PDA

View Full Version : Boredom

CrnCnn
08/02/2007, 04:44 PM
For the past few months I have been back at a crapy, yet slightly cool schedule. 12 hour days, four on three off then three on four off. Now its nice to have the days off when OT is not mandatory but it is really bad for me at the same time.

Boredom + Mild depression + lack of motivation and funds = Gluttony and heavier depression.

I sit around bored out of my mind but too lazy to do anything but snack all day. I have basically wasted 1g paying for a gym that I have gone to maybe 30 times in the last year. I have wanted to start in a martial art or two and gain some confidence and get healthy but now that I am on a 12 hour schedule and broke, that wont happen. When I get home from my day I just want to eat dinner and go to sleep.

There are many things that are not healthy in my life. The way I eat, my mental status, the lack of ability to talk with my wife about things that really bother me.

I feel like I should have done things different and regret not taking opportunities when they came along. I tend to dwell on these things when I am bored and feel really horrible, I could go to work and keep my mind busy but someone can sit only so long troubleshooting electronics before they go nuts(like this isn’t nuts).

I know that I don’t know any of you truly as individuals but I spend more time here than any where else.

I am not looking for pity or chin up speeches. Sometimes you just need to vent and where better than a place that no one really knows you.

Ldub
08/02/2007, 05:22 PM
I feel ya Bro...been havin' the same ups & downs this summer...not motivated to do $pit, in a job I love, but no bennies, been doing some truck mods etc. but can't even get my lazy azz to clean up the tools & put them away when I'm done. (you should see the passenger side foot well of my VX :rolleyes: ...Oferchristsakes, how can I be this much of a slug ???)

Meh, there's always tomorrow :rolleyes: ...I dunno what to tell ya, I'm a LOT short on motivational BS & I know it wouldn't help anyway.

Ummmm, misery loves company ?

Oh, here's something that might perk ya up a bit...

I was driving home from the GF's this evening, trying to get to the bank before they closed, decided to go down Broadway downtown Fargo.

As it happens, there was a car show lining both sides of the street.

Oh perfect...now I can't park anywhere near the bank, stupid car geeks... :mad: (hey, I was just in a mood...OK ?)

The funny part was, people were turning their attention from the various iron on display & pointing at / taking pictures of the VX as I drove by...

Every once in a while the big guy tosses ya a bone... :cool:

don moore
08/02/2007, 06:00 PM
It’s been 1 year now of no work and getting fat surfing the web for the usual stuff....
My wife has small business and it provides for us.
:rolleyes:
Ok to make it short: LOL
I can’t work till I’m better and fixed... (Car wreck last year ...some guy in a truck T-boned me in my car ...broke my neck) had surgery in June and with Gods help and allot of rest and time I’m now heeling .doing well so far. :)

My lawyer said things look good. $$

So Ill be looking for a VX to fix up and drive...

And since I found this site...My interests and excitement has perked up...
The wife is happy to se me interested in something...And she can see I’m motivated for it.
I'm glad I ran into this great group of people with a passion for sharing the pain and fun and interest in a kool looking PUV....

Now all I need is the $$$ to get here.

Until I get my VX this site will have to be the closest thing to having one.

Chin up

IndianaVX
08/02/2007, 08:58 PM
Boredom + Mild depression + lack of motivation and funds = Gluttony and heavier depression.

my friend,
try not to think about this too much. i get in those ruts too. im self employed, and when i dont have work, i dont have money, or tryin to keep what i got, get bored, so many things to do, dont feel like doing any of em, and it takes money, which im not makin cause im not working, or whatever, blah blah, etc etc.

what i have found is that all the things you mentioned, and that i deal with too, all feed off of each other, which in turn, feeds off of you, your mood, relationships etc....which then feeds the depression, etc...the vicious circle....

so, in your case, or what i end up doing, i would try to eliminate one of em, in your, and my case, the motivation. there are times when the nike slogan just makes sense.....JUST DO IT....ANYTHING. heck, ive been so bored that i finally have to get up, i go outside and flip some rocks or logs over just to look at some ants, or see if i dont rustle up a snake or something, before long, i meander into doing something else, and by then, i got some endorphins kickin in and im off. then when i come back in, i got something to talk to the wife about, or i drag HER out to look at the snake, or ants or whatever. i know too, that working out gets the endorphins kickin too, gives me better sleep, and just makes me feel better.

it doesnt take money to chat with the wife, or look at ants, etc, so in doing that, im not bored anymore for the moment, (eliminated two of em) feel good about getting off my arse and doing SOMETHING......(little victory, depression doent have as much to feed on after activity) am i makin sense? i dont know, its just what i do. things will get better.

dont beat yourself up, just take things one at a tme, one foot infront of the other, youll get somewhere or something done when you do!!:)
and as usual, ill be prayin for ya!

