PDA

View Full Version : Cladding - The FINAL solution?

Whaleboy
07/24/2007, 04:50 PM
Like many of my VX brethren, I too search for a real solution to the faded cladding problem. Being an owner of 3 VX's, the problem becomes quite the issue especially on the '99.

Going to a paintshop for a solution makes me worried about the adhesion factor. I'd like to believe the cladding can still be useful for what it was designed for - scratched and dented without obvious visual indication. I don't like the option of spraying liner on it either.

So I looked up to see what the current solution for Chevy Avalanche owners is (who experienced the same problems we do with their cladding), and came across this on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Avalanche

"...Customer reaction to this problem resulted in General Motors agreeing to a one time treatment of a product called ArmorDillo. This product would temporarily restore the cladding for a period of about 6 months. After that it would wear off then need to be re-applied. Realizing this was not a permanent solution GM together with Gatorback Coatings developed a coating that could be applied to the cladding to restore it to a like new shine. This product was designed to etch into the plastic and bond a new layer of tinted acrylic over the faded plastic..."

Behold.
http://www.gatorbackcoatings.com/application-demo.htm

So who's gonna jump first? :)

nfpgasmask
07/24/2007, 07:41 PM
That's pretty cool, and it certainly looks good. Do you think the 99s have more issues with faded cladding than the later VXes? Or do you think it is simply and issue of age?

Bart

VCAMILO
07/24/2007, 09:26 PM
I think I will be trying this as soon as I re-paint my VX neon green or perhaps orange like the new GTI color orange. So, Im thinking 2-3 months... :)

Knigh7s
07/24/2007, 09:28 PM
Wow, once I get the extra cash. I think I will be doing this... for sure!

The other solutions here on the forums just wont cut it here. They attract dust and sand like magnets!

WyrreJ
07/25/2007, 02:26 AM
I think I will be trying this as soon as I re-paint my VX neon green or perhaps orange like the new GTI color orange.

Dude, green and orange stripes! Diagonal.

Ldub
07/25/2007, 05:11 AM
Dude, green and orange stripes! Diagonal.

Sorry for the thread jack but... :rolleyes:

Since you mentioned green/orange, I always thoughs this paint scheme would look good on my VX.(without all the flash)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/RMZDA3.jpg

circmand
07/25/2007, 05:35 AM
What looks good on small car does not always translate to a larger vehicle.

Y33TREKker
07/25/2007, 05:35 AM
I wonder if ArmorDillo is very similar to Krylon Fusion spraypaint. Fusion is supposed to chemically fuse to plastics too. I don't recall ever seeing a comparable color match to our cladding though, and would also be curious whether a similar Anti Fuel-Staining Topcoat product would be available.

biju
07/25/2007, 05:52 AM
good find!

-biju.

creeg
07/25/2007, 10:33 AM
I wonder if ArmorDillo is very similar to Krylon Fusion spraypaint. Fusion is supposed to chemically fuse to plastics too. I don't recall ever seeing a comparable color match to our cladding though, and would also be curious whether a similar Anti Fuel-Staining Topcoat product would be available.

You could always remove a piece of cladding from the car and test this on the inside, on a part that does not show...

Whaleboy
07/25/2007, 01:36 PM
That's pretty cool, and it certainly looks good. Do you think the 99s have more issues with faded cladding than the later VXes? Or do you think it is simply and issue of age?

Just an issue of age in my particular case. I'm sure the fabrication process on the cladding didn't change during the production of the VX.

rowhard
07/25/2007, 02:33 PM
Whaleboy, nice fine. I contacted them and told them about us and that we have the same issues, so maybe they will come up with a color match for the VX. I also suggest that they contact Moncha, maybe he will let them list their product here.

circmand
07/25/2007, 02:38 PM
I wonder if a match is necesary or if this will allow us to custumize our rides a little further?

JHarris1385
07/25/2007, 03:09 PM
I wonder if a match is necesary or if this will allow us to custumize our rides a little further?

True. I like that idea

Chopper
07/25/2007, 03:35 PM
I think I will be trying this as soon as I re-paint my VX neon green or perhaps orange like the new GTI color orange. So, Im thinking 2-3 months... :)
Do it brother! I want one to go psycho on too.

