PDA

View Full Version : Common VX problems you'd like Isuzu to resolve.

paultvx
05/31/2003, 12:14 AM
THE PETITION IS HERE (http://www.PetitionOnline.com/vx2m9901/petition.html).

Post your beef with your VX and your dealer here.

Vasha13
05/31/2003, 04:54 AM
Details about my car:

2001 Kaiser Silver purchased new May 18th, 2002 at Covert Isuzu
Currently 13,760 miles as of today's date

Parts/Labor I have had to have replaced since ownership:

*headlight gaskets (twice) - disintegrating around exterior portion of headlights
* windshield wipers - excessive peeling/flaking
* hood insert - large crack (7") appeared overnight
* headlights themselves due to covers peeling and discoloring near 'horn' area
* all 4 chrome rims due to peeling/pitting/bubbling on inside

Negative experiences I have had with dealership - all warranty work done at Covert Isuzu in Austin, Texas:

*1st fix of headlight gaskets took 3 service technicians to handle and finally, after 6 weeks of waiting, a call to the service manager to get the ball rolling. Once the parts arrived, it only took a couple of hours to get it done.
*Dealership originally tried to tell me my rims were not chrome and wasn't sure if they would be covered. After whipping out my original window sticker detailing the features of the car, they acknowledged they were chrome. They advised they had never seen this problem before and swore up and down that it isn't a common problem until I printed out the multiple threads from this forum and club vmag detailing that it is common. They ordered my rims for me and then gave them to another Vehicross owner who had the same problem but came in after I did. They ordered a second set for me and called me in to have them replaced. After leaving my car there all day, I find out that the other owner had a scratched rim in the replacement set and they again used one on order for me to fix that Vehicross so I was once again forced to bring it in an additional time. Also, if I hadn't checked before leaving the lot, Covert would have sent me out on tires filled only to 23 psi instead of the recommended 35 psi on the stock tires.
*Originally denied my claim regarding the headlights saying that I was 'getting enough stuff replaced' and that they only buffed out 'some' of the peeling/discoloration on the headlights. They wouldn't replace them. I went home and thought about it over the weekend and decided that wasn't good enough especially since this was the weekend that the hood insert issue appeared. I called on Monday and advised that I wasn't going to take no for an answer and after a 30 minute call to the service manager, managed to get them, my hood insert and my windshield wiper replacements ordered.
*I also have the slow window motor problem but I have not brought that to their attention yet or had it dealt with.
*They never call me to let me know when parts are in or labor is finished. Whenever my car is at Covert, I spend all day calling to find out its status and whether or not it is finished. To date, they have yet to meet a requested finish time so I can pick my car up according to my schedule.

I have to take it into the dealership again this week (this will be a total of 7 visits in about a year) and will post/edit to this entry as appropriate.

6/7/03 Update - had my VX into the dealership this week for headlight replacement (crazing problem) and a new hood insert (cracked). I picked it up, was in a hurry and checked it out later. Results: front right headlight gasket was incompletely installed, new hood insert was chipped at both top corners and the left headlight didn't work at all. Also, they gouged the cladding on the left side when they used a screwdriver to pry the headlight workings out.

6/25/03 Update: Took my VX back into the dealership yesterday for them to repair the things they messed up on 6/7. The third hood insert installed today has worse chips in it than the one previously installed. They are currently ordering me a FOURTH hood insert so I can come back in another two weeks. At least the headlights work this time.

Jennifer Gray
Austin, TX

nyc #1 ironman
06/01/2003, 03:10 PM
windows , cd player, rubber around headlights wiper arms peeling,

gregory46
06/01/2003, 08:19 PM
1. window
2. headlight rubber surroundings
3. wind noise
4. cd changer
5. wiper peeling
6. rims peeling

Simon Templar
06/01/2003, 08:39 PM
1) Windows

2) Water Leak

3) Lies About Work Done While Fixing Water Leak

4) Collateral damage done to vehicle interior whilst fixing water leak.

5) General lack of support and interest by dealers....ALL dealers.

.....sT

SPAZZ
06/01/2003, 08:53 PM
Seats coming loose, rattle in dash, sh!!!y gas mileage, rubber around lights, exhaust, I'll think of some more when calmed down......but these are problems that dealer will not fix. I have had plenty of other problems, but had to fight to the burm just to get those fixed under warranty......they just can't view problem at hand amd admit it is a legit problem.
They start with stuff like "you have a after market air cleaner......modified...can't fix it"
:mad:

hitnrun74
06/02/2003, 04:16 AM
My case may be a little out of the scope, but my VX had, and still has, a paint flaw on the hood. The dealer I bought it from, Bishop Isuzu of Ohio, said to bring it in a week after I bought. During that week they promptly went out of business, absconded with my traded-in vehicle, which has as of yet, NOT been paid off. It's been a credit nightmare. They also told me they would replace my wheels and repair my windshield seal water leak. The only one of these items that got repaired was the windshield seal at Fred Martin Isuzu (good dealership).

Schriv
06/02/2003, 06:56 AM
Heres my list of annoyances:
#1 All four wheels flaking on the backside.
#2 Headlight gaskets came loose
#3 Winshield wipers paint flaked off
#4 Headlight lens getting cloudy spots
#5 passenger window slow to raise/binding

All but #1 have been corrected/replaced or repaired by myself.

TimG
06/02/2003, 08:44 AM
2001 Victory White Vehicross, 58000 miles.

1. window binding problem (dealer fixed, but It's starting to happen again)

2. cd changer problem (it fixed itself, but it's starting to freak out again, and I have no doubt that I'll be having it replaced this year)

3. problem where not enough lubrication gets to the #1 cylinder which results in you getting a new short block.

Unlike most dealers, mine actually has good customer service. They also didn't hassle me about fixing all of my problems under waranty.

Wayne
06/02/2003, 10:08 AM
El Problemos:

1. Bad cd player
2. Crack in hood insert
3. Binding windows
4. Headlight gaskets loose.

My original dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle (Pacifico) had the Isuzu portion of their dealership taken from them by Isuzu. Well deserved. I now go to Keystone Motors in Landsdale, Pa. which is primarily a Volvo dealership. So far, the service has been great. They replaced my cd player with NO questions asked. They attempted to fix the window binding problem by lubricating the tracks, but this only worked for a few days. I'll be going in for service in the next week or so, and will see what they can do about items 2 thru 4. I don't anticipate any problems, as they seem to know what service is about at Keystone...

WormGod
06/02/2003, 10:38 AM
I had most of these problems on BOTH of my VX's (2000 and a 2001). Currently, I have ALL of these problems on my newest one, which was bought new just 15 months ago.

1- headlight trim coming off (both)
2- hood insert cracking (both)
3- chrome wheels flaking and bubbling (2001)
4- wiper arms fading and peeling (2001)
5- headlight plastic flaking (both)
6- power windows lagging (2000)
7- CD Changer (2000)
8- service dept cooperation/competence (2000)
9- ISUZU of America cooperation/responsibility to customers (2000)

I have a nice list for my old Rodeo and Amigo also, but I am sure I can save those for another chapter. Those were MOSTLY service and headquarters problems.

RobVX
06/02/2003, 11:59 AM
2001 Ebony VX #1301, bought new Jan 2003, 6400 miles.

Problems fixed by dealer to date:
1. All 4 chrome rims peeling badly. Buz Post Isuzu in Arlington, Texas replaced all 4 under warranty.

Current problems yet to be addressed:
1. Rubber trim around both headlights flapping in the breeze, and both headlights show UV "hazing" of the plastic around the "horn" area of the headlights.
2. Both wiper blade arms are peeling and discolored.
3. Window regulator issues; no major binding yet, but I'm sure I'm due like everyone else.
4. Beginning of a "line" on my hood insert; sounds like the beginning of the hood insert cracking problem.

I hope the dealer is as willing and easy to work with on these other issues. Rob A.