ZEUS
08/03/2007, 06:47 AM
I went through all that unmotivated depression crap for several years before I finally snapped out of it. It is a really strange feeling - it's like you are more motivated to dig yourself deeper into a pit of unworthiness rather than to climb out of it. The deeper you go, the longer the climb to get out... then you justify the power it has over you and you say you will be that much stronger when you finally climb out because of how much more effort it required to go that much further. You test yourself and force yourself to believe it is for the best. You keep pushing lower and lower until you finally can't see the light at the top of the pit... You won't scream for help to the ones you love most because you feel like you would be a burden in their lives... you instinctively feel the need to protect them and you ultimately feel trapped and alone.

That is how it went for me anyway. I went a LONG way before hitting bottom! The scary thing is... I think I was right; the further down I went, the stronger it made me in the long run. That, or I was overcome by a creature of the dark that will never leave me... BUHAHAHAHAHA... shrug.

Not that you want advice, but the best advice I could give is to lean on your wife when you need her the most. The difficult times are actually less of a burden on her AND you when you face them together openly. Of course, I have been single my whole life sooo...:rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
08/03/2007, 07:21 AM
Clint. I am 100% with you brother. Lets get together AND DO SOME STUFF. This weekend my mother-in-law is in town, but sometime soon I really want to get down to the Yosemite area and do some camping and snake/salamander hunting. I just gotta find a rubber boa and some salamanders (but not to eat, Ldub :) ). I also want to canoe some more. So lets make some plans!

Another thing that I want to seriously engage in, is some of my short film ideas, and I NEED people to help me out. Back in Chicago, I had a lot more friends who were into it. And if you are willing to act a little crazy and put yourself into a somewhat uncomfortable position for a few hours on the weekend, and you like movies, than let's talk! I am trying to recruit people that might be interested in working on some of my ideas, and some of theirs also, cause its a blast! I really wish I could get a fleet of VXes together for a few scenes also....so if you got any movie ideas, lets here em!

Anyway, I feel the same way about eating and getting fat. You described to the T my day to day life. Wake up, work, come home, stuff face, drink beer, go to sleep. Both the wife and I have a membership at Anytime Fitness. I've probably been there 10 times since we enrolled last December. That is pathetic. I also get HELLA depressed about not doing the things I want to do. And yes, sometimes it is hard to talk to the wife about it, because more often than not, her idea of fun is quite a bit different than mine. I mean, we do share a lot of common interests, but she really has no desire to look for snakes, or go shooting in the desert or make movies.

Anyway, we WILL get together and hang out soon.

Bart

Techy-D
08/03/2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, we're here, "we're listening". I believe that just talking about things makes a difference. So, hope we did our part.

Added Bonus: I'd agree about talking to the wife (Not that I know you guys, but she should be your "Goto Girl" when things are pulling ya down - We'll be your "Goto Guys"). I only know this cuz My friends tell me how good it is when they finally work things out with their wives and talk about stuff. As for me??? Always been single and actually feeling a number of emotions this past month also. The only woman in my life (in the last 5 or 6 years) that I was thinking could be "The One", is getting married next week to a guy she's only known since like January! I ask her questions and she says "yeah, that bothers me also,..." Yet, she's getting married???????????????????? :(
Hummm... On the positive side, I trust in the Big Guy Upstairs, and I'm sure he's got great plans for me (This is just a temporary feeling).

cyronman
08/03/2007, 04:18 PM
Dude,

I know it must be blazing in Reno this summer, but sunshine, fresh air and a little sweat always makes me feel better.
I've had some really bad days myself since being back from Iraq, but like Zues said you just gotta snap out of it.

