PDA

View Full Version : Rear tires/axle misaligned -- a congenital defect or poor bodywork?

Grant Eaton
07/25/2007, 03:43 PM
This past weekend I had four Toyo Proxes S/T 285/60/R18 slapped on the stock rims. These larger tires made plainly obvious an alignment problem on the vehicle -- the rear axle appears to be offset to the right about 2" (using the cladding as a reference point). Has anyone else observed this problem? Any idea as to whether it can be fixed?

The guy at Les Schwab Tires told me that this type of problem is "common for certain models of cars." He cited his own GM Capri (or something like that), saying that most of that model's cars get their axles/tires shifted off normal alignment within 2 years.

My VX was in a very bad $13,000 driver-side T-bone crash about 3 years ago, so it's possible that the bodyshop didn't do a good job and that this problem I noticed was actually stemming from imperfect bodywork. Would some of you folks mind checking your vehicles to see if this problem is congenital from the factory?

EDIT: My VX isn't lifted... Also, I have not adjusted the torsion, although I intend to do so this week to raise it at least 1" inch to accommodate the larger tires.

Click on the pictures to zoom in:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Misaligned_Rear_Tires_or_Axle.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Misaligned_Rear_Tires_or_Axle.JPG)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Misaligned_Rear_Tires_or_Axle_Close-Up_.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Misaligned_Rear_Tires_or_Axle_Close-Up_.JPG)

Chopper
07/25/2007, 03:47 PM
You were glued together poorly after that wreck.

ZEUS
07/25/2007, 04:14 PM
If your VX is lifted, then by the direction of the shift in the axle, I would say it is caused partially by the panhard bar. When the lift is installed the panhard bar drops at one end moving the axle to the right. Not lifted? Can't say for sure then, but maybe the panhard bar is bent...? I don't know if there is a cam adjustment for the panhard bar, but I doubt it... if there is though, it could be slid to the left. Don't know anything, otherwise :confused:

creeg
07/25/2007, 04:17 PM
Well, if you were hit on the drivers side, couldnt the rear suspension be bent and pushed to the passenger side?

Could some suspension in parts in the rear be bent due to the collision?

BBVX
07/25/2007, 04:24 PM
Hey Grant,

Are you lifted?

Even if you're not, I still don't think it's a really big deal.

I'll try to make this short. :) For all intents and purposes, there are three bars attached to the frame that hold your rear axle in place. Two run parallel to the tires, one on either side, and they keep the axle in place front to back. There is one bar, I think it's called the Panhard rod?, that runs parallel to the axle, and it keeps the axle from moving side to side.
Without crawling under there, I don't remember if it's adjustable or not. It looks like yours is a little short. Mine was the same way after I bent it offroad, the axle was misaligned, and the driveshaft vibrated like crazy. You can find a lot of posts on 'vibration while coasting' and things like that.
If you're not experiencing any noise or handling problems, I would just leave it. If you want to replace it, which is really easy (2 bolts), I think the dealer quoted me about $340. Better to get it from someone parting out here on the board.

Hope this helps.

Brian

BBVX
07/25/2007, 04:25 PM
Zeus beat me to it. :D

Grant Eaton
07/25/2007, 05:02 PM
My VX isn't lifted... Also, I have not adjusted the torsion, although I intend to do so this week to raise it at least 1" inch to accommodate the larger tires.

Thanks, Zeus and BBVX, for the information. I'll maybe have the dealer check it out. I have not noticed any drive problems, although the last set of tires (Pirelli 285/55/R18) wore very unevenly in the end (after the July 2004 accident). I don't want the new set to wear unevenly -- although I have had them aligned last week as well. Also, I do notice the 2" shift and it doesn't look good, so if it's not expensive to fix, I think I'll go ahead and just get 'er done.

Or maybe I'll fight with the shop that did the original work in July-August 2004 and see if they'll be square with me and fix it right.

rowhard
07/25/2007, 05:21 PM
Well, on the VX, it's called a 'lateral rod' and it's non-adjustable, sorry Grant. Sound's like you or who ever paid for the body work didn't get their monies worth

johnnyapollo
07/25/2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Grant,

Been a long time - didn't think you still had your proton. Good to hear from you and I hope you troubles get resovled quickly and painlessly.

-- John

WILLY
07/25/2007, 10:30 PM
Well it looks to me like the right tire is wider than the left,i measured it from the split pic on my monitor and the right is wider then the left i dunno maybe im cooky or sumpin. :p

WILLY
07/25/2007, 10:33 PM
I woud look at the numbers on all the tires and make sure they all match and if they do i would measure the tires myself cause u never know these days.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg

etlsport
07/25/2007, 10:34 PM
if u measure the reflectors in the split pic, they are different sizes too.. its just the difference in how close the camera was

JHarris1385
07/25/2007, 11:34 PM
Mine is like this in the front. Always wondered why.

Dino
07/26/2007, 01:29 AM
You were glued together poorly after that wreck.

Agreed. :(

johnnyapollo
07/26/2007, 03:47 AM
On my truck there's a distance descrepancy between the front wheels and the back of the wheel-well -- it's most noticeable when I've got the wheels turned and am washing the truck - been there since day one and my truck has never been hit. You've got to remember that these were pretty much hand-assembled - I don't believe Isuzu went the whole robotic route in assembly as the production numbers didn't justifiy it so there's some variation in measurements. As the parts go on, some could be slightly mis-aligned but as long as the mechanics and esthetics aren't violated, it passes inspection. If the rear-end is slightly to one side it probably doesn't affect the driving or alignment of the truck much - it would be more important in the front as you're cornering, for the two sides to be within a tighter tolerance. In your case the mechanic probably did set the axle assembly slightly to one side - do you notice a difference while driving? A difference in handling? If not, it probably tracks parallel to the length of the car. Just talking out loud.

-- John

ZEUS
07/26/2007, 04:58 AM
Grant, keep in mind, after you lift your VX your axle will shift a little more to the right due to what I stated before. It might be negligible. You might want to double check the clearance between your drivers side tire and the frame and what not. I might even suggest flexing your VX out to see how close the tires come to rubbing when one side is compressed into the wheel well. A simple fix might be to cut the panhard bar in two and sleeve it with a larger diameter tube to lengthen it. <shrug> I would suggest replacing it though, because maybe the tracking issues you had before weren't just from your tires, but were worsened by the axle being slightly askew. Lifting it might also worsen your tracking problem and increase the risk of an accident. This is all just speculation of course but I think it is something to think about. Keep us posted!

CSTYLES
10/17/2007, 07:35 PM
I just did my lift with the help of a couple friends and noticed the same thing, the rear axle has shifted about 2 inches to the right. I've read posts on the Calmini track bar extension and was wondering if that would fix the problem.

OR could I just have someone fab-up an adjustable track bars for me? The $340 for stock one ought to buy a heavy duty custom track bar. Stinkbug is selling the custom lower links for about that.

I took the VX to get an alignment after the lift and they "fixed" my front end alignment by cranking the torsion bars back down. This was after I explained that the reason I needed an alignment was that the truck is now lifted and sitting on bigger tires. I don't want to say where I took it, I'm a little embarrassed (Merchant's).

MrCrowley
10/18/2007, 06:39 AM
CSTYLES, thats just funny. To fix your alignment, they lowered your truck? :rotate:

CSTYLES
10/18/2007, 07:20 AM
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.:(

I asked them if they could work on lifted vehicles, they said no problem. The guy was too busy looking at a computer monitor to realize that he was completely frustrating my purpose. Needless to say I didn't pay for a thing, just had him put it back and drove home. Kind of made marking the bolt and counting out each turn on the t-bars pointless. I now have no frame of reference. I read that the height should be 37.5" from the ground to the highest point on the cladding for each wheel well. I am between 37" and 38" all around (wasn't a level surface where I measured last night). I guess I should have the suspension all figured out before I take it to a shop that actually knows how to align the front end...

tom4bren
10/18/2007, 09:41 AM
CSTYLES,

If your ever down around Fredericksburg, there is a great front end shop just down the road from me. They wouldn't touch the CV repair job for me but aligned the front end after & did a great job. They also did a great job on my TLC after a 'friend' accidentally took it 4 wheeling through a drainage ditch & FUBAR'd the alignment. Let me know if you're interested in contacting them.

CSTYLES
11/10/2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Tom, I got the info. I always forget to check the PM folder:rolleyes:

My concern is that the truck starts to wobble at 30mph, so I would not want to drive at highway speeds. The tire shop did adjust the tow for me, but for the camber and caster there are shims involved right?

My question to anyone who has done an alignment on their lifted truck, what parts do I need? I don't want any surprises when I do get it to the shop, I would like to reduce my overall wait time.

For the rear axle, I'm looking for an adjustable track bar or a drop bracket (besides the Calmini one) to correct the "shift." I imagine it will have to be a custom job.

tom4bren
11/03/2008, 12:06 PM
Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread but ...

Our Proton has the Calmini lift on the rear & the axle is centered. I was considering having a freind fab up the panhard rod bracket that is on mine & isn't on CSTYLES. If it fixes his alignment problem, I'll see how much he would charge to make more. Thoughts?

BTW - indications are that Calmini does not sell the brackets seperately - only the entire lift kit.

Tom