AnalogVX
06/02/2003, 12:06 PM
1999 Astral bought used Sept. 2002 with 36k. Now has 51k.

Only problems I have had were:
1. headlight gaskets falling off. I super glued back on.
2. Driver window binding. I apply silicone spray every when it needs it. Seems OK.
3. CD player acting up on disc #6. I have replaced the factory radio with a Sony.

I guess I should be so lucky?

Oh and I have never been to the dealer for anything. All service is performed by Firestone Matercare in St. Charles. They have been GREAT!

Swimmer
06/02/2003, 03:17 PM
I have a 2001, with 32000 miles

I have had my hood replace due to ripple in plastic
Cd changer is toast
passenger side window at first would not seal..created water leak..dealer fixed x3
check engine light came on x4..turned out to be faulty emissions sensor only took a few months to figure out
Fasten seat belt light on..another bum sensor
All have been fixed by dealer but they were not to happy about it
except for the CD changer..I use my Ipod now..;Dy;

Cptnmorgan
06/02/2003, 04:33 PM
1. CD Changer (fixed after call to IoA)
2. Headlight rubber came off both lights (fixed)
3. BAD BAD Shocks (never fixed, excuses like tire size and air pressure causing TOD to react funny, shocks are being replaced with Rancho's)
4. Weather stripping on both doors tearing (fixed, kind of, they did miss one)
5. Metal that holds weather stripping on passenger side (drip rail), cracking with rust (fixed after two months, a bogus car rental, and a call to IoA, and Buz Post service manager)
6. both windows binding (fixed, but messed up tint on windows, and fixed without telling me, I told them I would have them re-tinted by the original tint shop, they agreed, but when they received the bill complained about the price and agreed to only pay half)
7. wiper arms peeling and rusted (never returned with a resolution, brushed me off until warranty ran out)
8. Buz Post Isuzu only willing to fix "known" problems without authorization of Isuzu. (although painfully obvious there is a problem) This is in reference to the Drip rail, window binding (said it was an adjustment and not covered under warranty), and shocks (which never got replaced under warranty).
9. Isuzu of America very uncooperative until this board is given as reference, even then not willing to return phone calls. I must call them at least three times to get a call back, and then Texas region representative (3rd one in a year and a half) is rude and not willing to help. All leg work between the dealer and Isuzu must be initiated by myself as a middle man.

Last call to Isuzu of America revealed bad bookeeping as they had no record of me having any problems with vehicle from earlier than February of 2003. This is even after them issuing the work order on the window binding issue in April of 2002.

I would say I am a very unsatisfied customer with service after the sale. Product is very good, but needs tweaking as it is a custom design, that is bound as any car to have flaws.

3C

kelledee
06/02/2003, 05:56 PM
I havde a 2001 with 25,000 miles. Problems I have had since buying in Dec. 2002:

1. WINDOWS WINDOWS WINDOWS
2. Headlight gaskets coming loose
3. VERY, VERY, VERY bad and annoying squeaks from shocks?or
struts?.:mad:

Windows: I FINALLY got fixed after 4 tries with new motor. Window may not be aligned right although it works fine. Tint isn't even with sides anymore.

Gaskets: Is this under warranty? Haven't addressed it yet.

Squeaks: Anyone with ideas? Everyone tells me this is normal with 4X4 struts or shocks and they are fine. I have never had a vehicle do this and I have had 4X4 before. It is very annoying.

I used Jim Reed service dept. in Nashville, TN. They were ok once they decided to replace motor in window on passenger side. I had to pay to get driver's side greased and worked on when it was dragging and slow. Since I haven't addressed other problems I will let you know how that goes. I am happy with them thus far and the rep I have there is Wayne Ferebee and he is GREAT!

carlymac
06/03/2003, 07:36 AM
I have a '99 Ironman, that was ordered in that same year. the problems I've had include:
1) both window regulators and motors changed, 5 trips to the dealer.
2)windshield wiper arms peeling, sanded and repainted myself.
3)headlight gasket flapping in the wind, glued it back myself.
4)CD player, 2 trips to the dealer and still don't have my cd's back.
The dealer gouged my dash while replacing the cd changer. they had some guy refill the gouge and texture it to match
5)hood insert, three trips to the dealer, they didn't order the IRONMAN hood decal for the replacement.
6)wet carpet on drivers side, dealer can't find anything but the damp carpet.
7)headlight lenses cracking, 2 trips to the dealer.
8)batteries, I'm on my third battery,no more oem for me...OPTIMA redtop.
9)transmission, 4 trips to get the shifter adjusted, still not right.

VXMAN
06/03/2003, 08:33 AM
I have or have had all of the same issues. Both windows binding. Dealer fixed once, but starting again. Dealer told me when they 1st fixed them, don't come back agian, if the problem happens again! It's your window tint causing it! Headlight rubber loose. Fixed myself! Peeling wiper arms! Had a cd player issue. Just replaced the entire sound system instead. Flaking wheels. Replaced all 4 wheel myself. Couldn't get fixed, it was just after the 12,000 mile mark!

Dave...

Simon Templar
06/03/2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by VXMAN
I have or have had all of the same issues. Both windows binding. Dealer fixed once, but starting again. Dealer told me when they 1st fixed them, don't come back again, if the problem happens again! It's your window tint causing it!

You should have asked him if he was familiar with the term 'Breach of Contract'. If it happens again, take your attorney with you.

I had a shop try something like that with me about 15 years ago. Took my order...insisted upon full payment up front....promised 4 week delivery and still nothing after 4 months....then refused to refund. Took my attorney, a police officer friend of mine (in uniform), and stood around his showroom where everyone in the house could see us until they produced my money......$5000 cash.

It's amazing how quickly such places change their tune and react when you start scaring away customers.

....sT

nyc #1 ironman
06/22/2003, 03:04 PM
Am I wrong or have only 4 people signed this petition? People if your having problems and want something done about your problems with the vx I strongly doubt Isuzu is going to listen to 4 people. With the boatload of people who stated their problems only 4 have signed pauls petition. You will regret not siging when you have to pay out of you a_ _ when you have more problems and Isuzu claims not even to know you exist. Do yourself and every one the board a favor and sign this so paul can confront Isuzu and hopefully help us all. As I said with 4 signatures they will just laugh at him. These should all be recalled for these issues... Thank you for your effort Paul..

skullcap
06/22/2003, 03:27 PM
* recurring driver's side under-dash water leak

* recurring binding of driver's side power window

* HVAC high-fan control cuts-off all airflow (new problem)

*headlamp gaskets beginning to come loose

Horton Isuzu (Atlanta) has been very accomodating about trying to make repairs under warranty, but will be returning for the 3rd time for "wet-mat syndrome".

Dealer reports contacting Isuzu engineers to address problem, but they seem oblivious to a recurring issue with front-end leaks.

Spike
06/22/2003, 03:38 PM
... going to wait until I get my VX back... and see what they did right and wrong with the short block/oil pump swap. (i sure hope the heads are okay)

I do know that before I bought it, the previous owner had a window motor and rear shocks replaced .. under warranty.

ScottinMA
06/22/2003, 04:57 PM
This post has been up for a while on only "6" of you have posted.

RobVX
06/22/2003, 06:20 PM
Make that nine (9); come on guys and gals, get off your you know what and sign!!!

lostemple
06/23/2003, 05:40 AM
I am number 11. I find it hard to believe that there are not more signitures. This post should be bumped on a daily basis so blind visitors like myself know of it's existance.

Bump!

kpaske
06/23/2003, 06:31 AM
Number 12...

Bump!

nyc #1 ironman
06/23/2003, 07:41 AM
I am #4,,,, sign, sign, sign, people, don't abandon your VX's surgical needs, what kind of parents are you??? ;)

Wayne
06/23/2003, 11:46 AM

Navigator
06/23/2003, 12:29 PM
19 :fyi:

TimG
06/23/2003, 12:36 PM

Give people time to sign it. It's only been up a day so far.