I don't know how long you've been feeling lke this, but I think a lot of people go through it and some for long periods of time.
I think people go through stages where they wonder/worry about their future (getting older/finances/careers), etc. and it's a lot to process.
That's brave and healthy of you to post these types of feelings up here, but that's what you need to do is let it out somewhere.

Good luck man,

Cy

CrnCnn
08/03/2007, 04:49 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice. I don’t know why I get this way but it sucks. I moved here almost 6 years ago to better myself and my “friends” from Tucson really dropped me for the most part, except for one. I have a hard time making friends and have made a few here but nothing real solid.

I am willing to hang out pretty much whenever Bart , you and I get along well I think. You seem to have a lot of knowledge concerning things that interest me. I always work Sundays unless it’s far enough in advance then I can schedule it off. It depends on what kind of uncomfortable you’re talking about by the way.

Kinda crazy going to work too because I just got employee of the month and some of the people who have called me friend act like I’m some high and mighty jerk off all of the sudden. So I’ts no fun going to work.

Rut Rut Rut, stuck in a Rut.

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
08/04/2007, 10:19 AM
There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.....

The Who

ZEUS
08/04/2007, 10:33 AM
Clint, Bart, Beau... maybe we should set a date for that Elko camping trip - it would be good to look forward to getting away for a bit! It would also instilll some motivation, stepping out of the ho-hum boring norm. Money is tight for me too, man... but we don't want to turn into Jack from "The Shining" - gots to have some play time!!! With Bart's imagination and a few brews and a couple VX's in the desert, I am sure we could come up with some ridiculous short film of some sort (The Hills Have Eyes 3?)! So what say you guys; should we see how many others we can round up for a gun shooting, sanity saving, beer boozing, moving making, VX good time, camping trip? Or just plan on keeping it small? Ideas, schedules?! New thread? Let's do this!

CrnCnn
08/04/2007, 11:48 AM
but we don't want to turn into Jack from "The Shining"

All work and no play makes Clint a dull boy.

I am up for it, think i would like to do my tranny and CV's first but definately up for the trip.

Chopper
08/04/2007, 12:57 PM
Bart! I'll sell you a Rubber Boa...leave the wild ones alone. You should see my Madagascan gecko collection. Ever see those GIANT Japanese salamanders? Back in Pa., twice, I found Hellbenders, near York, in the Susquehanna...big Sallyies. This was more than a few years ago..

Chopper
08/04/2007, 01:05 PM
Mini "Burning Man,'' anyone?

IndianaVX
08/04/2007, 05:51 PM
Mini "Burning Man,'' anyone?

ok, i missed that one, unless i SHOULD be thinking of the zuni doll from Trilogy of terror..........:eek: AYE! AYE! AYE!

YEAH.....HELLBENDERS!!!! very cool:cool:

nfpgasmask
08/06/2007, 07:29 AM
I am willing to hang out pretty much whenever Bart , you and I get along well I think. You seem to have a lot of knowledge concerning things that interest me. I always work Sundays unless it’s far enough in advance then I can schedule it off. It depends on what kind of uncomfortable you’re talking about by the way.

I am talking about the wearing a gas mask and NBC suit, sweating and carrying a rifle kind of uncomfortable. :)

If you want to go shooting soon, lets make a plan. I would like to check out that spot east of Reno sometime.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/06/2007, 07:32 AM
I am 100% down for a nice camping trip meetup. My only issue is that I have like NO vacation time left this year. It really chaps my @ss. But, I would be willing to do a long weekend or something before the end of the year.

I'll see what my schedule is like....

Bart

Clint, Bart, Beau... maybe we should set a date for that Elko camping trip - it would be good to look forward to getting away for a bit! It would also instilll some motivation, stepping out of the ho-hum boring norm. Money is tight for me too, man... but we don't want to turn into Jack from "The Shining" - gots to have some play time!!! With Bart's imagination and a few brews and a couple VX's in the desert, I am sure we could come up with some ridiculous short film of some sort (The Hills Have Eyes 3?)! So what say you guys; should we see how many others we can round up for a gun shooting, sanity saving, beer boozing, moving making, VX good time, camping trip? Or just plan on keeping it small? Ideas, schedules?! New thread? Let's do this!

nfpgasmask
08/06/2007, 07:34 AM
You have Rubber Boas? I have no intentions of capturing or collecting. I simply would like to see them in their habitat and take some nice photos. From what I hear, the best way to find rubber boas is to take night drives along back roads. So I need to get my Hellas mounted soon.

