PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger vs NOS ...

Inaba
05/29/2003, 10:03 AM
Can anyone explain the inherient advantages and disadvantages of both systems in a VX?

I'm not real clear on what a supercharger does, so perhaps someone can start there... and explain why one system would be preferred over the other (or both?)

Plunking down $3k for a S/C is a fairly big decision, and not one I'm sure I want to go with. Installing and tuning a NOS system would probably be about the same, so it's a toss up.

FeatherFoot
05/29/2003, 04:15 PM
Too much NOS and engine goes KAPOWEEEE!!! among other things.

Too much boost would do the same thing.

Recurring cost of NOS re-fills not to mention the dangers of the NOS bottle exploding. Saw the end of a stationwagon that looked like a bugle after that happened. Steering wheel was blown through the front of the garage into the kitchen and the back gate, garage door and spare tire were wrapped around the brand new Navigator across the street.

I think the final cost of that NOS system was close to $100,000.00.

Your call. reliable speed costs money - How fast do you want to go??

FF

Tone
05/29/2003, 04:38 PM
NOS kits are only around $600 installed for a dry, 100shot unit but the refills can be a hassle. The above mentioned danger is a very remote possiblity that I believe happened when the bottle heater was left on. All new NOS bottles have relief valves built in if the tank gets too hot from sitting in the sun or trunk. But it does leave ice crystals inside for a little while after that happens...

VehiX
05/29/2003, 05:29 PM
Here is one of the dangers of leaving your NOS heater on!!!

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/explosionPic3.jpg

More pics here: http://www.enhancedhealth.com/NOS2.htm

Note to self: Do not leave NOS bottle heater on!!!

I doubt too much boost would cause anything like this to EVER happen, you'd break parts before you BLEW up ;eeky;

deton8r
05/29/2003, 11:31 PM
That guy with the blown up Maxima didn't have the bottle heater wired correctly.

Personally, nitrous scares me. It is very hard on engines/drivetrains in most cases. Most people start out with a reasonable HP boost but end up changing the jets to a point where it becomes harmful to their engines. I wouldn't be surprised if they outlaw nitrous oxide someday. The initial cost appears lower but if you figure in all the bottle fills and accessories like a bottle blanket and purge valve, it costs more than a s/c in the long run. Forced induction, either s/c or turbo, give you power on demand all the time and not just in few second bursts.

Inaba
05/30/2003, 09:29 AM
Forced induction, either s/c or turbo, give you power on demand all the time and not just in few second bursts.

This is exactly what I don't want though. Heat issues aside, I don't want that extra power when I'm slugging through snow or crawling off road. I just want a boost when I'm entering the highway or sitting at a stoplight, which is why I've been thinking of NOS... as well as the aforementioned cost differences.

Although I'm thinking a wet system would be better for control purposes and to keep the engine safe.

Do you have a wet or dry system, Tone? I was thinking of starting with a 50 shot and then moving up to a 75 if the engine can take it. I don't see needing any more than that.

BOARZHEAD
05/30/2003, 11:01 AM
The words Nitrous Oxide is not from a witch's diary.. If done correctly is is as much harm on your engine as adding a gas additive. Dry systems are an easy way and safe way for any car or truck. If you go Wet or fogger systems. Make sure your vehicle can handle it. Cost us up here in AK 115.00 to fill a 15lb tank. A dry system will run you 689.00 from summit racing and a purge kit is around 30.00 but right now nos kits on sale at summit 499.95 for dry and 499.95 for wet. www.summitracing.com Remember don't use aftermarket chips or advanced timing when using the bottle.

FeatherFoot
05/30/2003, 11:07 AM
You are describing the function of a sc with a vacuum controled bypass valve. If you have a high vacuum in the manifold valve opens and recirculates the air. mash on the throttle (open the butterfly) low vacuum, or none, and the valve closes creating boost. - ONLY when you need it.

FF

Inaba
05/31/2003, 01:54 PM
You are describing the function of a sc with a vacuum controled bypass valve. If you have a high vacuum in the manifold valve opens and recirculates the air. mash on the throttle (open the butterfly) low vacuum, or none, and the valve closes creating boost. - ONLY when you need it.

But it's still generating heat (and lots of it) even if it's being bypassed, or does it shut down completely? If it shuts down completely, then you'd have to wait for it to spool up, just like a turbo...

Hotsauce
05/31/2003, 02:24 PM
In many states its very illegal to cross a bridge, or tunnel with a nitrous bottle. cars and trucks are searched at these locations more and more commonly since Sept 11th. If the sign says 'No Propane' better believe it means no nitrous too.

John C.

Inaba
05/31/2003, 08:49 PM
Really? I've never seen that... though it's not something I normally look for. I live in Kansas anyway... not many bridges or stuff out here lol :)

FeatherFoot
06/01/2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Inaba
But it's still generating heat (and lots of it) even if it's being bypassed, or does it shut down completely? If it shuts down completely, then you'd have to wait for it to spool up, just like a turbo...

In bypass mode the sc generates less heat than a powersteering pump. No work being done other than the 1 to 2 hp lost turning the sc. That's not a problem because it only takes about 8 HP to propel the VX at 60 MPH and 8 more to overcome wind and rolling resistance.

If you just want to get away from a light faster or merge with traffic faster the most economical way is to just mash the `loud' pedal a little harder in those instances.

IMHO

FF