PDA

View Full Version : CVs for dummies

tom4bren
07/24/2007, 11:36 AM
My inner CVs are shot so I've been trying to get smart about CVs. Just trying to discuss it with any of the shops is a problem because I'm not sure of what to call some of the components. A brief web search got me some of the info that you MAY find interesting.

I compiled it into a pdf file. PM me if you want me to email it to you or tell me how to post it so Y'all can get to it. It talks about how they work, what can go wrong, what the symptoms are and what the repair options are.

The picture shows the components. My Inner Race and Housing are both showing wear.

BTW, one source listed in the pdf file was www.thecvman.com but they couldn't help - they had never heard of a VehiCross.

rowhard
07/24/2007, 01:58 PM
Ask them if they have ever heard of a Isuzu Trooper? Someone here said it (Vehicross) is based on the 2 door model of the Trooper.

The file you put together, maybe think about uploading it here. If you send it to Scott, he certainly would if it's a good write-up

CrnCnn
07/24/2007, 02:10 PM
Ask them if they have ever heard of a Isuzu Trooper? Someone here said it (Vehicross) is based on the 2 door model of the Trooper.

Is the drivetrain the same then? This is my first Isuzu so I know nothing about the interchange capability. I couldnt buy CV's for the trooper and install them?

Chopper
07/24/2007, 03:05 PM
This is essentially a JDM, 2 door Trooper with a body kit, and suspension upgrades.

tom4bren
07/24/2007, 03:08 PM
Rowhard,

It's possible the CVs are the same but I seriously doubt the axles are the same length. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. There doesn't appear to be any cross reference at any of the places I've talked to.

How 'bout that, the pdf uploaded here. I would have sworn it was too big (that's what I get for thinking instead of checking).

The write up has some duplication because I didn't have a chance to edit it properly but the symptoms section I found informative.

tom4bren
07/25/2007, 10:07 AM
Again with the thinking instead of checking. I've made this incredibly harder than it needed to be. Thanks to Swordy I checked at the Auto Zone right around the corner from me and they can have me a set of rebuilds next day for $300. I even get $100 back on core charges which should pay for the install since I'll probably wuss (sp?) out and get the front end shop to do it (too many other projects ongoing: deck, landscape, plumbing ...).

BTW, you can also order online at www.autozone.com

tom4bren
07/26/2007, 06:49 AM
The saga continues. Auto Zone told me on the phone that they were in stock but by the time I made it to the store to order/pay for them, they were out.

I ordered a set of used ones from a place in OK. I'll install them and then use my cores to find a place that can rebuild them.

Y'all are probably getting tired of this thread so I'm not planning on any more posts to it until I actually get the rebuilds in hand.

JHarris1385
07/26/2007, 07:02 AM
Im not tired. So what exactally are your CV issues? I need to get in there and check mine out. What way did you dismantle yours? I need to check my bearings too.

tom4bren
07/26/2007, 11:23 AM
I only checked the inner CVs while I was installing Mechatech boots. I didn't touch the outers.

You can search the threads for the CV boot install or I've attached the process from that thread here in pdf in case you want to save it or print it.

I get a loud clicking sound while decelerating. Typical CV symptoms. If it gets worse while turning then it would more likely by the outers. It hasn't gotten so bad that you can feel it but you can certainly hear it.

JHarris1385
07/26/2007, 11:56 AM
Nice pdf file. Thanks. I have to replace my inner oil seal that is either on the cv side or differintial side of the diff brakets. I have yet to do this repair becuase I filled the differentail with new royal purple and the leaking problem I was haing stopped. But now I have a grinding sound.

Check out this thread.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11472
Those are my toroubles. I just do not know how to go about it. Weather I can reach it this way or do I have to dropp the diff. ON4x4wire.com they said it was easier than stated here.

tom4bren
07/26/2007, 12:22 PM
I haven't gotten in to it that far either. I only took it as far as diassembling the inner CV so the shaft that entered the diff wasn't removed. Sorry I can't be more help.

I've decided that when my used axles arrive, I will take it to a front end shop for the install. Maybe they'll be nice and let me watch/take pictures. I'll ask.

JHarris1385
07/26/2007, 12:43 PM
I wonder how much that repair will be. ON that thread I listed I think someone mentioned near $400 for a similar repair. Also didnt you mention in another post that the $100 you saved doing this would cover the install? I would try to call around and get an estimate first. Or see if there is another VX'er in the area that would like to help you out.

tom4bren
07/27/2007, 09:06 AM
Hi, I'm Tom. I'm the king of procrastinators. If I don't pay someone to do it as soon as the axles arrive it'll be Christmas before I get started. Honesty sucks but I couldn't think of any other excuses quick enough.

Yes, this will be pricey. I'm thinking it will total out at $600-700 but I will end up with a set of rebuilt axles sitting on my shelf for when I (or you) need them.

tom4bren
08/06/2007, 10:18 AM
I got the used axles. Now I don't need them.

The place I was hoping would install them did some research and said they didn't want the job - too involved. The sent me to another place.

The other place doesn't want to do the job either if they have to remove the housing from the inner joint (can't blame them). They will however remanufacture the CVs if they don't have to do any major work to the housings (yeah!!!). I ordered the Mecateks today so maybe will be driving her again this weekend - maybe even tow the SeaDoo to the lake with it.

Anyone want some used axles? I'll probably clean them up & install mecateks before I put them away. PM me if you need them.