PDA

View Full Version : push bar and side steps(nerfbars)

drummysvx
07/17/2007, 06:18 PM
can someone give me some links where to get pushbars and sidestep bars

Tone
07/17/2007, 06:26 PM
Welcome - see my site below.

tom4bren
07/18/2007, 05:30 AM
Careful with the nerf bars. If you are lifted and running big rubber then the tires may rub on the nerfs.

Sorry Tone - you sell really top notch stuff but ...

My tires are hitting the brackets for the nerf bars. I trimmed. I lengthened the ajustment slots. My tires still rub (33x12.50s with a 3" lift). I've worked it out in my mind to add an extra plate to the bracket and trim the bracket some more but work keeps getting in the way & I haven't done it yet. I'll let you know how it all works out ... eventually.

etlsport
07/18/2007, 06:08 AM
tom, you have the vx with the full size spare mounted outside the back door right? iirc the wheels are offset way outside of the wheel well, do you think that is contributing to the rubbing you are experiencing?

tom4bren
07/18/2007, 06:42 AM
Yup & Yup.

They stick way out - but then I like the look. It just means that I have to do more work to make Tone's trick products more trick (I think Webster refers to that as Redneck Engineering).

BTW - we enjoyed our weekend up in your neck of the woods. We visited Eastern State Penetentiary (haunted prison) on Saturday & went to the Franklin Institute (Kink Tut exhibit) on Sunday. Pigged out on sausage pretzels all weekend. Great Weekend.

WormGod
07/18/2007, 06:44 AM
tom, you have the vx with the full size spare mounted outside the back door right? iirc the wheels are offset way outside of the wheel well, do you think that is contributing to the rubbing you are experiencing?

Oh no.... that Proton VX? I remember those pics (if it's the same one). It's no wonder those tires don't rub your tonsils! I think that VX has just been modded over the top a bit and finding any proven gear to work with it is R&D all over again. Pretty sick looking, but still needs a S/C. :p

Tone's gear works near perfect with stock lift and/or slightly larger wheels/tires. God knows, it's been tested to living hell with everyone here. I REALLY want to go with the lower bat work as well, but the salty winters here eat that stuff up and spit it out within the first year (I take off the full brushguard during winter here cause its simply too nice to ruin).

JHarris1385
07/18/2007, 07:01 AM
Oh dear god you got that jerk's Proton, Tom? Looks sick. I tried to talk to the guy and about VX's once and will never attempt again. (he happened to mention, there is thread on it, that he was better than all us here becuase he had a lift, so I let him know I lifted mine for a fourth of the price.)

tom4bren
07/18/2007, 07:41 AM
Sick you say? Them is fightin words buddy.

I didn't do the lift & I didn't choose the wheel/tire combo but I like the look.

The previous owner seemed OK to me but then I was counting out serious $$$ at the time so I guess he would have been nice to me.

BTW, the attached picture was from the ebay listing.

tom4bren
07/18/2007, 07:58 AM
Tone - I'm on my knees begging forgiveness. In no way was I trying to disparage your products. I've been totally impressed by all I've gotten from you & I plan to order more later (push bar). I realize that it is the other mods on my vehicle that is causing my woes.

JHarris1385
07/18/2007, 08:48 AM
Tom -
Sick = awsome. I love the look. There is worries about the weight of that wheel on the back door.

I simply emailed the seller via ebay and complimented his ride and asked him to join this community to share insight and opinions and what not. There is a thread on it somewhere cant locate it though. But his reply was very arrogant, stating that he is superior to us becuase of what the state of now your VX is.

etlsport
07/18/2007, 09:35 AM
hey tom glad you enjoyed your time up here.. i havent made it out the king tut exhibit yet.. a little too much $$ for me, still bet it was pretty cool though, i used to frequent univ of penn's anthropology and archeology museum, fun stuff

sorry to stir up so much about your VX, i figured that guy was long forgotten by now.. guess not oh well.... im torn on the look.. definitely unique.. very aggressive.. but not something i would do to my ride.. then again its not my ride.. so enjoy it! i wanna see some pics of that thing tearing up the trails! good luck getting those step bars moved so they dont rub

tom4bren
07/18/2007, 10:04 AM
The weight of that wheel/tire on the back door is friggin heavy - always careful when opening. All of the latches & stuff seem to be holding up though. I keep checking for metal tearing but he put a quarter inch thick plate inside & out to distribute the weight. Needless to say I won't be purchasing Tone's door popper.

I actually worry more about the load on the bearings. That much offset could cause woes in the long run.

ETL - "i used to frequent univ of penn's anthropology and archeology museum" I guess you're talking about the Mutter (sp?) museum. Been there - done that - loved it (in a morbid sort of way).

I hear that King Tut is sold out for the rest of the exhibit. It was pricey but wifey, I & kids are all mummy freaks so 'had to'. Unfortunately no mummies in the exhibit.

drummysvx
07/18/2007, 08:14 PM
tone
how do I do business with you other than through the internet? I don't have paypal and I won't use a credit card online.

WormGod
07/19/2007, 11:00 AM
I have done mail orders with Tone on occasion some time ago. Check by mail. I am sure he probably does that still but expect delays with out of state check transactions, of course.

Tom, I dont think anyone has issues with the VX, it was the previous owner that apparently was the issue. For the life of me though.... a big old mudder on the tailgate? *sigh* That man was a butcher! You seem like the someone with a bit more care-of-thought so I am sure that VX is in a better home now.

Just don't pull out the sawzall or anything, heh.