And yeah, Hellbenders are amazing...but I have never seen one in the wild.

Bart

Bart! I'll sell you a Rubber Boa...leave the wild ones alone. You should see my Madagascan gecko collection. Ever see those GIANT Japanese salamanders? Back in Pa., twice, I found Hellbenders, near York, in the Susquehanna...big Sallyies. This was more than a few years ago..

CrnCnn
08/06/2007, 01:18 PM
I am talking about the wearing a gas mask and NBC suit, sweating and carrying a rifle kind of uncomfortable. :)

If you want to go shooting soon, lets make a plan. I would like to check out that spot east of Reno sometime.

Bart
Im down for both, let me know.

nfpgasmask
08/06/2007, 01:48 PM
Sounds good. I will try to give you a call later this week. The mother-in-law is in town until Friday, so I will be pretty swamped until then. And now that I think of it, I really need to buy some 7.62x39....

Bart

Im down for both, let me know.

Chopper
08/06/2007, 02:36 PM
Wait till just before dark, (twilight, call it) just after rain...particularly in the spring, when they're moving around to breed. They come out for the warmth in the asphalt. When we first came to Florida, I moved here with a good sized reptile collection, and was messing around with breeding. In '93, we started "Rephibia" a reptile shop. The biz took off, I aquired different permits and licenses, and in five years, was handling everything from big cats, Lemurs(still got 'em) and Binturangs, to Boas and Crocodile Monitors. I still have Kookaburras in the back yard(the neighbors actually love the crazy calls they make...loudly...like a Tarzan movie. Our thing was always captive breeding...particularly the endangered stuff. We sold very few imports. Now I have stuff in several zoos. In 2002 we sold the biz...it's still running strong, but as more of a pet store these days( the new owner doesn't like the venemous stuff, and has no permits or interest for the exotic guys) I do a certain amount of breeding still. But Flagler Collision is taking up most of my time now. I have a real talent for making hobbies into livings ;) Any animal questions you have, I can probably answer. Who else do you know that has been bitten by 300 species of wildlife and loves them all the more. I've some pretty impressive scars...everywhere :cool: Wayne

CrnCnn
03/12/2008, 09:59 PM
So recently I have been getting down on myself again. I have realized something over the last few months. I grew up with two guys that were brothers. The older brother had friends and we all became kind of a crew, brothers really. I don’t have that since I moved here. It has been really hard not having that group atmosphere to be around like I am used to but I am getting there.

Bart, I still am interested in taking you up on those offers once all your house stuff is handled. I might be able to get that canoe I showed you and that will help me to get out some more.

Justin, look forward to having a few brews with you in Moab. Are you camping in our group area?

The beer statement goes for those of you I will be seeing in Moab, I can’t wait.

I just re-read this thread and already feel better and wanted to thank you all again.

Thanks again

Clint

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Lonelywd_2-1.gif

nfpgasmask
03/12/2008, 10:50 PM
Clint, I'm with you homey. I grew up with two brothers as well, and I miss them more than anybody I left back east. They are actually in Florida, and I really have not spent regular time with them since 1998, which totally sucks.

Anyway, yeah, canoeing, camping, etc etc. Its gonna happen this summer. Its getting warmer, and I am almost done with the house BS (by the way, you free for about 3 hours on March 29th? - I gotta move the big stuff and could use an extra pair of hands! :p).

I have been looking at the Auburn Recreation Area also (about an 1.5 hours west of Reno off I-80) as another possible camping spot I would like to peep. I am still 100% planning on the April trip down to the Mammoth/Mono area.

I also want to go shooting again soon, email me...

Damn, I am a little stressed about the move. I gotta go to bed.

Bart

Ldub
03/13/2008, 06:51 AM
The beer statement goes for those of you I will be seeing in Moab, I can’t wait.

I just re-read this thread and already feel better and wanted to thank you all again.

