PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple things done this week...

Ldub
07/13/2007, 04:59 PM
Well, I finally got off my fat arse & did some VX stuph in the last week or so...

Mounted & wired the mondo ginormus H-4 hi/lo driving lights up top... :eek:
(affectionately known to oncoming traffic as "Da Blinderz")

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01661.JPG

Also did the rear skid plate thing to clean up my act "back there" :rolleyes:
Many Mahalos to Brother Beej & also Ron (Rudy) @ VX Concepts for this tasty little peice... :cool:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01665.JPG

Might have to pop for some under body LED's & do some "night wheelin" next year @ Moab!

biju
07/13/2007, 06:09 PM
Looks great. Nice work...!

-biju.

IndianaVX
07/13/2007, 06:23 PM
Ldub..

looks great, as usual,.....you gots one fine rig..........congrads on getting somethings done.

ZEUS
07/13/2007, 08:09 PM
Kool beans, Daddy-O! I'm always curious as to what you have up your sleeve. Keep the mods comin'!

Triathlete
07/14/2007, 11:13 AM
Also did the rear skid plate thing to clean up my act "back there"

The rocks are just drooling :_drool: to get a piece of that! :naughty:

ZEUS
07/14/2007, 11:56 AM
My lights for my rack were just delivered! They look just like yours! Only smaller, and oval, and... ok they have light bulbs! They are just a little different than the ones I had on my first rack. The lights aren't mounted yet, just placed up there. I will remove the rack and mounts so I can finally paint them - it's only been a year and a half since I made them - I don't know why there is so much rust! :rolleyes:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/rack_001_resize.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/rack_002_resize.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/rack_003_resize.jpg

Ldub
07/14/2007, 04:55 PM
Lookin' good Zeus, are those Piaa's ? What you gonna use for primer/paint on the brackets ?

Ldub
07/14/2007, 04:58 PM
The rocks are just drooling :_drool: to get a piece of that! :naughty:

Mmmmmm....not so much. I think I'll make time to remove nine 6mm bolts before I let that happen. ;)

ZEUS
07/14/2007, 05:09 PM
Lookin' good Zeus, are those Piaa's ? What you gonna use for primer/paint on the brackets ?

I figure I will use some left over POR-15 I have and then top coat that with something that looks aluminum. I don't think I can perfectly match the roof rails color... got any tips?

Kenny
07/14/2007, 07:59 PM
Good Work.
Nice to see you getting into the ring again.

Given us all incentive to get off 'r arse.

Ldub
07/15/2007, 05:12 AM
I figure I will use some left over POR-15 I have and then top coat that with something that looks aluminum. I don't think I can perfectly match the roof rails color... got any tips?

I'm not familiar with POR-15...is that a sunscreen? :p
I am really impressed with the finish that the Plasti-Kote Bumper Color gives.
I used it yesterday to paint the plastic surrounds on the "blinderz" (they were white). Not flat, not gloss...just right. For sure I'm using this stuff on my hood insert etc.
Thanks to Mark Miller, (pardon me if I got the name wrong) for introducing us all to this stuff !
As long as you have the rack off, might as well paint the roof rails etc. to match the brackets...just a thought.

Ldub
07/15/2007, 05:15 AM

Here's another tip, worth exactly what you paid, maybe less...

Re make the brackets out of aluminium. ;)

Ldub
07/15/2007, 06:24 AM
My lights for my rack were just delivered! They look just like yours! Only smaller, and oval, and... ok they have light bulbs!

Ya know, the more I look @ your pics, the more I think that those ARE just like mine...Piaa?(can't remember model #)
I've got a set of those lurking behind my cladding where the stock running lights used to reside. ;)

ZEUS
07/15/2007, 08:24 AM
I'm not familiar with POR-15...is that a sunscreen? :p
I am really impressed with the finish that the Plasti-Kote Bumper Color gives.
As long as you have the rack off, might as well paint the roof rails etc. to match the brackets...just a thought. ...Re make the brackets out of aluminium.

LOL - no, POR-15 is not a sunscreen! It is a primer/sealer for metal (Paint Over Rust-15) I don't think the 15 is any sort of SPF...? It is great stuff - I used it on my CJ-5 frame when I stripped it down, then I coated it with rubberized undercoating. The coating doesn't take to it real well but paint does. You can order it from Eastwood.

I had thought about painting my mirrors, roof rails, and spoiler with the Plasti-Kote. But I really don't care to spend that much time painting such small parts that don't need repainting. Now making new rack mounts out of aluminum IS something I have been thinking about! By using a torch to anneal the metal, I could definitely shape it around the existing mounts and fine tune after that - the trick is to protect the aluminum surface against marks from hammering and stuff. After it's shaped, I would cover it with a clear bra material or get it anodized to match the rack. See, I have been thinking about it!

You just wanna buy my existing rack mounts, don't ya!? :p

nfpgasmask
07/15/2007, 11:43 AM
Why don't you just paint the roof rack mounts black? Black covers up everything!!! My spoiler and rail covers are black you know, and I don't think the contrast is that distracting...

My roof rack light system is being constructed as we speak also. I can't wait until its done.

Bart

ZEUS
07/15/2007, 12:22 PM
Why don't you just paint the roof rack mounts black? Black covers up everything!!! My spoiler and rail covers are black you know, and I don't think the contrast is that distracting...

My roof rack light system is being constructed as we speak also. I can't wait until its done.

