PDA

View Full Version : I need to know...

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/09/2007, 10:02 AM
Hi gang,

Well I saw my first VX today, and after some mild research online, I found this forum. I must say that I'm truely impressed with the VX, and I think I may have been bitten by the OCD bug again... :p

I haven't felt this much interest for a vehicle since the H2, and I'm still a Hummer nut!

SO ANYWAY... I was hoping you all could tell me some 'tech' stuff about the VX and anything else you see as important. I drive an Acura SLX right now, and I do a little off-roading, so I'd also like to know how the VX does off road. And what is the 'torque on demand' feature or the 'terrain sensing' whatever? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but if you guys like your VX's as much as I suspect, you'll be happy to share your knowledge!

Thanks again, and I'm glad to be here!

etlsport
07/09/2007, 10:12 AM
using the search function you can find answers to almost all of these questions... here are some quick answers though..

vx has...

215 hp
230ft lb of torque
a very still suspension and zippy ride.. handles like a sports car

torque on demand is an awd system of sorts that keeps sends more torque to the front wheels when the rears start to slip, controlled by a computer under the passenger seat and (10 i think) sensors

offroad.. you cant beat a stock vx.. stock vx's with stock tires conquer moab utah every year even when driven by novice off roaders.. there arent quite as many upgrades for a vx as there are say for a jeep.. but for as little as $160 you can lift your vx 3 inches, any higher than that and there is some extensive modding involved (differential drop brackets, cutting of the cladding, heavy duty tie rods, longer brake lines etc) but its all been done... there are a few vxs with 36" tires after extensive mods.. many with 33"

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/09/2007, 10:16 AM
Sweet. Now, obviously it takes an off road machine to make it through MOAB, but how does it do on the streets?

What kind of fuel economy does this guy get, and was it offered in manual, or automatic only? How is the center of gravity as well? (Especially with a three inch lift!)

Thanks, that was pretty helpful!

etlsport
07/09/2007, 10:20 AM
automatic only.. i thought it would bother me.. but it doesnt at all.. my g/f who refuses to drive automatics even enjoys driving the vx because its very responsive... ive driven my vx on road courses and its handled well.. kept up with my buddy in his audi a4 up true mountain roads.. no sweat

most people report gas mileage on average of 15-18mpg.. i usually am at about 17..

heres a photo of a stock vx in moab (i beleive this pic belongs to nocturnalVX)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/508/80nctrnl4.jpg

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/09/2007, 10:28 AM
That's great. Yeah, I REALLY like this thing. Oh man, I feel as though I have forsaken my Hummer brethren... :p

Oh well, the heart wants what the heart wants!

etlsport
07/09/2007, 10:57 AM
yea.. once you drive one i think you will like it even more.. i just went out.. sitting at a light i saw 3 15-18 year old kids that stood and pointed at the vx until i drove off

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/09/2007, 11:04 AM
Being of that age group, I would certainly do the same thing! Haha! I have a weakness for unique SUVs... Oh well, I guess I'll just have to cope with my obsession!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

VehiGAZ
07/09/2007, 11:23 AM
Start saving your bucks now, my friend, and you will be able to buy a VX a lot sooner than an H2! As a single young male, you don't need 4 doors either! One for you, and one for the girl - that's plenty!

As a younger dude, I can understand your H2 enthusiasm. But ask any older guy or woman and they will tell you that ridiculously-sized, overly-brawny vehicles like the H2 are generally for people with ridiculously under-sized personal/personality traits, if you know what I mean. It's capabilities may be enormous, but that's not why people buy them.

creeg
07/09/2007, 11:26 AM
Not to turn you off from the VX, but one thing to keep in mind is that they are rare, so parts (such as some of the plastic cladding/body) are getting a little hard to find.

And there is not a lot of aftermarket mods available, not nearly as much as you can find for a Hummer, thats for sure.

But personally, the scarcity of the vehicle is part of what makes it fun for me.

mdwyer
07/09/2007, 12:52 PM
And there is not a lot of aftermarket mods available.

The mods that ARE out there are well-supported, though, and look to be pretty easy to install. I kind of get the impression that Tone would come over to my house to help me install a supercharger if I asked nicely enough... :-D

As a single young male, you don't need 4 doors either! One for you, and one for the girl - that's plenty!

Dude: Leather seats. 'Nuff said.

If you DO throw some other people in the back seat, they'll probably enjoy the view -- the back seat has a commanding view out the front -- but they've got to be pretty flexible to get into the back seat, and if they are tall, you're going to want to stay on pavement. My friends took exception to being thumped on the head repeatedly...

I got one of the first GC6 Subaru Imprezas when they came to the US. It was cool to have a totally unique looking car. Today, half the cars in the parking lot are Imprezas, now... and I wanted a unique car again. The VX totally fits the bill.