Thanks again

Clint

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Lonelywd_2-1.gif

You MAY be able to find some interested parties in the vicinity of the Red Rock Lodge...just a guess,:rolleyesg but I truly believe that there may be a libation of choice, or two, hoisted on a nightly basis.:naughty:

ZEUS
03/13/2008, 08:25 AM
Justin, look forward to having a few brews with you in Moab. Are you camping in our group area?

Yeah, I am so down to camp and drink with you guys. Beer bongs and shots anyone?! I just put in for my time off so I will be pulling into Moab the evening of May 11 and leaving for home on the 15.

As for getting down on one's self. I can relate to that lately - I'm not getting out enough anymore... I wonder why. :rolleyes: But Clint! ...Spring time is a coming... blooms, BBQ's, brews, and bikinis! Just those thoughts make any guy feel better - I gots me da spring fever!! I have at least one trip planned for each of the next 5 months and that gives me something to look forward to (I'm leaving for Moab tonight). Plus here is a good trick... I claimed '99' for my taxes of the last 2 weeks and today is pay day (138 hours, over 1/3 are time-and-a-half and it's all tax free) and I'm getting my tax return next week. When I get back from Moab Monday I should have enough moolah to... well let's just say money CAN buy (temporary) happiness... and a lot of parts! :) Chin up man...

Ascinder
03/13/2008, 11:38 AM
I know what you mean Clint, I was going to see if you guys wanted to go out for a light hike on Saturday up at Galena creek, but I heard the storm was going to be destroying our weekend. I have the same problem as you though, it's hard to hang out for me when my schedule changes drastically on a daily basis. I get the same "cabin fever" thing going on too. It's funny because I love to go out and do stuff, but Megan and I are like an old married couple, we tend to stay home and not do much.

Scott Harness
03/13/2008, 12:27 PM
This fall and winter were weird! There was a strange energy covering the planet(at least my part of it). I do massage and energy work, all my clients and just people I talked to were depressed,myself included. I think everybody is realizing what's around the corner. ps or we could be picking up vibes from a dying planet.:eek:

Ascinder
03/13/2008, 12:57 PM
I kind of know what you mean Scott. I just rewatched A River Runs Through It and Legends of the Fall (both Montana movies-where I'm originally from) and the stark, pristine beauty and simplicty they showed (both set around the early 1900's) and the no nonsense, straightforward way of life struck chords in me. It feels like civilization is the one dying to me. I took a trip out Mcdermott, NV earlier in the week, and it's 100% wasteland the whole way there. I got homesick pretty bad and got the feeling you describe too, like stuff just isn't right in the world. It was very surreal and disturbing at the same time.:confused:

LittleBeast
03/13/2008, 01:44 PM
It feels like civilization is the one dying to me. I took a trip out Mcdermott, NV earlier in the week, and it's 100% wasteland the whole way there. I got homesick pretty bad and got the feeling you describe too, like stuff just isn't right in the world. It was very surreal and disturbing at the same time.:confused:

I totally know what you mean in talking about being "homesick" and I think we all can relate. We all have that place in our lives that we really call "home". That one safe heaven where we feel totally at ease and totally at peace. After each track meet I go back to my parents house which is pretty far out in the country in small town Texas, and I can see innumerial stars at night and hear the creek flowing in the backyard and sit in the swing on the back porch or on the tree swing on the oak in the front and just soak in nature and be at peace. To me we all need these times in our lives where we get away from it all and just meditate on life and what is really important to us and to those that we love and hold dear. Some people run away from this home trying to reinvent themselves along the way, some people spend their whole lives trying to remember where their peace comes from, and others seem to be able to find peace and get away from it all no matter where they are. I for one find this peace when I am away from home in prayer and meditation on God's Word. Everyone finds their peace and joy in different ways and I hope and pray that everyone here remembers who they are and where true joy to them really rests. I also hope and pray that WE ALL can find a peace and a joy that does not solely rest on temporary fleeting pleasures in this life but we all find something more meaningful than simply ourselves, but something that lasts longer than simply our 80-100 years here on earth. I believe that this longing to fill this hole inside of us, this desire to live for something larger than just ourselves, and this desire to find real deep meaningful joy is not simply an accident or a random common occurance in all of our lives, but I believe that these common desirings and longings inside of us is the eternity set on the hearts of man that Ecc 3:11 talks about:

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

This is my point of view and I know some of you guys will not agree with me and some of you may, but I have found truth in all of what you guys have said and appreciate the opportunity to be apart of this unique community of VXers.
in Christ,
Ryan

JHarris1385
03/13/2008, 02:09 PM
Go get a woman to keep you busy.....

Scott Harness
03/13/2008, 02:31 PM
80-100 years on earth!! I'll be"home":flame: way before that.:angel::_wtf::flame2: ps How do you quote just a portion of a post?

nfpgasmask
03/13/2008, 02:56 PM
Man, and I thought I was the only one bent on the impending apocalypse! :)

I think I shall quote a little something I wrote in my LJ a few weeks back:

"Most of my childhood free time was spent outside, playing in the woods or knee deep in a pond somewhere. And even in youth, I realized there was something happening to the world that was not right. I probably was not acutely aware of it until I was 11 or 12, but by then I had a pretty firm opinion about mankind, and how we were destroying this planet in massive, irreversible leaps and bounds. It was this point of view that most likely sculpted my personality to some degree.
Over the years, my generally nihilistic attitude and negative outlook on life was always met with a scowl. Whenever I voiced my opinion, or told people how I felt, I was usually blasted for my pessimism and dismissed as some sort of weirdo or outcast. As I was unable to exchange my negative thoughts for a positive outlook on life, I suppose I did become (and still am to some degree) a bit of a weirdo, and certainly an outcast. And for a long time, the knowledge of what we were doing to the Earth kept me fairly melancholy and generally depressed. It is difficult to find a clear path through life, when you know that you as a human are part of the problem, and that apart from a few small things, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop mankind’s lust for power and money, and his lack of will to do what is right before what is convenient. But what kept me going for so long, was the fact that I must have been wrong about what I was thinking, since everyone around me thought I was crazy. I guess, deep down, I still had some shred of hope left. But as I got older, and things only got worse, that shred of hope slowly turned into nothing, and my depression slowly changed into cynicism. In some ways, I just stopped caring and accepted the fact that I am human, and I do human things, and the train will eventually run into a solid, steel reinforced, concrete wall no matter what.
But today, it is a different story. I’m 32 years old now, and it seems like a lot of folks are starting to see things my way, finally. Not only that, but it seems like there are new stories around every corner about how Mother Nature is fighting a loosing battle against mankind’s exponential growth, voracious appetite, and lack of forethought. Perhaps it is because the media caught on? It is not uncommon now to flip on the television and find shows about the end of the world, climate change, global pandemics, apocalyptic wars, and various other doomsday scenarios. I am reading newspaper articles about how the oceans are overfished, and how you really shouldn’t eat more than five pieces of sushi because of the mercury levels. I watch news clips about oil spills, and about the sudden disappearance of honey bees. I read blogs about how some state parks are in danger of having roads cut through them to accommodate urban sprawl. I scan through forum entries about how there is a strange fungus spreading, killing off populations of amphibians around the world. Just last week I read an online news article about whole pods of whales beaching themselves on the east coast, with researchers suspecting it was caused by some military testing of high output sonar from submarines. And another article about how a US lumber company just purchased nearly 100,000 acres of Brazilian rainforest to harvest. I could go on and on.
So you see all the things I have been thinking about since childhood are now coming to light. The dam of pessimism has broken, and the thick, murky waters of doom are flooding the mainstream. And yet, nothing has changed. The politics are still corrupt. The greenback is still the one, true god. And we, as a species continue down a path of destruction, that will inevitably destroy the very systems we depend on to breathe, eat, and thrive on this planet.
I have given a lot of thought to why. What makes us different? Why can we not see past our own mistakes, or at least not chronically repeat the errors of our forefathers? I don’t know what the answer is. But I do know that longevity must play a part. Humans do not live long. Therefore, we only strive to ensure our immediate future stays intact. And by immediate I mean, tomorrow and the next week, possibly next month, but typically not 20 years from now. Most people lack the capacity, and/or the capability to competently plan for their own futures, let alone the futures of their children, and their children’s children. And maybe this is what separates us so distinctly from other living creatures on the planet. We understand our mortality. We know we are going to die. And because of this, our needs for NOW become more demanding. We don’t care or even think about the consequences our automobiles may have on the planet. We just know that right now, we need it to get to work, so that we have money on Friday. And in a nut shell, that is how the whole world works. It’s the simple fact that what we need now will always take precedence over what we need tomorrow. And because of this, Mother Nature’s savings account is nearly tapped out, and soon we are going to be faced with worldwide famine, collapsing economies, more wars, and outright, global strife.
For now, I will just sit back, and enjoy my remaining years. Perhaps, in my lifetime I will see some incredible things transpire. It will be interesting to see how accurate our visions of the future have been. It will be intriguing to watch the human race scramble to turn back time, to reverse the effects of our squandering, and to fail trying. It is apparent to me that we have already gone well past the point of no return. The things we have destroyed in the last 100 years took millenniums to create, and now that they are gone, there is no turning back. But at least now, pessimism is in, and society agrees, we have no future. And fortunately for me, I have some like minded company to share the “end of the world” with. "

