glove.

Let me know if you want some pictures, and I can dive into my dash this weekend.

Mark

nfpgasmask
08/10/2007, 06:24 AM
Cool Mark,

So do you think something like this would work?

eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-ISUZU-RODEO-HONDA-PASSPORT-CRUISE-ON-OFF-SWITCH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50459QQihZ008QQi temZ180146143953QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Thanks - Bart

Bart,

I recently finished replacing my round running lights with some angel eye fog lights, and installed the factory Isuzu switch. The switch was a little loose, but with a little shimmin' it fits just fine. The text on the switch lights up, and there is an indicator light to let you know when the lights are on. I don't know if you could sand the text off as it does light up from behind so the text is cut out of the black plastic of the switch. I went to a u-pull-it yard with the switch in hand and yanked a wiring harness out of a Passport. The harness was missing a wire, but it was easy enough to rig one in and it fits the switch like a glove.

Let me know if you want some pictures, and I can dive into my dash this weekend.

Mark

MSHardeman
08/10/2007, 09:52 AM
Bart,

I would think that if you are going to run lights you would need to get the fog light switch. I'm not that electrically savy, but just looking at the back of all of the switches they are all very different. The plugs are all different shapes and sizes, and they have different numbers of wires running out of the back of them. I guess most switches are just on/off affairs so I suppose that you could rig a cruise control switch to work the lights.

Like I said before, though, the wording (in this case "Cruise Control") looks like it is silk screened onto the face of the switch and it doesn't look like you could sand it out and put something else in it's place. I have my VX and my camera with me at work today, so I can snap a couple of picture of the face of the switch if you would like, but you would have to wait until this weekend before I can pull the dash to get to the back of the switch (I may be able to jimmy it out from the front if you really need to see the back of the switch today).

Good luck with the install.

Mark

nfpgasmask
08/10/2007, 11:33 AM
Cool man, I will see if I can locate some fog light switches.

Thanks,
Bart

Bart,

I would think that if you are going to run lights you would need to get the fog light switch. I'm not that electrically savy, but just looking at the back of all of the switches they are all very different. The plugs are all different shapes and sizes, and they have different numbers of wires running out of the back of them. I guess most switches are just on/off affairs so I suppose that you could rig a cruise control switch to work the lights.

Like I said before, though, the wording (in this case "Cruise Control") looks like it is silk screened onto the face of the switch and it doesn't look like you could sand it out and put something else in it's place. I have my VX and my camera with me at work today, so I can snap a couple of picture of the face of the switch if you would like, but you would have to wait until this weekend before I can pull the dash to get to the back of the switch (I may be able to jimmy it out from the front if you really need to see the back of the switch today).

Good luck with the install.

Mark

uncle_asa
08/12/2007, 08:29 PM
Cool, thanks. Do we know which switches from what vehicles will definitely work? Also, I might just opt for some from Merlin. Does any know what kind I should ask about?

You might probably consider Trooper's 99-up antifog light switch.

nfpgasmask
08/21/2007, 11:48 AM
OK, I just spoke to Merlin. He quoted me $23.92 for a new Isuzu Rodeo fog light switch. HOWEVER, he said there is no wiring harness on the back or anything and that wiring it up to something non-Isuzu would be difficult....

Any tips or pointers? Should I just go with some aftermarket switches?

Thanks - Bart

uncle_asa
08/21/2007, 12:19 PM
OK, I just spoke to Merlin. He quoted me $23.92 for a new Isuzu Rodeo fog light switch. HOWEVER, he said there is no wiring harness on the back or anything and that wiring it up to something non-Isuzu would be difficult....

Any tips or pointers? Should I just go with some aftermarket switches?
We used AT or ATX motherboard power supply connector. Being cutted it fits perfectly to Isuzu switch ;)

etlsport
08/21/2007, 01:04 PM
here is a (bad) photo of the switches that control my lights and auxiliary fan sorry i couldnt get a better pic its an awful day out there and my point and shoot doesnt like that kinda weather

each switch was maybe $3 the carbon fiber was like 10 bucks for a whole roll of it and the actual panel is made from some leftover 3/16" plexiglass i just used a dremel to slowly grind it down til it fit nice and snug, its actually just friction fit in there, hasnt fallen out even after my weekend of offroading

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/switch_022.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/switch_022.jpg)

MSHardeman
08/21/2007, 01:24 PM
Bart,

I bought my fog light switch from Merlin, then went out to a salvage yard and found a Trooper, Rodeo, or Passport that had fog lights and clipped the wiring harness out of it (bring the switch with you to make sure you pull the one that fits). Like I've said before, I'm no electrical genius, but after sitting down to diagram the wiring layout (and using Moncha's diagram for what each prong on the back of the switch does http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=2 ) I was able to wire up an aftermarket set of fog lights that now sit where the round running lights used to be. I even wired up Moncha's auxillary fuse box while I was at it ( http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=6 ). It's been a couple of months now, and the VX hasn't burned down, so I guess I didn't cross anything up.

It's really not that difficult, and I love the factory look of the switch. You would swear it was supposed to be there (just like the tailgate release switch).

nfpgasmask
08/21/2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah, that's definitely my favorite option, but I also might just stick a simple toggle switch through one of the switch blanks....

Decisions, decisions...

Bart

Bart,

I bought my fog light switch from Merlin, then went out to a salvage yard and found a Trooper, Rodeo, or Passport that had fog lights and clipped the wiring harness out of it (bring the switch with you to make sure you pull the one that fits). Like I've said before, I'm no electrical genius, but after sitting down to diagram the wiring layout (and using Moncha's diagram for what each prong on the back of the switch does http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=2 ) I was able to wire up an aftermarket set of fog lights that now sit where the round running lights used to be. I even wired up Moncha's auxillary fuse box while I was at it ( http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=6 ). It's been a couple of months now, and the VX hasn't burned down, so I guess I didn't cross anything up.

It's really not that difficult, and I love the factory look of the switch. You would swear it was supposed to be there (just like the tailgate release switch).

cyronman
08/21/2007, 09:59 PM
Bart,

Have you considered switches like the ones in this thread ? (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=5088&highlight=rear+storage)

I want to get one with the cover for my trunk popper.
Not sure if Tone or anyone else ever got any from the link provided...I couldn't really 'understand' the sight :rolleyes:.
I'm sure something like that isn't hard to find though.