Cptnmorgan
06/23/2003, 01:21 PM

Sorry I missed the link post. I'm there now!!!

VXD959
06/23/2003, 01:26 PM
24 & 25 (my household has two VXs).

It will help if a new petition thread is created (instead of using this one. I did not notice the petition until a scroll further down) .

Cheers!

ron
06/23/2003, 01:31 PM

Anita
06/23/2003, 01:38 PM
Since the petition has a link directing people to view this thread, at some point we may want to delete the counting thing...;Dr;

VX crazy
06/23/2003, 02:00 PM
Sorry so slow! I am #29!

michaeltrfiel
06/23/2003, 03:16 PM
I just signed, as number 30.

here is the site,

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/vx2m9901/petition.html

took me a while to read through all the threads to find the site.

I am just under 30K on my VX 2001 Ironman Edition.

Michael

Leah
06/23/2003, 03:25 PM
Window binding
Hood insert cracking
Headlight seal seperating
Door seal splitting
Foul odor from A/C
Damp floor on passenger side
Hood latch loosening
CD Changer scratching CDs in #6 slot

hchen
06/23/2003, 05:21 PM
im the original owner of my 99 vx and i have almost 60k on it right now....other than my accident that cost 6 grand to fix the exterior...which i thought would bring some problems...i havent had any yet other than isuzu dealerships closing down. but i'll sign it anyways just in case...

TucsonVX
06/23/2003, 05:27 PM
Living in the desert

The only problems I have had were:
1. headlight gaskets falling off. Dealer replaced both headlights.
2. Driver window binding. I apply silicone spray every when it needs it. Seems OK.

SGT.BATGUANO
06/23/2003, 08:29 PM
Had both headlights replaced within 3 days of new purchase due to clearcoat crazing. Had 1 wheel replaced due to blistering chrome, now the replacement is worse than the original . Peeling at tire/ rim juncture. Other 3 wheels exhibiting pitting on inside and showing more severe signs of the pitting I mentioned prior to purchase. They told me at that time that they would STEEL WOOL? them. I'm going to attempt to get them all replaced prior to 12K miles and PROPERLY clear coat them for additional protection.

My brother, who works in the auto industry told me that the Japaneese save all the good parts and send 2nd rate parts here, similar to the hi-perf versions of their cars that we can't get.

SPAZZ
06/23/2003, 10:59 PM
;Dp;

kelledee
06/24/2003, 08:01 AM
Passenger window coming off track again.
I have found now that paint is coming off wipers also.

I signed petition!!! EVERYONE SIGN UP!

Dallas4u
06/24/2003, 08:19 AM
I never listed my problems, so here they are:

- Windows off track: Dealer said they fixed the problem (they all do, don't they?). Still binds with rubber sealer when going up, every now and then... and still pretty slow.

- Headlight gaskets: Both came off at the same time. Dealer said they would just glue them back on, so I did it myself.

Anita
06/24/2003, 09:23 AM
Windows slowed, went off track and finally busted plastic tabs on window. Had to replace whole window and regulator (driver's side).

Headlight gaskets coming off. Replaced headlight assemblys.

Wiring harness rubbed behind left headlight causing wire to fray and ground, losing console and tail lights.

gruven
06/24/2003, 09:46 AM
My 2001 Dragon woes:

1) headlight gaskets coming loose
2) wiper arms and door handles faded & peeled
3) the infamous wet floor mat
4) pressure (or I guess lack thereof) for windshield wiper fluid nozzles

windows and cd changer still OK but I only have 11,000 miles.

-gruven:supercool

phines
06/24/2003, 10:05 AM
My list of 'unprovoked' problems...

1) headlight gaskets coming loose
2) wiper arms and door handles faded & peeled
3) both windows ended up binding and coming off track, so I tore the doors open and fixed them myself. I don't trust the dealer here.

If any of you VX owners have the window problem and have given up on the dealer fixing it, contact me. I'll help you out.
________
REPLAYE SC2 (http://screplays.com/replays)

Cyrk
06/24/2003, 10:56 AM
My 1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS Problems: (33,000 miles)

- Headlight gaskets came off. (re-glued myself)

- Passenger side window ended up binding and coming off track.

- Starter went (replaced under warranty).

- CD changer on the fritz (fixed temporally by banging on the left side)

- Annoying squeaks from tail gate. (sorta fixed from dealer).

- Windshield wiper arms peeling.

- Headlight lenses cracking/Peeling inside.

-Dave

VX4EJR
06/24/2003, 03:09 PM
Hey everybody.....forgive me if this was already posted but exactly what's going to happen with this petition or where is it going to be sent?

Reason I'm asking is this, I had a little conversation with an Isuzu Owners Regional Manager for PA and well besides denying the existence of most of the popular defects pointed out here, he suggested that if there are truly multiple issues or defects they need to be well documented from owners with dealer repair records, pictures, and submitted to Isuzu directly for consideration. He mentioned that the only way Isuzu would honor any type of relief or maybe even a part redesign to remedy defects is if they have hard, repetitive and conclusive proof of the defects in large enough numbers. He also mentioned that a letter of intent be sent to this address to start the process:

Isuzu Motors, Inc.
Owner Relations
16323 Shoemaker Avenue.
Cerritos, CA 90702

I think this petition is a great idea. These things should not continue to happen within a reasonable amount of time on any vehicle, plain and simple. Not when Isuzu clearly advertises on their website that they do countless hours of testing to their vehicles to ensure quality and performance. It's borderline misleading advertising and depending on the rate of repair, vehicle diminished value as part of some state lemon laws. Anyways, just wanted to throw all that out there.....sorry for the rant folks.

Spike
06/24/2003, 03:48 PM
I purchased my VehiCross 2 months/2200 miles ago.

I know the previous owner had in the past 6 months taken it in to get a power window fixed. I believe he said it was in 3 times before they replaced the motor.

The rear shocks were replaced. He didn't even know they were bad, because his wife drove it, and never said anything.
The dealer in Wisconsin noticed it and took care of them.

As I just hit 30,000 miles, I just had it in at the dealership getting a new short block, due to a very lsudden and oud rod knock and to get headlight weather stripping taken care of.

They replaced the short block, oil pump, and both headlamp housings. Took 2 weeks, and I was not entitled to a rental from the factory warranty. I only drove15 miles since I picked it up with the new engine, I didn't want to deal with rush hour traffic.
I will get a better sense of how it is driving later on this evening.

While I am surprised that I got it back within 2 weeks. To need half an engine at such a young life, is a bit severe.

Oh yea.. #45

dtruax
06/24/2003, 03:53 PM
Passanger Window - 4 times
Driver Windows - 3 times
CD Changer - 3 times
Headlight Gaskets
Rear Axel Seals
Front ABS sensor
Window Washer Motor

PBR
06/24/2003, 04:41 PM
I am signed on, my biggest complaint is noisy differential at 60 mph plus, dealer replaced both rear wheel bearings, didnt make a difference but cant get him to do more, going to the meet in Ocala to document if others have noise if they don't I am going to do my own petition as well.

AlaskaVX
06/26/2003, 05:58 PM
Passanger Window - 2 times
Driver Windows - 2 times
Headlight Gaskets

CD Changer was replaced and is acting up again, They told me that my CD's were too scratched which by the look of the returned CD's was definately not the case. It also took about 6 months to get my CD's back.

I am still in debate over my peeling rims (It's been over a month now with no responce from the head guy (Anchorage rep.))

EDIT: after nearly 2 months of calling they finally got back to me and denied the replacement of my rims. They didn't give me an explanation why. Just gave me a 1-800 # to complain.

I also want to add that my hood is not straight, Its such a sleek looking car but with a hood thats not on straight it just really sticks out to me.

