PDA

View Full Version : ))) Just when you think you're a lifer (((

biju
07/05/2007, 02:16 PM
vx'ers have come and gone.
some come back to the fold after a brief affair.
some permanently...

i'm a lifer. but i must admit, there are a few shiny lasses out there that tempt me from time to time. more so lately it would seem...

honestly, sometimes i think about how exciting it is to mod my vx. but after the mods are done I kind of feel like, "meh. what now?" almost as if i'm bored (i know, that sounds terrible... sorry.) then, i get to daydreaming about sportier whips, practical whips and even a regular truck or luxury vehicle... - maybe even something under warranty? (gasp.)

((...and no, the above ^ isn't a big metaphor for my relationships. ha!))

for those who've thought about parting with their vx for various, *eh-hem*, 'greener' pastures... how did you overcome these blasphemous feelings? (besides shock therapy or gratuitous use of pharmaceuticals).

-biju.

Bimati
07/05/2007, 02:44 PM
Beej: Whilst shock therapy is fun for the whole family, the answer for me has always been to keep some sort of alternate project in the garage.

I know you well enough to know that we are very similar (except for your rugged, Marlboro Man type looks).

I MUST mod something...a VX, a bike, a tricycle, a hairdryer.....something.

When you get your fill of the VX, wash her up nice and clean, tuck her in for the night and go cheat on her with another garage project for a while. She'll understand, and when you get back together, the "makeup mods" will be the best ever!

Bim
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/030607_1314a.jpg

Chopper
07/05/2007, 02:57 PM
I get it bad, every few weeks. I get to drive so much stuff at work, and see how it's screwed together, that I can often scratch an itch and usually find a deal breaker in that new, shiny apple. We have 5 cars now, and I can tick off a dozen others on my short list. The other thing is, the cars I truly lust after, are just silly, expensive, useless things...really only suited for track duty, (CLK63 AMG BLACK!) You get the idea. (GT3R) it'll never end. It's as much an addiction as much as Coke, or any other. In short Beej...there is no cure. Just one day at a time.

JHarris1385
07/05/2007, 03:06 PM
Well its the times when people come up the car and ask about it that keeps me in it.

Examples:

Two kids walking into a grocery store this weekend were getting tugged by their mom becuase they were laggin in the street staring at the VX. Saying mommy mommy I bet that spaceship can fly. Can it?

Some skater teenagers came up to me tuesday. And said "Dude I bet that thing can go under water and shi$. It looks like a submarine on wheels."

And my all fav.
Happened a coupld months ago.
I live near and went to school in a farm community school. Graduated with a class of under a 100.

Just imagine an ill toothed, skinny man with a light brown badly cut mullet hair cut. Wearing tight cut off blue jean shorts, cut above the kneed and a peach monster truck tank top.

Well this character stares as I pull up to fill gas, watches as I fill, watches when I go inside to get my $0.59 32oz polar pop, watches as I enter the VX again and as the girl and I discuss how she is freaked out about how she releized him starring at me and the car so much (she thought he was starring because of her being inside, ha). So this guy in the drivers seat then gets in an arguement you can hear with this wife or sister or could be a combo of the two in the passernger seat (who happens to outwieght him by 2.5x). He peels out in his Chevy celebrity only to come to a hault 6ft later and get out of the car, saying "woman I aint gots ta listen to your crap I am going to ask?" Comes to the car and asks the normal "what n day heil is dat thang?" I answer "Its a VehiCROSS. He replies " That is the badest mother facker I have seen in a minute." and leaves.

i doesnt end there. I have seen him twice since, and now he thinks we are friends and follows me into the store talking about anything and everything. So now Iv got this guy twice my age following me around in the gas station.

THAT is what keeps me driving this VX.
Even when my $400 monthly payments chaps my ***** and when it gulps 22 gallons of gas faster than I can drink my polar pop.