Chopper
07/25/2007, 03:43 PM
I got a better idea... go to the U pull it, and grab a hunk of Avalanche, or Rav4 that is real nasty, and test fly this stuff first. I'd love an alternative to what I do now. Rhino Liner is a permanent (and heavy) option, that will take a licking.

creeg
07/25/2007, 04:20 PM
I got a better idea... go to the U pull it, and grab a hunk of Avalanche, or Rav4 that is real nasty, and test fly this stuff first. I'd love an alternative to what I do now. Rhino Liner is a permanent (and heavy) option, that will take a licking.

Does anyone know for SURE that the Avalanche and Rav4 parts are made of EXACTLY the same plastic?

rowhard
07/25/2007, 05:12 PM
Thats why I contacted them to let them know who we are, what we have. Let's hope they want to do some business with us. As far as color's, looks like all they offer is: Light, Medium, Dark Grey and Black

Grand_Canyon_VXer
07/26/2007, 05:50 AM
I don't like the option of spraying liner on it either.

What are the negatives of the spray liner? You don't like the look or is there something more to it?

I think this is my next mod....

ZEUS
07/26/2007, 06:46 AM
Hey Whaleboy, sorry for the thread jack but I have some questions about your headlight mod - could you clean out your mailbox so I can send you some questions or do you have a thread on it somewhere I could glance at? Thanks.

Chopper
07/26/2007, 01:21 PM
The only negatives I can think of with spray on, is the weight...the rubbery texture is a matter of personal taste. It will stick forever, and it'll turn back a pretty good sized rock or stick.

rowhard
07/29/2007, 02:49 PM
Whaleboy, nice fine. I contacted them and told them about us and that we have the same issues, so maybe they will come up with a color match for the VX. I also suggest that they contact Moncha, maybe he will let them list their product here.
Just received a email from them on the VX in Boca Raton, Fl (anyone we know) that they just did. The color they used is dark grey which he said was a perfect match for our cladding for those of us that want to maintain originality.

Chopper
07/29/2007, 03:17 PM
I'm buying it. Don't know how soon I'll get it on though, because I'm going to pull the cladding off to shoot it. Promise I will put up pictures when I actually get around to putting it on. Might do black...I'll sleep on it,and order tomorrow

rowhard
07/29/2007, 03:23 PM
Hey Chop, how close is that place to you? Be nice to get a first hand opinion other then a sales rep.

As far as pulling the cladding. The way I thought about doing it is to remove the upper hardware them stick a shim between the cladding and the sheet metal to get a space between the 2, but then, I am pretty lazy when you get right down to it.:zzzo:

Chopper
07/29/2007, 03:37 PM
I want the door jambs and edges to match, the only way to do that is shoot it off the truck. Seems they are in Tampa. Depending on where, 3-4.5 hours away.

technocoy
07/30/2007, 09:35 AM
this is an awesome find, can't wait to hear a real experience with it.

The thing i worry about with hitting it with liner is whether it will fade as well... some of my buddies truck beds are lighter gray than my cladding now...

If that's not the case, my brother shoots trucks with it, so I'll just get him to mix me up a low texture batch and go to town.

but i would rather use this stuff if it works well...

rowhard
07/30/2007, 12:53 PM
Be nice to know who that is in Boca Raton, Fl that had it done. Let them be the group tester.

JHarris1385
07/30/2007, 01:02 PM
Volum311 lives there. Try to pm him.

Whaleboy
08/03/2007, 10:03 AM
Zeus, I didn't realize the thread I had originally posted got turned into a HOW-TO. You can find more info about the projectors here

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=9

Hey Whaleboy, sorry for the thread jack but I have some questions about your headlight mod - could you clean out your mailbox so I can send you some questions or do you have a thread on it somewhere I could glance at? Thanks.

Whaleboy
11/06/2007, 11:25 AM
So I guess none of the members have had a chance to try this yet? Think I'm about to make the jump.

rx7tt95
12/04/2007, 08:51 AM
They now have it available in aerosol cans so it should be much easier to apply.

spaceCADETzoom
12/05/2007, 09:08 PM
whaleboy,

off topic...but I just started geeking out. I know there are a couple on this forum that are in the games industry, but Brothers In Arms is, to me, by far some of the most entertaining and enjoyable series in my long history of playing...wish Hell's Highway was out this month. I don't know if you interact with JOhn ANtal at all, but from the outside looking in, he's what "made" BIA. He seems to have had a role in taking BIA away from some mere FPS--the history lessons to the actual real squad maneuver that is still unmatched in anything in the interactive realm. I can't emphasize enough how much his "4 F's" are a breath of fresh air compared to run-and-gun arcade shooters--pretty much the only thing that I see that captures basic Battle Drill I-A: Squad Attack. He may not be in the games industry in the traditional sense (i.e. not a programmer or artist), but it's clear his voice is listened to somewhere over there. Real big fan of his even before his contributions to the medium. He wrote a lot of books (some were in an innovative series of tactical choose-your-own-adventure type books) that I liked. We shared a common profession--I am a current Cavalry officer.