EDIT2: Northern 4x4 ordered my injection o-rings from my local Isuzu shop and guess what.... The dealership ordered 1 o-ring and tried to charge the shop $18.75 for it. The shop was like "So what about the other 5 o-rings", Isuzu replied "what 5 others, you only ordered one" The shop called BS and sure enough Isuzu looked back at their records and saw an order of 6 injector o-rings. Now the rings are supposedley on next day air to the dealership, shipping being paid for by Isuzu. That would make Isuzu the reason my car has been in the shop for an extra 3-4 days. I'm not very happy (in fact I'm pissed) with this "service"

SuperDave
06/27/2003, 09:29 AM
I've had no problems except the defective windows (fixed for now) and headlight rubber (total replacement of both headlight assemblies under warranty). I leased my 99 Ebony in October, 1999 when the price was at its highest. The lease terminates this October and provides for a $16K purchase price. The total outlay would probably set a record for the most expensive stock VX in America. Nevertheless, given the maximum satisfaction and minimal problems presented over only 28K miles, my best option may be to surrender and enjoy it.

PWX1
06/30/2003, 10:44 PM
is there going to be a separate petition for those with and without modifications

Ebony1433
07/10/2003, 01:40 PM
Well, I just became signature # 48...here's my list of issues:

A-Peeling rims-replaced under warranty by Dom's Isuzu/Kia in North Plainfield, NJ. Subsequently, Dom's no longer sells Isuzu or performs warranty work, as of about a month ago.
B-Defective Power/Winter switch-replaced by Open Roads Honda/Mazda/Isuzu under warranty. Open Roads is no longer a "full" Isuzu shop, so I was told by the service writer.
C-Passenger side power window opened slowly-fixed under warranty by Dom's.
D-Rattle in dash-fixed by Dom's.
E-Dome light had a short-replaced by my "new" dealer, Dick Greenfield Dodge/Isuzu in Lawrenceville, NJ.
F-Creaking front suspension-bushings oiled by Dick Greenfield.
G-Cracked Hood Insert-waiting to hear if this is covered by warranty (!) from Dick Greenfield.

There's my list, hopefully it won't get any longer....Question: Wasn't there a post from WSG saying this forum had over 500 members, not too long ago? Then why haven't more people signed the petition? Do the other 90 % of the members of Vehicross.info have absolutely no problems with their VX? Paul T. was kind enough to organize the petition, it seems the least the VX "family" can do is document the repeated quality issues found with our beloved VX's. Also, with the way Isuzu dealerships keep disappearing with alarming frequency, the VX community will need every advantage possible regarding future service concerns. That's my two cents-thanks for listening.

Wulfgott
07/10/2003, 03:45 PM
Just a little post to list what ailments my VX has had since I brought her home.

Problem----------------------------------solution

Headlight Seal (passenger) -------Both modules replaced (warr)
Annoying ***** squeak in rear door --------nothing yet
Passenger Window coming off track-----------nothing yet
Driver window sounds like it is starting to------nothing yet
Hood insert stress crack----replaced....twice

Center console latch failed day we bought it, dealer did a hack job fixing it (Dealers suck)

WIERD rattle/electrical arcing noise from dash near A/C vents ???

I am planning on taking it to the dealer here again in a week or so to get the windows fixed, the squeak fixed, and to give them **** about scratches on the hood from where they replaced the hood insert last time. (Wife took it in while I was away on business) I only noticed scratches a few days ago while hand waxing. Scratches are in a place that could only be from lifting hood insert out/putting in.

I have seen people ask if the "cracked hood insert" is covered by warranty, probably has been answered. But, here is my experience. Mine has been replaced TWICE now under warranty. so go tell them to f-ing replace it. The cracks my hood insert developed were drived side about mid way down the insert moving straight across to passenger side. Most likely cause of this crack after looking at it, is over tightening by the joey installing it.

Just my 2 cents with a nickel thrown in.

Wulfgott

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/10/2003, 08:40 PM
#1 All four wheels flaking on the backside @ around 20k miles.
(No action taken since I heard about 12k warranty.)

#2 Passenger side Headlight gasket came loose.
(Fixing myself)

#3 Passenger side window slow to raise/binding.
(Dealer said they corrected and lubed rails under warranty; Problem resurfaced within a week. I have had good success with spraying both window tracks liberally with silicone spray about once every 60 days. Eventually when warranty :rolleyes: expires
I will probably follow the route of that God of a VX'er :p Phines
and apply his expertise.)

#4 Both front stock(KYB) shocks bad.
(Dealer agreed both front shocks bad; replaced under warranty)

On a humorous note; I think you people jinx me 'cause I never have a problem until AFTER I read about yours! My windows were fine until I heard about yours! Stop the Madness! Renounce the Curse!!!;eekp;

Signing the petition....

Heraclid
07/10/2003, 08:56 PM
Window problem, of course. This is not the only problem I have with mine, but it is the only one thus far attributable to manufacturer defect.

I have a small crack in my door panel from someone evidently having been inside the door to fix the windows at least once before, so that's the dealer's fault. Wish I had the previous owner's number or something to verify this happened after they serviced it for that. Not impressed with this dealer (the same one the previous owner had it serviced by at all the proper intervals) so far and would love to make them eat the cost of fixing that, 'cause I just know that's what happened.

mrlarrys
07/17/2003, 02:21 PM
I have about 6,750 miles on my 2001 proton VX and noticed the rims are peeling crome and the headlight gaskets are comming loose. Everything must be covered due to low millage !!! Have an appointment Aug 1st to address problems.
Larry

totallto
12/28/2003, 02:02 AM
I # 61!

Wulfgott
12/28/2003, 03:03 AM
My list of problems:

1: Hood insert crack

2: Head light seals (both)

3: slow windows/binding (replaced motivators both)

4: Seat falling apart (drivers, Replaced)

5: Hood insert cracking again. This time I had them let me install with the tech. They were not wanting to do this but let me in the end. I think the crack is do to improper torquing as when the tech was tighting it down I had to chew him out for "cranking it down" no torque wrench, nothing

6: Bad center console latch thingy. and the darn thing was REALLY loose overall. They replaced the assembly then I had to unbolt and reattach it (they didn't put the right bolts in). Always take pictures of your vehicle before you take it in and after.

7: Crack door trim (both sides) from when they replaced window motivators

8: Dents in passenger door from window motivator replacement. How the heck they managed that I have no clue.

Santa Ana Isuzu sucks.

Mtn VX
12/28/2003, 07:26 AM
1999 Ebony

Problems so far:
1. Driver's side window motor
2. Passenger's side window motor
3. Peeling/flaking windshield wipers

NC_VX
12/28/2003, 07:35 AM
1. CD Changer
2. Driver/Passanger Window Motor
3. Headlight Liner coming off in wind
4. Peeling flaking rims

Beavertractors
12/28/2003, 03:14 PM
I seem to be having the same problem with the drivers side window going off the track and binding..The headlight gasket's and the wheels pitting on the inside (minor pitts)...I will NOT bring my V-Cross to a dealer for simple repairs or service ..If my engine or something important breaks ,I have to, I will walk around the car with the service guy and note the two minor scratches that I have,and the perfect interior.. Tony B

mrlarrys
12/29/2003, 06:02 AM
Got everything fixed under warentee from Hassett Isuzu in wantagh Long Island. They fixed peeling rims, headlight gasket and peeling front lower window cowl (near windshield wipers), and gasket above door on roof (clip broken).
The only problem now is the drivers window is moving slowly but a shot of silicone grease has a quick fix for the moment.

Eckstream
12/29/2003, 12:23 PM
1. Egr valve 3-times since Sept. 03
2.Egr tube 3-times since Sept. 03
3.Power/Winter button 1 time
4.Peeling wheels

I love my VX but I had to fight to get some things taken care of that should be included in my 72 mo optional warrantee.

nyc #1 ironman
12/29/2003, 01:18 PM
What happened to your power winter button?

