PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!!!

Bieredalsace
07/16/2007, 08:02 PM
My VX died on the NYS Thruway 3 days ago, Friday the 13th no less!!!!!!
The dealer GMC (I figured there were so many interchangeable GM parts thats whay I took it there) called today with more rotten news. He can't figure whats wrong and says he feels the engine has gone by the wayside and needs to be replaced.
He says he can't find a reasonable priced used engine and suggested putting in a new one.
Now If I'm not mistaken the VX and Trooper engines are the same.
PLEASE give me some suggestions about replacing the engine.
If anyone has a lead on a good used engine OR should I go for a new? one. How they can find a NEW VX engine beats me!.
Personally I'd like to drop in a 4.2 liter V-6 from a GMC Syclone or Typhoon.
Should fit!!!
PLEASE some one help me!!!!! My phone number is 518-253-2315..call anytime! If I miss your call I'll call you back ASAP.
Thanks to evreyone!!

Ldub
07/16/2007, 09:03 PM
Call that stealership tomorrow & tell him in no uncertain terms that an entire new engine is a diagnosis based on testing/ diagnostic equipment...not A FEELING.
Also, go down there, log his computer on to this site & have him post here why he "feels" you need a new engine.

Bieredalsace
07/16/2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Ldub. I'll tell him I need to know exactly what is wrong.
I'll tell him that I'll find an engine for him.
Aren't I correct about the Trooper an VX engines being the same?

Ldub
07/17/2007, 03:47 AM
www.powerpro2000.com (3.5 Isuzu longblock)

www.rpmrons.com (3.5 Isuzu shortblock)

www.car-part.com (clearing house of salvage yards)

Isuzuparts.com, Isuzuparts.net...there are lots of options & these are just a few. Do a forums search for more. ;)

And yes, any 6VE1 should bolt right in (from a Trooper)

WILLY
07/17/2007, 06:31 AM
I think i would spend the $$$ to have it flatbedded to another shop for a 2nd opinion cause obviously this stealership is trying to rip yet another person off.
what were and are the symptoms?does it turn over when trying to start?did it make any noises when it crapped?and if it turns over does it make any noises?

creeg
07/17/2007, 08:52 AM
I agree with Willy-

Take it somewhere else- it sounds like you went to a GMC dealer and not an Isuzu dealer.

I wouldnt assume that the diagnosis of a dead engine is correct right off the bat. A second opinion could save you a lot of money and at least confirm what is wrong.

Someone in your area has to be able to recommend a reuptable shop that can checkout your VX...

Anyone?

Bieredalsace
07/17/2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks Guys...
First..when the engine crapped out..just before it happened,, there was terrible clicking noise, then a BANG, then nothing. The engine won't turn over so there is nothing to diagnose I guess (according to the GMC dealer). He says the engine is frozen.
He wants $5800 for a used 70K motor plus $2 thou. installation. OR $6200 (maybe $6500, I forget) for a new engine from Japan..PLUS the $2 thou installation.
Thanks to Ldub I found 6 possible engines all under $3 thou. But the problem now is getting them to the GMC dealer...or maybe I should have the car flatbedded to where the engines are.???
I know this sounds STUPID but I never thought to look for an Isuzu dealership in the first place. I haven't seen a new Isuzu anything in years.
I live in Albany, New York. The used engines are in Pa. and Brooklyn NY.
I'll check for any Isuzu dealers and let you know whats going on.
In the meantime I thank you all for your advice.

nfpgasmask
07/17/2007, 10:36 AM
Its an ugly situation for sure. I am still sitting on my Xterra with a blown engine. I was quoted about the same ($8000 for engine and labor). I would certainly explore your options. And I wouldn't have the work done at a dealership, as they will rape you when it comes to cost. I would find a good mechanic who you can trust to do the engine swap. Have your VX towed there and then have the replacement engine shipped there also. If you have the money, I would splurge for a new engine, instead of taking on the risk of a used one.

Either way, its going to be a pricey fix, but it is worth it. Its your VX. Don't give up on it. Good luck.

Bart

creeg
07/17/2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks Guys...
I live in Albany, New York. The used engines are in Pa. and Brooklyn NY.
I'll check for any Isuzu dealers and let you know whats going on.
In the meantime I thank you all for your advice.

check here-
http://www.isuzu.com/dealer_locator.jsp

Im sure you can find a place that will rebuild for a lot less than the dealership, and still give you a warranty. There has to be someone on this forum who knows of a place in your area.

good luck!

Bieredalsace
07/17/2007, 01:38 PM
I wanted to thank you guys for bailing me out. Especially a shout to Ldub for waking me u and giving me so many resources to check into.
I ended up with a 2001 Trooper engine (the numbers match according to the parts yard guy) 43K+on it. Not the least miles but...there was one in Pa. with 17K on it but the guy wouldnt ship out of state.
So bottom line is $3 thou for the motor delivered and $2 thou (Crooks) to put it in. This dealer originally wanted almost $8 thou for the job with a 58K used motor in it. So thanks to you all for your help.

Ldub
07/17/2007, 03:07 PM
Excellent, glad to hear you got the dollar amount down to a do-able level.

This forum is such a great resource, would be nice if the whole "rest of the world" would start every day trying to get along & do your best to help out the other guy. :cool:

creeg
07/17/2007, 03:19 PM
This forum is such a great rescource, would be nice if the whole "rest of the world" would start every day trying to get along & do your best to help out the other guy. :cool:

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) not everyone drives a VX :-)

Bieredalsace
07/17/2007, 07:58 PM
I still think a 4.2liter Syclone V-6 would have been awesome!!
Thanks again