PDA

View Full Version : JDM Radio

edhubble
08/07/2007, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone. I just bought a JDM imported to the UK (where I live) and I'm trying to modify the radio. It seems the japanese only use a small section of the FM band and so the radio can only pick up a few stations here. I've been told of a 'band expander' but the one I found can only expand the high end, still missing stations broadcasting on the lower end. I don't want to replace the radio as it's built into the console and contains the reversing camera. Anyone tackled this problem?
Thanks

mdwyer
08/08/2007, 05:24 AM
Do you think the guts of the USA radio would fit inside the JDM radio? Or if you're lucky, the tuner is on a separate board....

I'm just making a guess, here, though. I don't even know if the JDM radio is similar.

ameetw
08/12/2007, 05:14 AM
What you need is a 10KHz booster. It boosts the frequency so that you can recieve the signal. It's about £15 here in Malaysia. The readings on the player is different but it works.
All you do is plug the FM antenna to the unit and the unit to your player. Supply a 12V power and you're done.

Ameet

castigan
09/16/2007, 11:57 PM
What you need is a 10KHz booster. It boosts the frequency so that you can recieve the signal. It's about £15 here in Malaysia. The readings on the player is different but it works.
All you do is plug the FM antenna to the unit and the unit to your player. Supply a 12V power and you're done.

Ameet

need more stuff in here.... seeing as i have a JDM... yes.. band expanders.. about $5nz.. real cheap.. most electronics store sell them.. i put one in yesterday... and the radio is double din, twice the size of the US model...

moon buggy
10/10/2007, 12:16 AM
we had to replace our JDM unit in our VX here in Oz as I tried the expander, but still got scratchy reception, boosted the antennae with an amp..still crappy..then after all that the screen shat itself..so we put in an Alpine W200 double din unit single CD/DVD unit 4x50 watt, the rear camera hooked straight upto it..works perfectly [great picture..!!]..touch screen etc..and a better sound..with more power

Equivalent o'seas models are the W202 or W205 from Alpine..which I believe enable TV tuners and /or GPS from Alpine to work thru the touch screen..I didn't go that far. I was always hoping my screen would hold out, but we tried to live with a compromised tuner setup with the JDM, but when the screen pooped itself, it was time for an upgrade..

Hope this helps

David