PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light????

VXIRONwoMAN
07/18/2007, 09:49 PM
:confused:
My ABS Light came on tonight. For no reason at all. I don't know what happened? I am so sad. I just fixed the Mode switch and now this... :( Yipes! Help me...!

Dino
07/19/2007, 01:18 AM
Oh there most certainly is a reason. It's probably the control unit. :confused:

When was the last time you needed your ABS? Really??? There is another thread discussing this...

I too have a full time ABS light. Sorry to hear about yours being on.

Ldub
07/19/2007, 04:12 AM
:confused:
My ABS Light came on tonight. For no reason at all. I don't know what happened? I am so sad. I just fixed the Mode switch and now this... :( Yipes! Help me...!

Don't take it so hard little sister...Dino's right, it's not time to panic, people drove cars around in relative safety for DECADES before ABS came along. ;)
This can be fixed at your lesiure, as fundage allows. (check around the salvage yards) Or quickly, by putting a peice of black tape over the warning light. :rolleyes:

Wayne
07/19/2007, 07:11 AM
Agreed....my abs light came on a few months ago due to a bad "hydraulic box" which will cost $2,500 to replace. Luckily ABS is nice to have, but you can certainly survive without it....

circmand
07/19/2007, 07:18 AM
Check out misc for sale I posted the email address of a salvage yard that is parting out a VX you may be able to get what you need their

Anita
07/19/2007, 08:40 AM
Many owners have lived without ABS for years and swear to better control of braking because of it.

When my ABS light came on my mechanic checked the ABS sensors at the wheels as well as the hydraulic module. He found that my hydraulic module went out as well as the truck's ECM partition controlling the ABS. I purchased another ECM and hydraulic module from a low mileage totaled VX :( , saving a ton of dinero. Those parts are crazy expensive!!

djkymar
07/19/2007, 09:02 AM
With my personal expiriense i think the ABS system in my VX is really sensitive because the other day i was driving my VX and i was braking before stop sign and the road was pretty bumpy and i was going 40 so i tryed to brake and my ABS start shooting my brake pedal back so i almost got in accident because of it. Some how i stoped really really close to the car in front of me. So i prefer not to have ABS then have it like that.
Just my 2 cents

VXIRONwoMAN
07/19/2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks all for the support!!! I am just bummed 'cause I fixed the Mode position switch and not even a month later the ABS light comes on... I don't like lights on my dash being on... :( Unless it's when i am using my turn signal or something. Oh well...guess I gotta do what I gotta do...Check the bone yards, 'cause I definitely can't afford $2,500 YIPES!

::letting out a frustrated sigh::

This can be fixed at your lesiure, as fundage allows. (check around the salvage yards) Or quickly, by putting a peice of black tape over the warning light. :rolleyes:

I like this idea! I think that is what I am going to do for the mean time. Thanks Big Brother!

Ldub
07/19/2007, 03:19 PM
Any time... ;)

driver3
07/20/2007, 05:25 AM
Just when I thought I was going to have to troubleshoot my abs light this weekend.... I drove through the rain last night, real heavy rain and guess what... no abs light anymore.. must have been mud on a sensor or something.. WOOHOO!

rowhard
07/20/2007, 08:29 AM
Dino, just wondering. What we discussed last time, wonder if a few panic stops on loose or wet stuff might reset the light? Just a thought.

Dino
07/20/2007, 09:14 AM
Nope. When that light is on, the system is OFF.

VXIRONwoMAN
07/20/2007, 09:30 AM
It seems to have a mind of it's own. I drove around yesterday with everything fine. I went to the grocery store, came back to my VX turned it on and the stupid light is back on again!!! Humph! I was so excited too... Oh well. Maybe it will be in a good mood today and behave. LOL

kelvin
07/20/2007, 09:48 AM
I had an intermittent ABS light and checked the fuse and it went off. it happened again and i pulled the fuse and put it back in and it went off. replaced the fuse and it stayed off. I assume it to be a poor connection due to dirt/oil/etc.

Now i have an interior switch so i can kill the ABS from inside the cab. i got sick of needing to get out of the car and pull the fuse every time i got to my off road destination. ABS does a great job of preventing break lock-ups on pavement. But on dirt you're always slipping. so your ABS will "half-break" you right off a cliff. in dirt you want to lock up and dig in.

sub-note: when trouble shooting your ABS, dont forget the system doesn't reset until you turn the car all the way off and then on again.

rowhard
07/20/2007, 01:42 PM
IronWoman, Not to say this will fix it, but would you try something for me. Go out on a dirt road and when its safe, make some panic stops. MAYBE, just MAYBE, using the ABS controller will help it. Be safe when you do this if you do it. But if you do, let us know the results. Not saying it's going to fix it, but maybe by using the controller it will heal it's self, maybe.

VXIRONwoMAN
07/20/2007, 03:44 PM
I am not sure how soon i can access a dirt road... but if i happened to be near an empty lot with dirt mounds i may give it a try for you. Though my ABS light is on and off as it pleases...

Dino
07/20/2007, 06:37 PM
Try this ...

Pull the plug on the main unit under the hood. It lives on teh passenger side near the firewall, and it has several brake lines going into it. The electrical conector has a safety catch on the side that resembles a t-handle. pull it, and the plug will back itself out of the socket. Push it back in a few times. IF there is a bit of a bad connection there, this might clear it up. Just work it back and forth a few times then make sure it's all the way in and leave it. Take a test drive...

It's that intermitent thing is why I thought I should post this. From a mechanic perspective, that is the FIRST thing I would check. ;)

Grant Eaton
07/25/2007, 03:55 PM
It started in February 2007 and was intermittent -- the light going on and off. Eventually, it started staying on all the time. I suspect that this particular component is a weak link in the VX design. A lot of owners have complained about it.

Did you know that Isuzu issued a recall for the ABS module in one of the Amigos -- 1998, I think? They did. But they didn't issue a recall for the VX. In any case, I've been driving safely without ABS for 6 months, but I intend to get it fixed with junkyard parts soon.

I would caution those who take the attitude that "cars drove fine without ABS for decades and therefore this isn't a problem to worry about" with the following: Driving without ABS can expose you to a lawsuit if your vehicle causes an accident. The plaintiff may assert that you failed to properly maintain your vehicle's factory safety systems, and they could sue you for damages. We live in an era where this safety system is standard on new vehicles. A responsible owner should always maintain every safety system on their vehicle.