I just truely love to pay the price to be different and get reactions like that out of people.

nfpgasmask
07/05/2007, 03:48 PM
Well Biju, I guess this is where you and I definitely differ. I am 100% with you when you say you have the urge to mod stuff. But to me, while the modding is part of the fun, I get an extreme amount of satisfaction in the completion of the project, and my putting it to use. I don't feel bored with my VX, and when it is "done" I can only imagine the feeling I have now, will get even stronger (that feeling being that every time I look at my VX I think to myself, "damn, that sh1t looks mean!")

In your case, you created what I think is the best audio system mod I have ever seen with my own eyes, so how could you not want to keep your VX for many years and enjoy the fruits of your labor? I can safely say that I am about 75% done with the things I would like to do to my VX. And when I am done, I will feel happy and satisfied that my ride is exactly the way I want it, and can do all the things I want it to. And then you just sit back, crack open an ice cold Blue Moon, and revel in your accomplishments and the fact that it is YOURS, and yours alone.

And then there is the simple fact that the VehiCROSS is one of, if not the coolest SUV ever produced. There are loads of vehicles I would love to test out, and possibly own, but not in exchange for my beloved Ebony.

So like Bim said, just take on another project, and enjoy your beautiful, pristine Proton that makes us all jealous when we see it.

After my VX is "done", I will be moving on to a new project (a 1976 Aussie Ford Falcon) which will eventually get finished as well, and will hopefully be a garage mate for my VX for many, many years. After that...the list goes on!

:) Bart

VXIRONwoMAN
07/05/2007, 04:39 PM
Butters...the solution is simple...Go back to Moab!!! then you will realize that you are cooler than everyone else out there...except for the other Vx's with you of course :p It's sporty, it's practical and it's a luxury to drive it!!! Are you convinced yet?

MSHardeman
07/05/2007, 05:14 PM
beej,

I don't have an in depth answer for you. All I know is that EVERY time I look at the VX I get a big smile on my face, and NO other car does that to me. I guess it's love, because I can't image life without it.

Kenny
07/05/2007, 06:26 PM
vx'ers have come and gone.
some come back to the fold after a brief affair.
some permanently...

i'm a lifer. but i must admit, there are a few shiny lasses out there that tempt me from time to time. more so lately it would seem...

honestly, sometimes i think about how exciting it is to mod my vx. but after the mods are done I kind of feel like, "meh. what now?" almost as if i'm bored (i know, that sounds terrible... sorry.) then, i get to daydreaming about sportier whips, practical whips and even a regular truck or luxury vehicle... - maybe even something under warranty? (gasp.)

((...and no, the above ^ isn't a big metaphor for my relationships. ha!))

for those who've thought about parting with their vx for various, *eh-hem*, 'greener' pastures... how did you overcome these blasphemous feelings? (besides shock therapy or gratuitous use of pharmaceuticals).

-biju.
hey you! crazy talker, what's the problem??
keep the VX and go buy your next car...
what? that "money" thing??
go put on some fishnets and stroll the avenue for a few nights... money problem solved!
(uh-oh, I think I hurt my brain picturing that) :disturbed
:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

etlsport
07/05/2007, 06:28 PM
i get that.. the other day i was out at a lot looking at a semi restored '79 camaro that needed a whole of interior work that i was dying to buy.. but wouldve had to sell the vx to get.... but the other day i planned a road trip with a bunch of friends and my other car was elected to drive.. which meant i had to trade my sis my vx for it so she would still have somethin to drive.. which means im without my vx for a whole week! my first thought was.. oh man how can i goo a week without my vx... so yea.. i know shes stayin in my posession for awhile longer..

also after driving my moms 03 accord for a weekend.. i really missed being thrown into the ceiling while driving on bumpy roads... and being able to feel the road through turns.. and sitting up high.. and having a zippy engine.. and having people point and look and turn and ask about it.. and my VX

VehiGAZ
07/05/2007, 06:35 PM
Buy yourself an old Porsche. ;-) Seriously, what everyone's saying is that adding to the collection does not detract from the VX, and in many ways enhances it. When the 928 is in the driveway, I park the VX on the cul-de-sac, and when I drive down the road and see it from this new perspective, shining in the sun, I've been re-realizing what a great-looking ride it is.