Eckstream
12/31/2003, 10:31 AM
The button still worked sort of...... The winter button would not click and lock into place but the power button still worked fine. Is this what happened to yours

PWX1
12/31/2003, 12:58 PM
THAT'S ALL THE WINTER BUTTON DOES- 3RD GEAR?
I CAN DO THAT MYSELF AND KEEP IT THERE PAST
20 MPH- I HAD HOPED THAT IT MAY HAVE TRANSFERED
SOME MORE POWER TO THE FRONT WHEELS FOR A BETTER DESCENT/ASCENT ON ICE-
NO WONDER I LOOK LIKE DOROTHY HAMILL DOING
THE CAMEL ON THE ICEY ROADS UP HERE!

;eekr;

Simon Templar
12/31/2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by PWX1
THAT'S ALL THE WINTER BUTTON DOES- 3RD GEAR?
I CAN DO THAT MYSELF AND KEEP IT THERE PAST
20 MPH-

I think you misunderstood what he said.

What the 'Winter' button does is force the transmission into 3rd although you are at a standstill. You pull away from the stop in 3rd gear. You do NOT start in 1st and shift upwards. Therefore, you can't 'do that yourself.'

Forcing the transmission into 3rd from a stop decreases the tendency to spin the rear wheels on the ice or snow as you pull away. This therefore decreases the chance that you might lose control of the vehicle and allow it to slide sideways into a ditch....or into somone else at the traffic light.

Think ice. Think snow. Think slippery. Think reduced torque. You'll figure it out.

....sT

PWX1
12/31/2003, 01:20 PM
GOT IT! - BEING A PHD I DO UNDERSTAND PHYSICS
JUST WAS HOPING IT WORKED A LITTLE LIKE
THE DOWNHILL ASCENT BUTTON ON A ROVER!
SINCERELY,
HALF-WIT

Simon Templar
12/31/2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by PWX1
GOT IT! - BEING A PHD I DO UNDERSTAND PHYSICS

Well....isn't that odd? A bit more than twenty years ago, when *I* was a Doctoral candidate, I already knew that leaving ones' Caps Lock on gave the impression of yelling.

Sigh,

.....sT

deermagnet
12/31/2003, 02:05 PM
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag/imag/button.jpg

4WD Lo is the best thing for slippery or steep descents without braking. I made it all the way down Mt. Washington, NH without braking in 2nd and 3rd 4WD Lo. In some spots, it was a 20% grade.

Mark

Moncha
12/31/2003, 04:38 PM
Simple question, simple answer.. I know that Simon did not mean any offense. With keyboards, you have to remember there is a lack of emotion and that can be misconstrued. However, when a posting is made in all caps, it is read as a shout, which in turn can lead to a less than desireable reaction.

On a side note, I am working on a script to eliminate shouting in posts to help curb some problems.

PWX1
12/31/2003, 05:18 PM
opps
i was working off my laptop while stuck at dulles-
forgot the so called message board etiquette-
didn't mean to interupt the flow o fgreat ideas-
not even sure i spelled all the big words right!
happy new year- thanks for the diagram-

Eckstream
12/31/2003, 07:31 PM
No my winter light does not come on in the instrument cluster and the button does not stay down like the power button does. Ive tried messing with it and I think the switch failed. Ill get it in to the shop as soon as I can... Its not like we have any snow here in PA......:( :( :(

Moncha
12/31/2003, 07:40 PM
The winter button does not lock down, it is a momentary switch. The light will only come on when you are at a full stop and only then will the winter mode activate.. If you think there is a problem then definately get it to the shop.. I KNOW you have snow up there in your neck of the woods.. Don't want anything to happen to one of our brothers!

VX_PA
01/02/2004, 06:06 AM
My winter button wasn't working before my engine was replaced. I could push it while at a stop and nothing would happen, no light and no change in gearing. I didn't tell the dealership it wasn't working when they replaced the engine, but when I picked it up I tried it and it worked. I don't know if it was coincidence or if the service guys actually fixed something that wasn't on the list. It works now and I guess that's all that matters.

I'm outta snow though, can anyone order some up?? Nevermind, I'll be out of town until the middle of this month. Have to wish for some then. Don't think I'll see any snow in Pheonix, AZ?? Then again Vegas got like 3 inches last week.

joe-yamma
01/09/2004, 06:43 AM
I just signed the petition, #68.
1999 Ironman, approximately 37,000 miles

Problems:

1.) Driver's side window binding and coming off track.
I attempted the fix and lubed w/ silicone, but window still needs to be guided with hand to stay in track when winding up.
1a. Passenger window slowing, silicone lube seems to help.

2.) Headlight gaskets... previous owner glued, but glue is coming out. In the spring I will re-glue with auto trim adhesive.

3.) Excessively bouncy shocks

4.) Possible oil usage

Even with these problems, I love my VX :D

Joe

Y33TREKker
12/05/2004, 06:39 PM

1) - Just noticed cracked hood insert.

2) - Passenger seat feels loose.

3) - Faded paint on wiper arms.

All relatively minor stuff. Haven't taken it to a dealer for inspection yet.

thebear54
12/06/2004, 04:59 AM
OK...here are my problems. Minor, but irritating as hell:

1. Passenger side window motor--R.I.P. (binding before it bit before it went to motor heaven).

2. Hood rubber seals working loose. *Fixed that with 3m glue.

3. Drivers side window binding. May have to try "Bert's window fix" on that one.

4. Ignition key starting to stick.
John

LITTLELAURIE
12/11/2004, 03:39 PM
#( 97)!!

Okay, my VX friends, here's the deal: My 2001 VX, has the nutorious, drivers' side, "wet spot"!!! I am taking my VX back to the dealership on Monday! These people in the service department, must live with their heads up their a$$es!! (to say the least)! Or, they really are mean spirited people and love to mess with me by making me come back, week after week!! Can anyone, who's had this problem and by some miracle, actually had a correct diagnosis and solution for this, please list for me, where the water is coming from?? My leak is on the drivers' side floor board, where my right foot would rest, if it weren't stepping on the gas. Hope that makes sense! I plan to copy off your posts and bring them with me when I go out there next week. Also, obviously, the mat under the carpet needs to be replaced, but, the carpet itself, is wearing real bad where it's wet! Shouldn't that be replaced as well?? My VX is still under warranty, shouldn't all of that be covered too? Please help me!! Thankyou!!! Oh yeah, I've had the problem with the rubber around the headlights and both regulators replaced! Also, my stock wheels were peeling! Roy, I hope that Brayley and Grahm fixed that for you and didn't jerk you around, like they've been jerking me!!! Thanks again for purchasing the set from me!!

newthings
12/11/2004, 07:21 PM
Hi Laurie,
B and G said my 2001 had some level of warrentee ending at 3 years or 36,000 mi. I was at 3 years and 3 months with 35900, when I drove in. I left the rims for the Izusu rep to see. Two weeks later they had new rims for me. I bot the extended warrentee from Isuzu for $1300 and it is called a WRAP policy on the docs. I asked about how to go after my water leak and a 1441 check engine light that I have had for a long time. They said I would have to leave the car and get a rental. The issues may or may not be covered, I can't get a straight answer without jumping in. What I get for the WRAP policy is not clear.
I would hope with you living closer to the dealer, you may get a faster response, which I will be following closely. Mike has been my contact. You might remind him I was in with the same problems 2 weeks ago.
I had rubber mats, so I did not notice the water for some time. I pulled the seat out, (4 bolts with Loc-Tite) and the door sill plastic. I used bath towels to wick out the water over two days. I then found the padding and foam block under the seat was also wet. Everything is dry now with no bad smell. Cool weather must have stopped the mold growth. I am now parking inside until I can pull off the windshield coweling and look for gap in the firewall to fender seal.
Closing the car and running the heater fan. Squirting soapy water around the suspect joints and searching for bubbles, has been suggested.
Roy

LITTLELAURIE
12/12/2004, 12:32 AM
Hi Roy!!! It's good to hear from you!! I hope my stock tires are serving you well!!! Anyhow, I'll tell you Roy, I am at my wit's end with B&G!!! They are completely jerking me around, about this water leak!! They are trying to blame the wires, that run along the weather stripping, on my windows, from the off road lights on my cargo rack!!!! It's like they don't want to put any effort into finding out where the water is coming from!!! After hearing this theory several times from ,'Steve'," the angry, I hate my job and want all of my customers to know it, service guy", I finally told the man, that this 'wet spot' was present, BEFORE, I had the rack and lights put on!!! Unfortunately,I will most likely be leaving my VX there for at least 2 days! Don't you think that they should just give us a rental car, until our rigs are ready??? I don't think that we should have to pay!!! What do you think?? So, is your leak fixed? If so, where was it coming from?