It is very well-behaved on the streets. Plus, I don't think I can say in words how much fun it is on dirt roads. It is gonna take surgery to get the grin off my face from last weekend.

ZEUS
07/09/2007, 03:15 PM
offroad.. you cant beat a stock vx..

:eek: ETLSPORT - with a comment like that, I don't know if I could ever trust anything you would have to say. ;) A stock VX does well offroad, but it is very easy to out do. A stock Rubicon is the best out of the box wheeler out there.

Hummer dude, the VX is a great SUV on road and off. It attracts looks and comments everywhere. Mine is lifted and I can still tear up some corners. The tranny and motor have their issues. The rear axle is stout enough but the CVs up front need supervision. Parts ARE getting harder and harder to come by. The windows in the doors generally need work too.

Chopper
07/09/2007, 03:49 PM
Don't think you are gonna save much on fuel as compared to your uber suv. It's small, but it is thirsty. Also figure on getting two... you're gonna end up wanting one to beat up, and one to keep.

Chopper
07/09/2007, 03:56 PM
Zeus, I just read your post, and you couldn't be more right. We have a H2...you guys have seen it... and I can't honestly say that the VX would go anywhere the H2 couldn't go better (a parking space?) A Rubicon, out of the box, will go places I wouldn't try in the Hummer....a set up Jeep...forget it.

vxDAKINECHICvx
07/09/2007, 04:35 PM
Mod it, offroad it, use it as your daily driver. We all have a vx cause we love it...just be prepared for small problems that CAN be harder to fix as it is so rare. Also, make sure in your search for one that you are very specific as to what you want as far as miles and owners go. You want one that has been well cared for. Good luck.

etlsport
07/09/2007, 05:18 PM
ok ok i get a little carried away with the vx on occasion... i was thinking of that recent post with the offroading comparison where the vx won just about every driving category and still got 2nd place... point is though the vx will without a doubt impress offroad right out of the box

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/09/2007, 06:43 PM
Don't think you are gonna save much on fuel as compared to your uber suv.
I don't own one, I'm just a fan. I haven't the funds at my age... :rolleyes:

Triathlete
07/09/2007, 11:00 PM
I have definately out wheeled an H2...their behemouth size and weight are not to practical on the trail (especially the narrow, rocky trails around here). That and the fact the guy was worried he might scratch his $50,000 vehicle :_crying:
:dance:

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/10/2007, 11:25 AM
I'm gonna try and go see the one for sale near me today.

I'll cross my fingers. :)

VehiGAZ
07/10/2007, 11:49 AM
If it's the bear's ironman in Manchester, that is a fine truck!

Uh, I didn't mean to piss anyone off with my mocking of the H2. I should keep my mouth shut more... sorry.

JHarris1385
07/10/2007, 11:54 AM
You are in my shoes about 5 years ago or so. Lucky for you the VX has dropped in price sometimes since then. Back then for me there were less for sale and all seemed to be right around $15,000 or higher, now you can luck out like Dino on here and get one for $5,000.

I have O/R right next along a stock Rubicon with 33' MTR's. They are capable but the differences are NOT much at ALL out of the box for both.

Triathlete
07/10/2007, 12:19 PM
I have O/R right next along a stock Rubicon with 33' MTR's. They are capable but the differences are NOT much at ALL out of the box for both.

Until the Rubi hits the locker switch! :_wtf:

Oh, and VG don't feel bad about mocking the Hummers...most of the owners deserve it! :bwgy:

MZ-N10
07/10/2007, 01:18 PM
ive had my vx since i was in HS and it is probably one of the flashest cars around. its has a bit of a love hate thing going on. most of my friends like my car other hten its a coupe, it an *** to get in the back and im a little crazy at driving back then.

if u do decided to get one, watch it in college. ive had my car keyed a few times.

JHarris1385
07/10/2007, 01:34 PM
MZ get a passenger seat extension, it will save your life.

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07/12/2007, 01:15 PM
Bummer...
Someone beat me to it. Sold in like 2 days. Oh, well, the search continues.

Chopper
07/12/2007, 02:44 PM
Please, mock away...I do constantly...my wife loves the stupid thing. It pulls the trailers well enough, and as I said, it will climb,swim, and generally bounce over stuff I'd never dream of tossing the Isuzu at...no replacement for torque sometimes. Plus, I've no love in my heart for the beastie, and will drive it accordingly at the slightest provocation :) I've bent it a few times and couldn't care less. The VX on the other hand.... The best thing I can say about the H2 is, the tax situation for some business owners makes the purchase and operation of heavier vehicles, a no brainer. An Accord would cost me more, and do much less in the way of advertising...it does attract attention. (ever see FUH2.com?) Some of it good :rolleyes: