PDA

View Full Version : tailpipe residue

Heraclid
05/29/2003, 05:49 PM
I've seen a post or two about black marks on the exhaust pipe but not really sure that's what I'm dealing with. I have about a quarter-inch wide black residue stripe going around the tailpipe at the very end of it. VX is running fine, and doesn't seem to be smoking out the back. Anything to be concerned about or am I being just plain silly?

Moncha
05/29/2003, 09:17 PM
Hydrocarbons, It's from the combustion of fuel.. Unless you have way too much don't worry. What you describe sounds normal.

AlaskaVX
05/30/2003, 11:35 AM
Whats your milage? 1/4" seems like a lot to me, but I don't know much. :) I have 44,000 miles and there is no built up residue.

Heraclid
05/30/2003, 02:15 PM
Almost exactly your mileage... I've only got about 1,000 more than you. It's not that thick (not really build-up per se), but just a little stripe at the end that is about that wide. Could be quite normal, but my last two cars had different tailpipes where this wouldn't show, but as the VX has just a pipe and no aesthetic cover over the end, it shows.

AlaskaVX
05/30/2003, 03:17 PM
I don't think thats bad at all. I thought you were saying that there was a 1/4" thick ring (donut) on the end. I'm sure it's normal. Just went out and checked mine and there is no visible ring.

Navigator
05/31/2003, 07:11 PM
I see similar residue on mine, it's no big deal, the end result of burning 20 gallons of gas is bound to leave something behind, heck no emmisions systenm is perfect :D I wash mine at least once between fill ups, so I have no idea how bad it can build up over time, but I do see dirt/carbon on my rag when I wipe of the pipe to reveal the brilliant chrome shine microns beneath.

As long as your VX is running smooth, and you are on trak with your maintenance, I wouldn't worry.

Heraclid
06/01/2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I just got my VX and it's my first vehicle of this type and a lot of this is new to me so I tend to ask some questions that may sound dumb to some of you. Sorry 'bout that, but I'm trying to learn and trying not to ask things I can look up for myself in the archives.

I also wash and vacuum my 'Cross no less than once between fill-ups and keep it garaged. The one time so far that I left it out in the driveway for about 30 minutes I got to pick out a bunch of pine needles all in and around the wiper area and had a cat laying on top of it, and all I need is for it to dig those claws into my baby's finish. :)

What I haven't done yet is try to seriously clean up the tailpipe... is yours stock or aftermarket? Mine is stock and it kinda looks like it isn't gonna shine that much even when I clean it. Would be a good thing to try to do this afternoon tough, since it's pouring outside.

Haven't had it long, but I have four concerns already though:

1. the common window problem, but I've never taken a door apart before and don't want to screw things up worse. One thing I don't know yet is if it was ever in the shop for this before, but because the plastic panel is slightly cracked in the corner and it looks like the panel was refitted just slightly wrong (causing the door metal to split if a little), I think it has. So just maybe I can get City Isuzu to get that crack patched up for free.

2. a couple of small dents in the passenger door that I'd like to try to get a paintless repair done on... and what's this I hear about using dry ice for that?

3. another common problem - the CD changer went out after about a week. Tried the reset procedure and everything else I've read people have tried and nothing worked. This one drives me more nuts than anything else does.

4. I hear a bit of a clunking noise, apparently transmission-related, when I slow down to the point I'm almost stopped... seems to happen when the needle hits 5 mph. Not sure if I should be concerned or not on this one.

My VX sounds pretty aggressive when I start it up and at idle... I guess this is normal. Sounds good at least.

WyrreJ
06/01/2003, 02:48 PM
I haven't noticed much in the way of clunking at 5mph, but I think that is the point at which TOD kicks in and starts to send some power to the front wheels too.

Moncha
06/01/2003, 02:59 PM
Replies to...

#1.. Sounds like it may have been taken off. get the crack fixed.

#2 The Dent Doctor's work miracles!

#3 HIt it? Hit it hard and see what happens.

#4 The clunk, unless very lound and excessive is an normal thing for the 4L30E. I think pretty much everyones does this just before coming to a stop..

don't worry about asking questions.. There never is a dumb one.. It's just dumb to not ask...

Heraclid
06/01/2003, 04:41 PM
That's true... my TOD indicator only shows power to the front when I exceed 5 miles per hour, and the sound could be the TOD disengaging. Just seems a little less than smooth and it worries me a bit that I didn't notice this right away when I got it, but if you folks think it's nothing to fret over that's good enough for me.

Heraclid
06/01/2003, 04:46 PM
Oh, sorry... meant to mention the CD changer too. Wasn't too keen on hitting it real hard but I did eventually try that too. What about taking that cover off below the controls and hitting something in there? <shrug> Cash is a bit tight but I'll probably just wait and get a better unit rather than get the same thing from Isuzu again just to have it bite the dust as well.

AlaskaVX
06/02/2003, 11:19 AM
Make sure you hit the eject button first and then wait for the noise that sounds like it is not working right, then hit it hard on the sides with the side of your fist. With my CD player you have to help the CD come out (by hitting it) so maybe try sticking something into the cd inlet and move the CD around. This might work for a couple weeks but then you will most likely have to do it again. Worth a try anyway!

Anita
06/02/2003, 12:16 PM
thats it... press eject button ... try holding it down and hit hard several times on the side. It took me 10 minutes of this to get it to work again. That was a year ago with no problems since.

TimG
06/02/2003, 12:44 PM
The hitting thing works. I hadn't heard it before, but about 8 months ago my CD player started flaking out and wouldn't eject CDs or play them. About 2 weeks later, I ran into a pole while backing up. I hit the pole mostly with the front tire (minor scratch front fender cladding), but it was a very jarring experience. After that the CD player started working fine.

Heraclid
06/02/2003, 05:33 PM
Okay, I'll try it again, but I already have repeatedly. Harder evcer time, too. Nothing yet, and it's almost like there's a metal plate in the way or something when you stick something in there to try to feel out the situation. I know there's not a CD right inside the slot, at least.

Sure wish it would work again. Putting a CD on tape and listening to my music in the VX that way sucks.

Also, if the TOD clunks when decelerating through the 5 mph level, why don't I hear anything when it engages accelerating through 5 mph also?

Heraclid
06/02/2003, 06:04 PM
Nope. Just spent 15 minutes with the damn thing. All it accomplished was making it stop making that sound that it's even trying. Nothing but blinking lights now. That and a sore hand. That's it. Like I'd even want the thing if it started working... why? So it can do this again? I don't think so! "Premium CD changer" my @*$!

Ok, I almost feel better now. :-)