Y33TREKker
12/12/2004, 10:37 AM
LITTLELAURIE

I didn't know whether you may have already seen this thread, but it contained a couple of possible fixes for various water leaks that may help.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4779&highlight=floormat

I had also emailed one of our members quite a while back (don't remember his ID though) about his cure for the leak in his VX, and this was his email response...

"It was a body seam on the drivers side door. The guy just told me he had to take the door off to fix the seam.

First I took it to a guy (body-shop)who said it was a leak under my dash and he took the entire dash out and plugged a hole he saw there. That stopped the leaking about 20%. I was pretty mad at that point because it cost me $276 and they kept it for 4 days.

Then I took it to a glass guy, he said he removed my door and repaired the body seam. Now I don't know what that means, but that only cost me $76 and about 1/2 day.

Since then my leak is 100% gone."

Hopefully these will at least help you track down the problem area.

newthings
12/12/2004, 12:54 PM
Laurie
Call up and ask for Mike. Explain the problems in communicating with Steve (Who I have not met). Tell him about the leak prior to the wires. Offer to remove the wires. Hopefully he will give in and and commit to find the leak. The specific experiences here should help your case. Mike said that under the warrentee, we coud get the rental covered. I may be too far gone, but you are driving a newer ride.
I am keeping under cover for now. I still have the leak.
Roy

raider
12/12/2004, 02:16 PM
Petition signature #99

1. Headlight Rubber Seal/gasket
2. Bouncy rear shocks.
They seem to be shot. When going over a speed bump the vx slams down in the rear just after the rear tire clears the sb. Seems the shock can't hold the weight of the vx.
3. Transfer case.
Under hard accelleration the front drive seems to, in an instant, slip out of drive and then back into drive. Causeing a loud thump. Not all the time but occassionally. Only once did it happen while under a slow accelleration. As a result I rarely do hard accellerations.

tigress
05/04/2006, 02:49 PM
Hi,

My VX is a 99 and has just under 70K miles. Right now, the torque sensors are out so my 4WD isn't working, I was quoted $1600 to fix that. I just had the oxygen sensor, main inline gasket, air tank bolts, several other valves and another gasket (don't even know what it is) replaced at a cost of $810 less than a month ago. Now, driving today, I have the check engine and check trans lights on again and my fuel sensor is out. The bugger is going in tomorrow to see what new and fascinating things have gone wrong now.

Before all of this, I had to have the driver side window motor replaced ($400) and the key would get stuck in the ignition so they did something (another $400) to fix that! Not to mention the cd player has never properly worked and the speakers were a problem until I had the system rewired and two replaced.

What is going on here? There is another Isuzu VX (yellow) sitting at the dealership (Denver Isuzu) that I have taken my VX to which apparently blew the entire engine.

I'm happy to sign any petition and interested in any replies regarding legal action that might be taken.

Thanks,
Jennifer Hoppe
303-818-5308
jen@jenniferh.com

climbcovey
05/04/2006, 09:04 PM
1. common window sticking problem, lube helped but glass still "unstable" or loose
2. gaskets around headlights coming unglued, replaced gaskets
3. emblems chrome plating peeling
4. corrosion on wheels, peeling wheels, purchased aftermarket wheels
5. cd player malfunction, replaced unit once

mbeach
05/04/2006, 09:22 PM
Hi,

My VX is a 99 and has just under 70K miles. Right now, the torque sensors are out so my 4WD isn't working, I was quoted $1600 to fix that. I just had the oxygen sensor, main inline gasket, air tank bolts, several other valves and another gasket (don't even know what it is) replaced at a cost of $810 less than a month ago. Now, driving today, I have the check engine and check trans lights on again and my fuel sensor is out.

4WD - The vehicle speed sensor(s) could be out. 2 bolts each, and they can be found in most salvage yards. You can get new ones for less than a couple hundred dollars.
O2 sensor, main inline gasket, air tank bolts, valves and gasket...? - The O2 sensor, I could buy at 70k miles, but the other items... Don't even exist. I've been around engines my whole life - this sounds shady.

Before all of this, I had to have the driver side window motor replaced ($400) and the key would get stuck in the ignition so they did something (another $400) to fix that!

The window binding is a $5 fix. Even a new motor (if it were required) would be a third of what they charged you.
The key's a new one on me - It was probably a shoddy copy and just needed brushing up.

I'm happy to sign any petition and interested in any replies regarding legal action that might be taken.

You need to take legal action - against your service center.
YOU ARE GETTING ROBBED.
Some places assume that since you drive an odd vehicle, you are willing (and able) to pay whatever it takes to get it fixed.
You drive an Isuzu Trooper, with a fancy body kit -nothing more.
Make sure that your service manager is aware of this, and you won't stand for these bogus 'repairs,' because right now, you are making someone rich.

EDIT: After rereading my post (and realizing that this was your first vist to the boards) I have to clear up a few things:
The VX is as reliable as any average SUV. Better than a Mercedes, worse than a Toyota. Somewhere in the middle.
We gripe about them because we are picky. We tend to notice things that most others would look over.
We are small in numbers, so it's easier to find others with the same or similar issues -there's only one home for us, right here at .info.
As owners of rare/unusual vehicles, we do get taken advantage of. Stick around the boards for a few days; you'll see that if you want something done right -do it yourself. That's where we come in.

grnxr
05/06/2006, 07:45 AM
ARGH

I waited, last year, for 4 months for a catalytic converter. No rental, no helpf from dealership. I have had same problems with headlights (have replaced both of them) I have owned for less than five years!!

Now I'm weaiting (backorderd) for a mirror and have to decide about the CD.

I have an 01' Mica Green VX. The rims are peeling. It's all there - we all have the same issues. Think carefully - could anyone from Isuzu afford to acknowledge these inherent problems? I think not. What liability it would incur. Now we know why they stopped making them.

Anyone say ... Fleeced!

Mark B
05/06/2006, 10:45 AM
Keep the petition going. Hopefully Isuzu will take action. I have a 2000 Vehicross and a 1999 Amigo. If the problems are not fixed and continue, I will look for another manufacturer for my next vehicle. Toyota, Nissan or maybe go back to american built.
Problems with my 2000 VX at 39,000 miles.
1. Hood release will not work most of the time. Have tried to fix but nothing permanent.
2. Glass covers on headlights starting to look faded.
3. Carbon Fiber hood insert starting to crack.
4. CD player acting up.
This might not seem like much, but I have read on this site that numerous VX owners are having the same problems. Lets get Isuzu to acknowledge their problems and fix them.

mbeach
05/06/2006, 07:08 PM
You guys do realize that Isuzu is all but dead in the US don't you?

They don't care what we think, nor who we buy our next car from. That's why we are here to help each other resolve our problems.

I don't think that anyone here was 'forced' to buy their VXs. If you were looking for a 5 year old mini-SUV, you could have found a lot more for a lot less money.
We bought our VXs because we wanted them -not because they were all that we could afford -it's not like this is a Kia discussion group...