Btw, what's all this "sh1t" and "facker" crap all of a sudden?! I've always liked this board because it's always been pretty clean and nicey-nice compared to every other board out there. I'm not worried about little kiddies seeing such coarse language, and I swear like a sailor in everyday conversation - it's just that I've always enjoyed this board for being a bit of a haven from all that.

Just my two cents... (dismount soapbox and ...STICK the landing!)

mdwyer
07/05/2007, 06:54 PM
Well its the times when people come up the car and ask about it that keeps me in it.

Two kids walking into a grocery store this weekend were getting tugged by their mom becuase they were laggin in the street staring at the VX. Saying mommy mommy I bet that spaceship can fly. Can it?

I was driving it home from the dealership, when a kid at the gas station says, "Wow. I've never seen one of those before." I had to reply, "Well, this is only about the third time I've seen one..."

Just this weekend, while coming down out of the mountains, I suprised a pair of mountain bikers. One says, "You scared us!" The other says, "We thought it was a bear!" The first says, "Yeah, a big, yellow bear..."

IndianaVX
07/05/2007, 07:12 PM
Btw, what's all this "sh1t" and "facker" crap all of a sudden?! I've always liked this board because it's always been pretty clean and nicey-nice compared to every other board out there. I'm not worried about little kiddies seeing such coarse language, and I swear like a sailor in everyday conversation - it's just that I've always enjoyed this board for being a bit of a haven from all that.

Gaz.....(and anyone else)
i TOTALLY agree, i have always enjoyed not haveing to read that kind of stuff, i hear enough of it around the job sites, and about everywhere else, that is is really nice to "get away" in our little corner of the world......not picking on JHarris....he was quoteing.

Jharris.....POLAR POPS.....MMM MMMM MMMMMMMMMMM my biggest vice, since we are all friends here, i go thru about 4 on a slow day, each one 32 oz.
i refuse to do the math on that because i hate to think i drink that much soda...

THREAD JACK OVER.....

as far as getting "bored" with the vx.....others have eluded to this also, but go for a couple of months without driving it. ok, dont go that extreme, go a couple of weeks without driving it, go buy a 400.00 pacer, or gremelin, or full size "hooptie" van, drive that, blend in with all the other rides out there, DONT recieve the waves, looks, point at's, kids bouncing up and down in their seats, etc, etc for a while, get to the point where you feel like it was all just a dream, and when you reach that point, raise the garage door, and smmmiiiilllleeee:) its yours, alllllllll yours buah ha ha HA:cool:

biju
07/05/2007, 07:59 PM
thanks all...

however, *please* don't confuse my point - I AM A LIFER. and i know all about the greatness that is the vx. you know i'm sold. after all, i owned two at one point - and would have one (completely restored to new!) in every color if i could... (wouldn't we all?)

i'm stoked on my accomplishments on the vx (and do enjoy em'). and yes, i talk to her every night when locking up the house: "good night baby." "see you tomorrow"... (hahaha... i need help).

honestly, i think bim/vehigaz hit the nail on the head! i need a new project. simple & brilliant answer...

and seeing how my efforts have been 110% geared towards the vx in the last few years, naturally that's where i look to when i need to expend my project 'energies'... it's been my obsession. but i'm a wee bit burned out on vx mods i guess. thus my drifting thoughts...

...new project. hmmmm.... that's it, totally......

ahhhh... gotta love family support. gracias.

-biju.

vxDAKINECHICvx
07/05/2007, 08:33 PM
Well it sounds like to me......... you need a woman. :p

Just jokin'!

So uh just go get yourself a 911 and tear her up during the summer and give your VX the winter lovin'. Throw in a motorcycle and what do you have?! One hella happy garage with indeed a pretty happy man!!