As you can see, I was feeling particularly crappy about the state of things that day. But like I said in the last paragraph, at least I have some good, quality people to share thoughts with! I can't wait to hang out with everyone in Moab again! :_beer:

Ascinder, hiking is something I am willing to do, rain or shine, cold or hot. As long as you can put up with how slow and outta shape I am, I'm game. As soon as I am done with this house BS (only a couple more weeks) I will be free to engage in as much walking around in the woods (or desert) as anyone would like. I wouldn't mind exploring some more ghost towns as well. Don't hesitate to call. A regular movie night at my new crib is on the horizon as well...

Bart

PS-I think the three of us are all like old married couples. So when are you and Megan gonna tie the knot anyway? ;)

Chopper
03/13/2008, 03:21 PM
Bart, my Dark minded friend...change is only bad, when you're the one being changed. Lots bigger and badder stuff than humans have rolled at this biosphere, none have managed to stop it. Trilobites had to give way to the crab types. Sucked to be a Trilobite, not so much for the crabs. The Dino's had to die to allow the mammalians to rise....that one took an asteroid, and a bunch o' volcanoes to pull off. 95% of everything had to die. This is nothin'. The caps have melted before.....puts a bunch of water into the air....comes down as snow...heavier than usual, which reflects sunlight, which cools s@#% down.....stuff freezes.....whoops....ice age! Almost everything dies, and we're off again. Be nice to what you love, try not to make a mess, don't eat turtle eggs....an'.....realize, you ( all humans) don't matter any more than a hunk of rock from space to this planet. You'll never kill it. Just yourselves. Wait'll you see the cool stuff on the next turning....bet turtles are still here.

Ascinder
03/13/2008, 03:23 PM
Ascinder, hiking is something I am willing to do, rain or shine, cold or hot. As long as you can put up with how slow and outta shape I am, I'm game.

I am fairly impervious to weather myself, and actually I like to be immersed in the harsher elements('cept heat). I just know most of the time people shy away from anything other than "ideal" outdoors conditions. Truth be told I am still going to go no matter what it looks like outside, so the invitation stands. Megan probably won't go, she's climatically challenged:rolleyes:, but actually, on hiking difficulty scale, you aren't going to find much easier. To call it a walk in the park would be incorrect only in the sense that it is in the woods, not a park. The incline is so slight, it is unnoticeable in most places. I haven't ever gone all the way to the end, but we can try based conditions.

Here's a rundown from trails.com:

Lower Galena Creek Trail Preview: Those who subscribe to the theory that golf is a good walk spoiled might enjoy this hike along Galena Creek. The trail begins in a natural setting of sagebrush scrub and Jeffrey pine forest with thick riparian foliage lining the creek, but all too soon it passes through the manicured grounds and upscale homes of the Montreux Golf and Country Club. Beyond Montreux, the surroundings return to a more natural state before the path disappears in a tangle of thick brush that chokes the banks of the tumbling creek. The trail will ultimately connect two county parks, Callahan and Galena Creek, but it currently dead-ends about a quarter mile below Galena Creek Park. The relatively low elevation makes the trip up Galena Creek a good choice for a spring or fall outing, but the mostly forested route provides enough shade that even a midsummer hike shouldn’t be oppressively hot. A picnic lunch at Callahan Park may provide a fine conclusion to the adventure.