Shimoyake
09/08/2006, 07:51 AM
Window problems.
Wiper paint.

txvx
09/14/2006, 01:39 PM
I've just purchased a used VX; however, it didn't come with an owner manual.
Can you guys tell me where I can find the winter drive and the power drive buttons
and how to engage and disengage the winter drive or power drive mode. My power
drive indicator light just came on today and I figure that I must have hit something
accidentally.

Thanks for helping out

Henry

Zorak
09/14/2006, 01:47 PM
www.helminc.com for the manual, or wait for one to show up on ebay.

Push the power button again so it pops up, light should go out. Many people on this board leave theirs on though: better performance and, apparently, more mpg with it on.

Cobrajet
09/14/2006, 02:03 PM
Can you guys tell me where I can find the winter drive and the power drive buttons and how to engage and disengage the winter drive or power drive mode.Both buttons are located in the console. The Winter mode can only be engaged when stopped, and automatically disengages when you hit about 20 mph. It lets you start off in third gear. The Power mode but can be toggled on and off and will stay in whatever mode was last selected. Power mode adjusts the transmission for firmer and later shifts. Like Henry said, many of us keep it in Power mode all the time. I do.

Solitude
11/02/2006, 08:27 AM
Nice comments.. guess this is an ongoing gripe session.. would like to see some links to fixes..

well here is My gripe... My windows have never worked since I bought Mine new in july 02, and at 30,000 miles i didnt think it would be this bad now..

did warrenty on passenger window.. all that resulted was broken window and wrong tint color.. the problem came back 6 months later... now the driverside.. was perfect till the other day when it just dropped into oblivion on the way up..

I guess I will try a bodyshop.. since they work on everything maybe will be a fresh perspective.. gotta love those "money is no object" crisises when it comes to a vehicle so unique you are addicted to it...

hope to see others here in arizona .. have seen quite a few

Mark B
11/02/2006, 08:46 AM
# 135
2000 Green Dragon 38,000 milels
Hood will not release from inside VX
Cracks in CF hood insert
Rear Speakers sound bad
Headlight cloudy
Driver seat problems
I am worried because of all the problems reported from the VX owners.
My VX only has 38,000 miles. Am not looking forward to these problems.

Zorak
11/02/2006, 09:17 AM
# 135
2000 Green Dragon 38,000 milels
Hood will not release from inside VX
Cracks in CF hood insert
Rear Speakers sound bad
Headlight cloudy
Driver seat problems
I am worried because of all the problems reported from the VX owners.
My VX only has 38,000 miles. Am not looking forward to these problems.

Try turning the threaded rubber bumpers on the radiator cross brace out a few turns on each side, and lubricate the hood latch mechanism with white lithium spray grease (NOT WD-40) for your hood release problem.

Your other issues (with possible exception of "driver seat problems"-elaborate?) are not that unusual for a 6-7 year old vehicle. The factory speakers were not that great to begin with. The original hood insert panel was not CF so if yours is, then somebody replaced it, in which case the cracks would not be Isuzu's fault.

etlsport
11/02/2006, 09:45 AM
also for the hood, make sure the release latch under the dash is secure and as far towards the drivers seat as possible, the first time i took my dash apart the hood release didnt work when i put it all back together, just didnt tighten it down enough which caused it to move back when i pulled on the latch

1CROSS
11/02/2006, 03:26 PM
Hood insert cracked,both windows not operable,cd player keeps cd's,excessive oil useage.

ScottinMA
11/02/2006, 05:18 PM
And Isuzu is disappearing. My local place "Showcase Isuzu" in Bourne, MA which at one time was one of the largest Isuzu dealerships in MA has vanishied. Now the issue IMHO is getting parts.

mistermg
11/02/2006, 10:04 PM
Own 4 99s.

2 have broken crankshafts.
3 have the window problem
4 have no headlamp gaskets
2 have bad CD changers
FEW places can service trhe transmission properly!
Dealers have minimal parts and no trained techs who care about a 99

The 2 with blown engines/bad crankshafts I purchased that way so dont know if any other troubles besides headlamp gskts,windows and CD
The truck with 44K only has the headlamp gaskets missing but I know the windows will screw up sooner or later.

Isuzu in El Paso, texas are no help and seem to be A##holes. like many Texans!
I have owned 10 Troopers and most never had anything w
rong. Last one sold had 266K and the frame rusted out as it was an Ohio Truck. The Mexicans I sold it to are still running it. these were from 86 to 92s. Seems the quality and engineering was shortcuted in the VX- a Passport engine? HOWEVER< I love my IRONMAN, in spite of the problems and will sell the 44K truck and rebuild one of the blown ones. MY 2 1/2 cents MRMG Less trouble out of my lucas wired 57 MGA!

For a 30 K$ vehicle in 99, I would expect more.
Isuzu USA can forget about me buying any more product!

I may have to go back to dodge! Hope the suits read these!

mistermg
11/02/2006, 10:11 PM
Almost forgot 3 have :confused: the hood release trouble. I think I can remove hood and elongate holes to fix. Spent 4 hours on the good Ironman to fix it, will open if you get out and bang the hood. I was so pissed I dented the hood one day with my fist before I spent the time and got it a little better, but not right. Were all the VXs built on a monday or friday??

mistermg
11/02/2006, 10:36 PM
:( Well I am # 147 on petition DO they care?
after reading others troubles, I remembered I have a few more of the common gripes.
peeling emblems that are very expensive to replace, If you can find them. Shocks leaking. other troubles.

I guess the engineers never drove one at nite, My next mod is a light in the black hole cargo area. I will do the door poper at the same time.

What about the crap spare that may screw up the TOD if used - or am I wrong? I bought another wheel, carry a full size spare off road and keep good tires on the truck at all times.

theheadlamps are scrached and faded and cost more than a room in the trump tower! Gives new meaning to JAP scrap as my pals at the GM factory used to say!!!!!!!!! a love hate relationship and a thin line , between love and hate!

Solitude
11/05/2006, 04:26 PM
:p well I spoke too soon.. yesterday.. the second of 4 spare tire cover keepers.. broke.. oh ya.. also have the fading lights and cracked hood insert,, still love it and will be keeping it alonnnng time.... no one will buy it for what I want out of it.

now for the good stuff.. what a 4wheeler.. pod on a quad is the perfect description

have taken it on a few quad trails and got that arizona pinstriping...

wendysmiling
08/27/2007, 04:03 PM
3 transmissions replaced by 30K miles
6-disc CD player broke at 30K miles (little plastic pieces in there don't stand up to the rough ride and break off) - dealership would not replace
Loose seals around windows (not leaky, but noisy)
Odometer quit @ 75k
Fuel pressure regulator quit. at 75K
Bolts vibrated loose and almost dropped the drive shaft @75K (dealership tightened for free after initially wanting to charge $50.)
Paint coming off the decals.

superman
06/01/2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, that was the first thing to break on my 2000 ironman. First, disc 6 quit, but the others still worked. Then one day the whole damn thing just stopped working. Haven't replaced it yet (starving student). Just the other day had my front right cv axle replaced and 48 hrs later its back in the shop getting replaced again (thank God for the part and labor warranty). I've also had problems with the rubber around the headlights disintegrating and the chrome on the rims peeling. There are times when having a rare unique car works against you (i.e. 4000 total vx's built=extremely expen$ive and hard to find replacement parts). I guess this kind of thing makes me actually appreciate the way GM makes almost all of their cars have interchangeable parts;)

superman
06/01/2009, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah; that reminds me, my hood release now requires someone to pull it while I pry the f*****g hood open. That and the radiator I had to replace last summer. I need to stop reading these forums; they're making me recall all the crap I've fixed and I'm gettin pissed off all over again.

superman
06/01/2009, 10:31 PM
Own 4 99s.