....Thats what I look for in a guy afterall. :p :p

nfpgasmask
07/05/2007, 09:29 PM
Sorry man, I am guilty of using 13375P34K adult language. I just do it cause that is the way I think and talk, and for me to replace sh1t with something like poop is sometimes hard to do. I will try to refrain the future.

Buy yourself an old Porsche. ;-) Seriously, what everyone's saying is that adding to the collection does not detract from the VX, and in many ways enhances it. When the 928 is in the driveway, I park the VX on the cul-de-sac, and when I drive down the road and see it from this new perspective, shining in the sun, I've been re-realizing what a great-looking ride it is.

ZEUS
07/05/2007, 10:04 PM
Anyone care to start a freedom of speech thread? Kidding people... just kidding! :p Thread jack though... I do get a kick out of meeting VXers and hearing them curse - it kind of catches you off guard... and then I get really comfortable and join the Navy!

biju - How about inventing a spill-proof butter packet with a pressure release valve?! That will keep you busy! :rolleyes: Sorry, blame Cece, she brought it up again...

djkymar
07/05/2007, 10:39 PM
well im working at the recon shop and have to drive a bunch of differnt cars every day new, used, very used and kinds like that but not any Yukon denali or full package mitsu can not ever change my mind about my VX. I love my VX to death and no other affordable car will give me the same feeling when im driving my VX.

Ldub
07/06/2007, 05:53 AM
Brother Beej...

I know your head is in the right place, but I'll say it anyway...

WACHOO TALKIN' BOUT WILLIS ??? ;)

Go get yourself a Scion XA or a Cooper Mini, or a Solstice or Honda 2000 whatever....or even a (gasp) Miata. :rolleyes:
Something that gets good mileage & is fun to drive.
Then start modding that to the point of insanity.
Knock out the back wall of your garage & add on another 20 feet.
That ought to keep you busy. :p

VehiGAZ
07/06/2007, 06:21 AM
Bu... I mean Biju, I wish you lived in CT instead of CO, because I might be able to hire you to redo the audio in my 928, which currently consists of a 25Wx4 Alpine cassette headunit (cassette!?! I don't even mess with CDs anymore!!) and maybe 6 of 10 working original speakers (ugh... this is going to cost me!).

WormGod
07/06/2007, 07:40 AM
You ever had this kind of moment.... my personal Ode to The VX....

I arrive home from work, ala daily driver, the Subaru WRX. It comes to rest in the driveway and I exit to get the mail and sneer at the bills that arrived. I realize tomorrow is trash day so I need to go in through the garage bring it out to the curb. I walk back over to the WRX and reach in to the sunvisor and hit the garage door opener. Slowly, the garage door moans into action and rises. An inch at a time. Something outlandish is revealed from ground up as those inches reach higher and higher. A gleaning black piece of machinery begins to take form from it's slumber in that very garage. A beast of sorts, that rests tirelessly, knowing that a beautiful weekend is just a day away and the daily driver known as the WRX will soon be taking a rest in it's place. I gather the trash into the trash cans without removing my eyes from the black entity. The entire trek to the curb, dragging the trashcans, my eyes never leave the sight. Glancing from one body line to another. Taking in all of the alien contours that no such vehicle ever made has ever dared showcase. I pass back by this wonder of the world and close the garage door from the inside. The door inches down with the whine of Craftsman's finest chain driven motor. The darkness grows with every inch and begins to engulf the contents of the garage. One flip of a switch and light shines life into the garage once again. Time passes and I realise I have been standing there in the open doorway into my house from the garage for 5 minutes, staring away at every sexy curve of this vehicle. Soon.... the weekend shall arrive and you shall be unleashed, once again. But for now, the garage is your lair and know that you are spoiled and pampered. Ah, if pride is a sin, you can call me a happy sinner.

Enjoy it while you got it. As fun as the WRX is, it still doesn't top the enjoyment I get out of the VX.

VehiGAZ
07/06/2007, 08:02 AM
Another Btw...

I didn't at all mean to be accusatory about the language issue. I was just taking the opportunity to offer a friendly reminder to keep it clean, since so many of the regulars and lifers here have said they like it that way.