To put in perspective, most of those WWII shooters had some military adviser, many on staff. Call of Duty: Big Red One, for example employed a retired LTC whose name I have heard from other (read: professional, non-game) channels. But it's clear his role didn't allow for inclusion of the historical "extra" files in their game, or the squad maneuver, etc. I love gearbox for setting to make something else. And allowing that input.

Just thought that was neat. And off topic. But if you had COL Antal's ear, if you'd let him know at least one tanker is still nerding out at his work (and kudos to his contributions to demystifying our profession to the lay gamer).

rx7tt95
06/25/2008, 11:31 AM
Just bought four cans of this stuff along with a few cans of cleaner. Will report back when I've done the deed.

Knigh7s
06/25/2008, 05:59 PM
Just bought four cans of this stuff along with a few cans of cleaner. Will report back when I've done the deed.

Thats awsome! Can't wait for the results... btw, what color did you choose?

rx7tt95
06/25/2008, 06:58 PM
I went per their recommendations and purchased the dark gray. Oh, their customer service is awesome too. Shipped today and I should have it no later than Friday. They took the time to answer my questions in the order "comments" box, a first for me. I think they had it boxed up and ready to ship less than two hours after I made the purchase online.

More than likely, I will not pull every panel off. I'll probably do one or two panels a day (or weekend) until it's done.

I plan on doing the hood insert. I'd also like to do the rear spoiler and the rails but I have NO idea how to get those off. It doesn't look fun either.

Will be painting my windshield wipers too, possibly mirrors as well. All are showing their age thanks to the wonderful Florida sun.

Still have to install new shocks, HID lights, 12" subwoofer, new muffler...I'm selling the Evo and RX7 as I don't want to work on cars any longer. Yeah, that plan isn't working so well. Replaced all the tranny/differential fluids two weeks ago, stock airbox last week, four speakers and a new amp the week prior. I know, it's a sickness.

But, I look at it this way. She has 120K on her and needs a bit of TLC to get back into shape. I figure I'll drive it for at least two more years by which point it'll be close to 200K and worth as much as potting soil.

MSHardeman
06/26/2008, 08:07 AM
If you have one of Tone's shop manuals look in there for how to get the roof rails off. I'm starting to get some paint bubbles under my passenger side rail and I looked into how to get them off so I could address the rust. You are absolutely right; they are NO fun to get off as you have to get the headliner out first to get to bolts that hold the rails on. If I'm going to go through that kind of trouble then I'm going to do some other stuff at the same time (dynomat) and probably lay the VX up for a few days.

If you don't have the shop manual you can download it from Tone.

Let us know how the cladding paint works (with pictures :bwgr:).

rx7tt95
06/26/2008, 08:37 AM
Man, I was afraid someone would chime in about how difficult it is to remove them! I think I'll leave them be for the time being as I'm not interested in pulling out the headliner at the moment. I'll look over the manual and see if I can at least get the wing off without tons of effort. I haven't really found a product (Back to Black or that Meguiar's exterior trim, which I use now) that works on the wing/mirrors.

As for the dynamat stuff, check out www.secondskinaudio.com/ I recently used their product on the entire interior of my RX7 and the stuff works wonders. It's also received great reviews and generally ranks higher than anything else out there. Good customer service too.

rx7tt95
06/30/2008, 08:53 AM
The products arrived on Friday but I didn't get a chance to try them as I had a friend from out of town in. Might be a week or two depending on the weather. It's managed to rain every day here for the past three weeks. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

VehiGAZ
06/30/2008, 11:57 AM
As for the dynamat stuff, check out www.secondskinaudio.com/ I recently used their product on the entire interior of my RX7 and the stuff works wonders.

Which of their products did you use? There are a bunch of them...

rx7tt95
07/01/2008, 08:34 PM
The Damplifier or Damplifier Pro. I used the Damplifier as it's easier to mold to complex surfaces.