2 have broken crankshafts.
3 have the window problem
4 have no headlamp gaskets
2 have bad CD changers
FEW places can service trhe transmission properly!
Dealers have minimal parts and no trained techs who care about a 99

The 2 with blown engines/bad crankshafts I purchased that way so dont know if any other troubles besides headlamp gskts,windows and CD
The truck with 44K only has the headlamp gaskets missing but I know the windows will screw up sooner or later.

Isuzu in El Paso, texas are no help and seem to be A##holes. like many Texans!
I have owned 10 Troopers and most never had anything w
rong. Last one sold had 266K and the frame rusted out as it was an Ohio Truck. The Mexicans I sold it to are still running it. these were from 86 to 92s. Seems the quality and engineering was shortcuted in the VX- a Passport engine? HOWEVER< I love my IRONMAN, in spite of the problems and will sell the 44K truck and rebuild one of the blown ones. MY 2 1/2 cents MRMG Less trouble out of my lucas wired 57 MGA!

For a 30 K$ vehicle in 99, I would expect more.
Isuzu USA can forget about me buying any more product!

I may have to go back to dodge! Hope the suits read these!
Hey buddy, would you be willing to sell me some small parts off one of the broken ones?? I need that back plastic panel on the back door, a CD changer, a dome light, front bumper, and the shift lever for the tranny. Email me at donknight82@hotmail.com or call at (509) 230-2291. Thanks.

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 05:17 AM
The problem with isuzu is that they never went the extra mile to make a better truck.

The vehicross deserved a better engine than this junkie 3.5L with a more powerfull transmission & T-case.

An 215 hp engine for a 4000 pounds truck is just too weak + all the backward stuff that happens along with

MSHardeman
06/02/2009, 07:40 AM
Superman, I may be able to help you out with ONE of your issues. Once you do pry the hood open there are two rubber bump stops, one on each side of the engine bay, at the front of the VX. I believe that they are on the bulkhead in front of the radiator. If you unscrew those stops so that they become taller (for lack of a better description) they should help to hold the hood up a little so that it doesn't become wedged into the hood latch. Also, try squirting a little grease on the hood latch mechanism to help lube it up.
Worth a try.

mrtew
06/02/2009, 03:39 PM
The problem with isuzu is that they never went the extra mile to make a better truck.
The vehicross deserved a better engine than this junkie 3.5L with a more powerfull transmission & T-case.
An 215 hp engine for a 4000 pounds truck is just too weak + all the backward stuff that happens along with

The VX was the fastest truck sold when it was new except for the Grand Cherokee and I don't think most people have had any problem with their engine or transmission (knock on wood). Of course 18 inch wheels used to be considered unbelievably huge too. How times have changed in the last 10 years and how cars have grown in size and speed and power. Must be that awful GM forcing gas guzzlers on people again.

circmand
06/02/2009, 03:51 PM
12 month 12000 mile warranties. If the car didnt fall apart driving off the lot it blew up when hit. While the Big 3 always could stuff a huge motor in a huge chunk of metal they never really did design a decent looking fine lined automobile. Although the older vettes were pretty hot.

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 04:39 PM
The VX was the fastest truck sold when it was new except for the Grand Cherokee and I don't think most people have had any problem with their engine or transmission (knock on wood). Of course 18 inch wheels used to be considered unbelievably huge too. How times have changed in the last 10 years and how cars have grown in size and speed and power. Must be that awful GM forcing gas guzzlers on people again.

Even though the VX was one of the fastest (so they said) on the road back in 1999 isuzu fail to follow the path almost all manufactures did when the designed a prototype or a concept vehicule which is adding a nice & unique engine at least to impress the media & fans.

The vehicross deserved to run on no less than 290 Hp engine (3,8 or 4.0L) as how the 1rst generation of acura MDX does.

When i say that isuzu f...... us all,especially those who paid $30,000 + back 1999 for a vehicule ranging the price of a luxury vehicule i meant isuzu built this unique vehicule on a cheap manufacturing process & dropped a engine that barely move all that mass of 4000lbs of iron & plus with all the flaws following that such as windows,noon lubricating cylinders,oil burning,no equipment for rear view as how the JDM has,CD junkie changers,no cup holders,no sunroof, etc.

I still love the VX,but when i think about it just makes me feel so mad :mad:

circmand
06/02/2009, 04:51 PM
Even though the VX was one of the fastest (so they said) on the road back in 1999 isuzu fail to follow the path almost all manufactures did when the designed a prototype or a concept vehicule which is adding a nice & unique engine at least to impress the media & fans.

The vehicross deserved to run on no less than 290 Hp engine (3,8 or 4.0L) as how the 1rst generation of acura MDX does.

When i say that isuzu f...... us all,especially those who paid $30,000 + back 1999 for a vehicule ranging the price of a luxury vehicule i meant isuzu built this unique vehicule on a cheap manufacturing process & dropped a engine that barely move all that mass of 4000lbs of iron & plus with all the flaws following that such as windows,noon lubricating cylinders,oil burning,no equipment for rear view as how the JDM has,CD junkie changers,no cup holders,no sunroof, etc.

I still love the VX,but when i think about it just makes me feel so mad :mad:

as much as you claim you will realize there is a huge difference between designing and building a small production run specialty vehicle and a mass market looks likes every other car on the road and shares the parts of every vehicle in the line. The VX is too unique to produce in mass numbers. Even at the small run they had it did not sell well. Therefore all production costs and new parts are shared by the few people who purchased them. A larger engine would have changed weight distribution, Increase torque would require larger and stronger drive train parts. All while adding more weight to the vehicle. I bought my VX new as well. I negotiated what I paid, i took care of my VX and while I have had a few issues windows, rear wheel cylinder leak and a TOD connection needing replace I feel after 7-8 years it has been like a rock and very dependable. BTW I have had my VX over 100mph which is as fast as I want to do. As it is designed as a combo Sports SUV you cant expect Porsche Carrera sports car performance and Toyota Highlander 4 wheel performance with Honda Civic reliability all in one car. To this day I would not trade my VX even up with any of the cars on the road today.

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 06:06 PM
as much as you claim you will realize there is a huge difference between designing and building a small production run specialty vehicle and a mass market looks likes every other car on the road and shares the parts of every vehicle in the line. The VX is too unique to produce in mass numbers. Even at the small run they had it did not sell well. Therefore all production costs and new parts are shared by the few people who purchased them. A larger engine would have changed weight distribution, Increase torque would require larger and stronger drive train parts. All while adding more weight to the vehicle. I bought my VX new as well. I negotiated what I paid, i took care of my VX and while I have had a few issues windows, rear wheel cylinder leak and a TOD connection needing replace I feel after 7-8 years it has been like a rock and very dependable. BTW I have had my VX over 100mph which is as fast as I want to do. As it is designed as a combo Sports SUV you cant expect Porsche Carrera sports car performance and Toyota Highlander 4 wheel performance with Honda Civic reliability all in one car. To this day I would not trade my VX even up with any of the cars on the road today.

I'm well aware of all the above,but it doesn't exempt isuzu from being "lazy" trying to do better on the development of the VX performance.

No body debates the reliability of the VX,as all isuzu's on the road right now it's well built,however isuzu was able to 'add' more to the VX for the amount of money the VX was priced in 1999.

If in order for isuzu to add more to the VX was requiring to add heavier drivetrain parts,better & stronger engine & all the stuff you mentioned i'll be up for that,that's why the grand cherokee was faster yet still heavier then the VX.

I wish i can able to swap this 3.5L for a MDX engine which if fact shares a lot common things.

For $ 30,000 the customer deserved more & that's why the VX wasn't sold well good to the point dealers had to come down with deals to get them outter their lots,that was a shame having in consideration that the VX is a unique vehicule.

circmand
06/03/2009, 07:47 AM
2 hard and fast rules;

1. Never buy the first year model of a vehicle
2. Never pay sticker price