No offense was taken or intended, no feelings were hurt, and everything is cool-and-the-gang. I hope... :-)

George

nfpgasmask
07/06/2007, 08:24 AM
Hey man, I hear ya, and I'm with ya.

I'm difficult to offend, and because of that I sometimes assume others are be the same way. You would probably have to kick me in the jewels, or kick my dog, or key my VX before I actually get pissed off.

Another Btw...

I didn't at all mean to be accusatory about the language issue. I was just taking the opportunity to offer a friendly reminder to keep it clean, since so many of the regulars and lifers here have said they like it that way.

No offense was taken or intended, no feelings were hurt, and everything is cool-and-the-gang. I hope... :-)

George

PHO2GR4
07/06/2007, 10:48 AM
hey you! crazy talker, what's the problem??
keep the VX and go buy your next car...
what? that "money" thing??
go put on some fishnets and stroll the avenue for a few nights... money problem solved!
(uh-oh, I think I hurt my brain picturing that) :disturbed
:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

Kenny's got the right idea. I bought the VX because it was cool, but I also bought a 350Z Roadster because...you got it...it's cool.

I love BOTH of them, and the biggest problem each day is which one to drive! Keep the VX and get another 'project'. Maybe a '66 Mustang, or an old Buick Electra 225 or something. They'll give you a LOT of work! ;-)

Triathlete
07/06/2007, 12:33 PM
Take up a hobby! Nothing like a nice 120 mile bike ride or 25 mile trail run to clear your mind and get you yhinking straight! :dance:

Besides, come next May you'd be sitting at home with your "new" grocery getter doing this.... :_brickwal

Chopper
07/06/2007, 04:24 PM
Beej..........you need a Jeep.....or an old Bronco. Have fun, mod all you want, and appreciate the VX all the more, every time you drive them. About language... I want everyone to speak as they, speak. I abhor censorship in any form. I think we do just fine here. We all know where to put the asterix ****** right?

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/06/2007, 05:34 PM
I'd just like to know your secret....how do you finally decide that your VX is done?????? Everytime I think mine is done, I get more ideas popping into my cranium. Case in point:

I got a good deal on purchasing one of those Jeep Liberty Lightbars on ebay last fall...brand new in box w/shipping for like $185. But, I'm blowing a mental fuse on whether to go forward with installing it or waiting until I get a sun-roof installed first......uggggggggggh.

I second the advice about getting another vehicle to mod...since I've gotten my truck (Ram) I've been busy purchasing Stainless headers and lining up appointments for custom exhaust work plus looking to add a locking diff for the rear and a roll & lock bed cover!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_040.jpg

dietz99vcross
07/07/2007, 05:50 PM
Not to go against the current, but...As with all of us with other projects in the garage (mine is the first new vehicle I ever purchased, a 1987 Buick Grand National) the problems will eventually be what to drive. I enjoy the VX because it is paid for and the mods are relatively minor in cost. But when the GN is finally done won't I be cheating on one or the other. Perhaps a project of the non-transportation type is in line. For me the deck, grill, pool fiasco that I work on in my spare time is all I need to "get away and stoke the fire that burns" and makes me feel OK with the crappy mileage, becuase after all it is still better to get crappy mileage in a cool ride than get cool mileage in a crappy ride.

VXIRONwoMAN
07/07/2007, 05:57 PM
it is still better to get crappy mileage in a cool ride than get cool mileage in a crappy ride.

Well Said!!! A+ I totally agree! Even if it goes up to $10 a gallon I will pay it for my baby...I just might be walking a lot more than driving... ;)

biju
07/16/2007, 08:00 AM
i did it. in the last week i went car shopping. got it out of my system... those shiny new lasses out there aren't all that. i saw first hand how everything out there under 35k blows... :p :p (self admitted vx snob. ha.)

however, looking around still didn't fix the vx mod 'blahs'. honestly, since posting the original thread, i think i was just burned out. time will fix that...

in the meantime, i've decided to dust off the old cannondale mtnbike - strip her of all parts, and rebuild, Rebuild, REBUILD - to bring her back to life. i used to be huge into mtnbikes in the mid/late 90's. fixing up the Cdale will be a nice project - after all I could use something to help step up my health game...

