PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick...

etlsport
07/25/2007, 07:29 PM
I've got an extreme case of "Needs-to-moditis" probably contracted it when i was bit by the infamous vx bug... there is no known cure.. there is no way to subdue its symptoms (compulsive modding)... the only way to make it easier to live with is getting a second job.............

i did it again.. another mod.. lights under the hood.. for when i need to check/fill oil at night or just in case....

supplies...
1 pin switch that closes when the hood is open ($1.50)
1 set of led assemblies (Pilot) from autozone ($30)

1 drill w/ 3/8" drill bit
wire connectors (1 ring, 1 female spade connector)
zip ties
wire strippers (aka a sharp pocket knife)
coat hanger (just makes life easier)

drilled a hole in the small ledge where the hood sits near the battery in the engine bay.. mounted the pin switch there

mounted the lights using supplied 3m adhesive on the ridge facing down just past the hook that holds the hood down, my assemblies stick down about 1" so you have some room to work with if you cant find low profile lights

ran the wires under(over) the insulation attached to the underside of the hood.. when it came out the bottom i used e-tape to attach the wires to he windshield fluid tubes, zip ties work too but i wanted to make sure not to pinch the tubes shut, ran it around with the fluid tubes all the way to the pin switch where i put the female spade connector on the ground (black) wire and connected that to bottom of the pin switch

connected the power red and blue power wires to the positive terminal on the battery using the ring connector (usually there will be just 1 red power wire.. my lights have a red and a blue for different flashing functions, connecting both red and blue to the battery gives me constant on) zip tie/e-tape everything in place.. and voila all done now its like daytime under my hood all the time

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/underhood_light_006.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/underhood_light_006.jpg)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/underhood_light_010.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/underhood_light_010.jpg)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/underhood_light_012.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/underhood_light_012.jpg)

IndianaVX
07/25/2007, 09:11 PM
DUDE,
that is awsome, i have been tinkering with this idea for a while, and looking at lights and what not. and yeah, i need the truck back first, but anyway, great little write up, and awsome mod. a lighted engine bay is such a blessing when you really need it.
good job, brother..........

david

Dino
07/26/2007, 01:26 AM
That is a sweet mod. Very useful when you live out in the boonies like me!

tom4bren
07/26/2007, 04:26 AM
That is a nice mod.

Question is though: did you ever find a fix for your 710 - I mean OIL cap? (sorry, I remembered a stupid blond joke when I read your other thread).

cyronman
07/26/2007, 05:50 AM
nice work man.
those look like they'd work nicely right inside the rear door as well.

etlsport
07/26/2007, 06:01 AM
no solution yet, for now the pipe pliers work so im not pressed to find a solution

cyronman... i was thinking that about the lights in the rear... problem is that the light assemblies are about 1" deep, so they would stick out quite a bit and look kind of awkward imho... pilot does make low profile led bars though.. i think they are 15" for $20 so that would probably work nicely in addition with tones popper kit (which includes the pin switch)

nfpgasmask
07/26/2007, 06:39 AM
Dude, that is freakin awesome. Brilliant idea. I need to do this also. I'm always under the hood checking my oil so this would be sweet for nighttime gas station stops.

Bravo!

Bart

JHarris1385
07/26/2007, 06:40 AM
Yeah great idea. I might try to do it this weekend.

nfpgasmask
07/26/2007, 06:44 AM
I wonder how something like this would work???

Rosco Light Pad (http://www.rosco.com/us/video/litepad.asp)

Bart

etlsport
07/26/2007, 07:00 AM
that couold be cool bart... problem is the operating temp... only up to 85* C.. which translates to about 185* F... my vx regularly runs around 190* during the summer, i dont know what that translates to as far as the engine bay goes... next time i go for a drive ill measure the under hood temp and report back.. the lights i got are made to be mounted in grilles where high temps are common, so i figure they are ok to run in high temps.. so far so good

nfpgasmask
07/26/2007, 07:36 AM
LOL, I didn't even read that. Yeah, my VX is nice and warm under the hood too...

:) Bart

that couold be cool bart... problem is the operating temp... only up to 85* C.. which translates to about 185* F... my vx regularly runs around 190* during the summer, i dont know what that translates to as far as the engine bay goes... next time i go for a drive ill measure the under hood temp and report back.. the lights i got are made to be mounted in grilles where high temps are common, so i figure they are ok to run in high temps.. so far so good

Techy-D
07/26/2007, 07:47 AM
There's another usefull idea! I'll stick that in the back of my brain for later.

And just because I'm the kinda guy to do this (The troublemaker that I am ;) ), I can see a possible improvment. What if you put the power to the hood and then mounted the switch in the hood as well? You'd have one hot wire to the hood switch, and then from it to the light all located next to eachother. What do ya think?

etlsport
07/26/2007, 08:36 AM
ok back from a drive... once the vx was at temperature... the radiator hoses where my lights sit when the hood is closed were between 170-185*F... the under side of the hood even before starting up the vx was at 107* just from sitting outside and its not even all that sunny... but after about 10 minutes of driving the under side of the hood was at 145* so i guess it would be okay just barely!

techy... not sure but are you saying i should make the hood my positive?? as soon as hood closed the hood release lever would ground the hood to the rest of the body.. aka sparks and badness... and i dont think u could put a pin switch on the underside of the hood.. not enough depth

Techy-D
07/26/2007, 11:05 AM
Ah, I guess I didn't make that 2 clear. :o
I wasn't saying run a hot to the hood, just to a switch in the hood. I was thinking there may be enough thickness by the hood latch or by the hole for the rod that holds the hood up?? Wow, that sure came out funny when I reread it! :p

etlsport
07/26/2007, 11:12 AM
lol i still dont get it... :confused: what would the switch be for? the lights come on when the hood is up.. turns off when the hood is closed...

Techy-D
07/26/2007, 11:41 AM
I was trying to keep things simple,... Me thinks I didn't suceed. :p
I'll try again. Power wire from battery to a 2 wire switch (mounted by lights in hood), from the other side of switch to lights, then from the lights back to a ground. The pin switch would also work if you ran power to the lights and the other side of the lights to the switch as long as the hood has a good ground. (Wow, did I make this all complicated or what? And It was so simple in my brain! ;) )
My goal was to keep from having a switch down there where it may be in the way.

tom4bren
07/26/2007, 11:46 AM
How about a mercury switch mounted at the light?

The light might come on for a second under hard acceleration (good thing - bad thing - your choice).

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/26/2007, 03:46 PM
lol i still dont get it... :confused: what would the switch be for? the lights come on when the hood is up.. turns off when the hood is closed...

Nice Mod!

But, how can you be sure the light is really off when the hood is closed? Isn't it kind of like your fridge where you just hope the light is out when you close the frigg'in door after a late night snack? LOL...J/K :homer:

Kudo's on a great idea!

etlsport
07/26/2007, 03:54 PM
Nice Mod! But, how can you be sure the light is really off when the hood is closed? Isn't it kind of like your fridge where you just hope the light is out when you close the frigg'in door after a late night snack?
:_thinking :disturbed

Ldub
07/26/2007, 09:26 PM
You ARE sick...& I like it !

Good idea.

circmand
07/27/2007, 04:51 AM
Doh look in the grille slots when the hood is closed. For thr fridge climb inside and shut the door. Or you can drill a whole in it.