Lemme know when you guys want to meet up if you want to go. I was thinking Saturday morning or afternoon, but I am flexible.

CrnCnn
03/13/2008, 03:59 PM
Bart, I am more than likely free to help move stuff.

If you guys are down for hiking figure out a time and I should probly be there, I need to get outside.

Scott Harness
03/13/2008, 04:36 PM
[/QUOTE]ps How do you quote just a portion of a post?[/QUOTE]Never mind figured it out.I think

nfpgasmask
03/13/2008, 06:29 PM
Bart, my Dark minded friend...change is only bad, when you're the one being changed. Lots bigger and badder stuff than humans have rolled at this biosphere, none have managed to stop it. Trilobites had to give way to the crab types. Sucked to be a Trilobite, not so much for the crabs. The Dino's had to die to allow the mammalians to rise....that one took an asteroid, and a bunch o' volcanoes to pull off. 95% of everything had to die. This is nothin'. The caps have melted before.....puts a bunch of water into the air....comes down as snow...heavier than usual, which reflects sunlight, which cools s@#% down.....stuff freezes.....whoops....ice age! Almost everything dies, and we're off again. Be nice to what you love, try not to make a mess, don't eat turtle eggs....an'.....realize, you ( all humans) don't matter any more than a hunk of rock from space to this planet. You'll never kill it. Just yourselves. Wait'll you see the cool stuff on the next turning....bet turtles are still here.

Oh, I do agree. "Save the planet" should read "Save the human race". The Earth isn't going anywhere...

Bart

nfpgasmask
03/13/2008, 06:34 PM
Ascinder,

I would love to go, but unfortunately this coming weekend is the big pack up. Basically, the next 3 weekends are shot for me. This weekend we pack, the following weekend we prep the new house for the flooring guys, and then the last weekend of March we move. So basically, I'm not making any other plans until all that stuff is in the clear! Soon my friends, soon.

Clint, thanks, I will take you up on the offer and buy you a 12 pack! :)

Scott, you got it, just hit the quote button and make sure you have the quote codes surrounding the areas you want to show up as a quote. :bgwo:

Bart

CrnCnn
03/13/2008, 08:37 PM
Clint, thanks, I will take you up on the offer and buy you a 12 pack! :)

Bart

No need. glad to help. Besides my mind sais have a beer and my fat gut said have a water.

nocturnalVX
03/13/2008, 09:43 PM
You MAY be able to find some interested parties in the vicinity of the Red Rock Lodge...just a guess,:rolleyesg but I truly believe that there may be a libation of choice, or two, hoisted on a nightly basis.:naughty:

I know there are going to be a few wild nights in Moab this year!
:_beer:

No matter what else is going on in our little worlds, there is this AWESOME group of people to push back the gloom that can come from the daily grind. Add a few "adult" beverages to the mix, and you've got a REAL good time. Add a some great days having fun in the desert before the nights of partying, and you've got a way to push the gloom back for months. By the time you start feeling down again, it's time to start planning for next year (and the excitement starts all over)!
:goof:

etlsport
03/13/2008, 11:14 PM
No matter what else is going on in our little worlds, there is this AWESOME group of people to push back the gloom that can come from the daily grind. Add a few "adult" beverages to the mix, and you've got a good time.

agreed! i just got back from a couple of bars with a local VXer, a drink after a meet is now bar hopping ever 1-2 weeks and sharing advice on women, cars, computers etc etc etc.. i haven't met a VXer yet i havent liked and met a couple who have become good friends online and around town

CrnCnn
03/14/2008, 06:18 AM
i haven't met a VXer yet i havent liked and met a couple who have become good friends online and around town

I definately agree there. My only two friends here in Reno are Bart and Beau. I have met some VXers I couldnt get to sign up on the the forum, but I still like them.

etlsport
03/14/2008, 06:33 AM
I definately agree there. My only two friends here in Reno are Bart and Beau. I have met some VXers I couldnt get to sign up on the the forum, but I still like them.

yea! id say probably 75% of the time when i go out for a drink or something like that its with a vx owner the craziest part is we are such good friends even though he graduated high school the year i was born!