-biju.

nfpgasmask
07/16/2007, 08:17 AM
Glad to hear you're sticking to your VX, Biju. It wouldn't be the same next year without you "Woo-Hooing" out the window as we take on the trails at Moab.

I need to get on the moutain bike tip also. My Trek is sitting idle in the garage, as I sit idle in front of my PC. Not good. Not healthy. Not what I intended to do after moving to Reno. But 10 years of lethargic city dwelling has taken a toll on my weight and stamina for sure. I need to break out of this shell. I drank 4 Blue Moons last night. This did not help. :)

Bart

i did it. in the last week i went car shopping. got it out of my system... those shiny new lasses out there aren't all that. i saw first hand how everything out there under 35k blows... :p :p (self admitted vx snob. ha.)

however, looking around still didn't fix the vx mod 'blahs'. honestly, since posting the original thread, i think i was just burned out. time will fix that...

in the meantime, i've decided to dust off the old cannondale mtnbike - strip her of all parts, and rebuild, Rebuild, REBUILD - to bring her back to life. i used to be huge into mtnbikes in the mid/late 90's. fixing up the Cdale will be a nice project - after all I could use something to help step up my health game...

-biju.

biju
07/16/2007, 09:45 AM
I need to get on the moutain bike tip also. My Trek is sitting idle in the garage, as I sit idle in front of my PC. Not good. Not healthy. Not what I intended to do after moving to Reno. But 10 years of lethargic city dwelling has taken a toll on my weight and stamina for sure. I need to break out of this shell. I drank 4 Blue Moons last night. This did not help. :)

Bart
That's me to a "T"... figured a good 'cheating on my proton' project would be the bike. For me - time, job and lethargy have taken it's toll... time to get up, and get out!

-beeej.

Ldub
07/16/2007, 09:48 AM
That's me to a "T"... figured a good 'cheating on my proton' project would be the bike. For me - time, job and lethargy have taken it's toll... time to get up, and get out!

-beeej.

HA !...screw it man...lethargy, procrastination & sloth RULE !!! :cool: .. ;) .. :p

Stick with it man you'll see... :p

Triathlete
07/16/2007, 11:43 AM
Get those Mt bikes all spiffed up and log some miles to get those legs ready....then show up in Moab a day or so early. I plan on renting a Mt bike and spending the Monday before ZuZoo starts two wheeling some trails!

If you get really mod bored, you can start an SAS! :smack:

nfpgasmask
07/16/2007, 12:32 PM
BILLY! You're just the guy we need!?!?! Can you come to Reno and be my personal trainer for a month? I'll give you $50 + room and board and take you on rides in my VX as often as you want!! :) :) :)

Seriously though, I gotta break outta my lazy, sloth, double-chin growing shell.

Bart

"I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat" - Fat Bastard

Get those Mt bikes all spiffed up and log some miles to get those legs ready....then show up in Moab a day or so early. I plan on renting a Mt bike and spending the Monday before ZuZoo starts two wheeling some trails!

If you get really mod bored, you can start an SAS! :smack:

mdwyer
07/16/2007, 12:35 PM
For me - time, job and lethargy have taken it's toll... time to get up, and get out! -beeej.

I have a bike in the garage. I've been using it as a parking helper -- it wiggles when I nudge it with a bumper.

I bought a Wii, for a last-ditch attempt to get a little more movement in my life. It is a lot of fun! It has a feature where, after a couple games, it will estimate your "Fitness Age".

Wii says that I'm aged 60.

I give up.

*sigh*

JHarris1385
07/16/2007, 01:11 PM
what game is that?

mdwyer
07/16/2007, 04:35 PM
WiiSports -- it comes with the console.