Bart

I don't think I would like the black - your VX is all about the black! I noticed your covers being black, but on mine, I think it would look out of place... cheap and accidental even. At least silver would look intentional and somewhat industrial in comparison.

nfpgasmask
07/15/2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I think a silver color to match your rood rack would do the trick...

Bart

I don't think I would like the black - your VX is all about the black! I noticed your covers being black, but on mine, I think it would look out of place... cheap and accidental even. At least silver would look intentional and somewhat industrial in comparison.

Triathlete
07/15/2007, 04:33 PM
Zues, those lights would look good flush mounted in the front of your rack! Cut holes in the face, put a nice gasket around the hole, mount lights from the back! :thumbup:

ZEUS
07/16/2007, 06:50 AM
It would be so hard to cut a nice oval hole in it though. I have looked at so many different ways to mount them - even looked at the high corners of the hood! It is just easiest to mount them on top of the rack.

creeg
07/16/2007, 09:33 AM
LOL - no, POR-15 is not a sunscreen! It is a primer/sealer for metal (Paint Over Rust-15) I don't think the 15 is any sort of SPF...? It is great stuff - I used it on my CJ-5 frame when I stripped it down, then I coated it with rubberized undercoating. The coating doesn't take to it real well but paint does. You can order it from Eastwood.

I had thought about painting my mirrors, roof rails, and spoiler with the Plasti-Kote. But I really don't care to spend that much time painting such small parts that don't need repainting. Now making new rack mounts out of aluminum IS something I have been thinking about! By using a torch to anneal the metal, I could definitely shape it around the existing mounts and fine tune after that - the trick is to protect the aluminum surface against marks from hammering and stuff. After it's shaped, I would cover it with a clear bra material or get it anodized to match the rack. See, I have been thinking about it!

You just wanna buy my existing rack mounts, don't ya!? :p

I thought the "15" meant that it was good for 15 years?

http://www.por15.com/

Ldub
07/20/2007, 03:11 PM
Well...it's friday & I got started on my hood insert project this week.
My goal is to make the hood scoop functional as an extractor for under hood heat, repair all the little bubbles/blemishes in the paint, coat the underside of the insert to prevent water infiltration, blend in all the edges around the scoop & fang extenders, prime & re-paint with bumper black, & give the whole works a more "industrial" look by omitting all but three of the original insert bolts & replacing them wiith stainless round head allen bolts/washers.(drilled all the way through)
So far, just have all the cutting/drilling done, the underside painted, & a few coats of kitty hair applied.
Will post pics next week after all is said & done. ;)

IndianaVX
07/20/2007, 07:42 PM
cant wait to see what the outcome looks like.......
i really like the fang extenders too.
fun fun fun.......
good luck bud!

circmand
07/23/2007, 05:57 AM
POR 15 is great stuff for painying over rust. It has no SPF and does have a tendency to break down under sunlight. Another club I belong to The Jensen Preservation Society the editor use it on his patio and noticed this effect

Ldub
07/28/2007, 05:41 AM
cant wait to see what the outcome looks like.......
i really like the fang extenders too.
fun fun fun.......
good luck bud!

Well...here ya go. I must say it took a lot longer than I expected & I came away from this endeavor with a whole new level of respect for those in the "body & fender" business. Also, I have no particular aptitude for paint & body filler. :rolleyes:

Before:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00726.JPG

During:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01671.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01674.JPG

After:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01678.JPG

The finish "just ain't right", so consider this a work in progress... :rolleyes:

I've ordered a roll of carbon fiber with the intent of sanding off the paint & bedliner & doing the whole thing over with c/f & epoxy resin...I figure, if I can screw up body filler & paint, I should REALLY be able to make a mess of c/f & resin. :p

IndianaVX
07/28/2007, 10:18 AM
Man, i like it ALOT, and i too love the fang-stenders! i have been eyeballing them since i first got the fox. good work dub. i need to work on a small crack in my insert, but dont know if i got the kahoneies to start grinding on it. i will be watching your c-f experiment with great intrest:eek: . good luck in advance.

Question....did you do any pre scoop temp testing to see how much heat the scoop is taking out of there??

ill end, good work, looks great, there is alot to enjoy when looking at your truck:cool:

ZEUS
07/28/2007, 10:22 PM
I'm likin' it man. :thumbup: Post more pics! I agree the finish is a bit much at first but it doesn't look bad at all. Have you thought about maybe painting it silver? You know, on top of the coating? Since it is a work in progress, maybe try an easy method before trying to get all that coating off. Just an idea...

nfpgasmask
07/29/2007, 07:11 AM
That is vicious, Dub. Nice job!

Bart

Ldub
07/30/2007, 05:35 PM
Question....did you do any pre scoop temp testing to see how much heat the scoop is taking out of there??

Preliminary guesstimates are around 6-8 degrees cooler on the coolant temp.
I drove home today(90+deg.) with the a/c max & the coolant never got above 197. Usually that same set of circumstances would have produced 203-204 deg.(using scan gauge)

I should make a plate to block the air exits & do some testing of a more scientific nature,(same day, same road, same atmospheric conditions, etc.) but that'll be a "back burner" project & prolly not happen yet this sumer. :rolleyes:

Zeus, I'm a little "iffy" on the silver idea...I like the contrast between black (or at least DARK) & silver, but I appreciate any & all ideas. :cool: Besides, the c/f showed up today... :naughty:
But don't nobody be gettin' excited to see it, that may have to wait a while, I've got some prep work to do before the Gilbert meet @ the end of this month. ;)