PDA

View Full Version : Custom Roof Rack?

AlaskaVX
05/27/2003, 03:48 PM
I know that someone was fabbing up a roof rack that would accomodate a full size spare. I can't remember where I saw it, but it had the Vehicross logo on both sides of it. Is this still in the works?

AlaskaVX
05/27/2003, 04:29 PM
OK did some more searching and found that multimediaman was the one working on this, however he has only posted once to the .info site. Does anyone know of an update on this old project?

AlaskaVX
05/28/2003, 10:18 AM
If anyone has been following, I emailed multimediaman and here was the response.

"Sorry for the delay, I was in the hospital for awhile very ill. I am going to meet with a manufacturer at the end of june to get the ball rolling. I will post the results of our meeting in July. Hopefully by then I will have a cost estimate."

coachreed
05/28/2003, 01:19 PM
I'd be VERY intersted in this too... I want a fifth full size wheel and tire and wanted a rook mount rack for it. If anyone finds it, post or email me at rreed17@kc.rr.com .

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

AlaskaVX
05/28/2003, 01:51 PM
Here is the prototype drawings that were on Vmag

http://66.135.165.190:81/images/vehicross/multiman%20rack.jpg

Green Dragon
05/28/2003, 02:24 PM
With the VX OEM Towers at approx 28.5 inches on Center, I would think the way the proposed Rack is cantilevered at the front & back that it would have to be exceptionally strong to support loads such as a full sized spare.

coachreed
05/28/2003, 02:57 PM
That would be pretty kewl IMO. I would like to see exact scale drawings of it and would moreso like to see it made. Would take care of lots of problems with my spare tire situation... don't know that my temporary spare will be too much use with my 285/60/18" Nitto's. I look forward to seeing/hearing more.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

paultvx
05/29/2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by coachreed
That would be pretty kewl IMO. I would like to see exact scale drawings of it and would moreso like to see it made. Would take care of lots of problems with my spare tire situation... don't know that my temporary spare will be too much use with my 285/60/18" Nitto's. I look forward to seeing/hearing more.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

It's useless. If you throw the temp spare on with your oversized Nittos, the ABS system (and probably TOD too) will throw a ***** fit.

You guys know you can get a spare carrier for the Yakima Loadwarrior and Megawarrior right?

AnalogVX
05/29/2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by paultvx
You guys know you can get a spare carrier for the Yakima Loadwarrior and Megawarrior right?

The Yakima spare tire carrier also works with the Thule Playpen. ;)

Triathlete
05/29/2003, 09:35 AM
The "spare carrier" that they sell can be made with $5 worth of hardware from your local hardware store! A long bolt, big wingnut, and a couple of 4-5 inch round metal plates with holes drilled in the middle. Lock it to the rack with a cable lock!:naughty:

coachreed
05/29/2003, 01:55 PM
Anyone have a link to said rack? BTW, why would this throw a ABS or TOD light to add this other rack and spare tire? How do these systems work? I mean, usually these systems mearly compare the front and rear wheel speeds to work... how would a shift of weight change that? I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance. TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

AlaskaVX
05/29/2003, 01:59 PM
Coach, he was talking about using differant size wheels.

coachreed
05/29/2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Coach, he was talking about using differant size wheels.

Your saying that the ABS or TOD won't work right with my larger tires? Seems to have been perfectly fine since they have been on. I have put on around 2500 miles since my tires were installed and everythings good. What seems to be the problem with oversized tires? Am I missing something else here?

Later!

Coach!

AlaskaVX
05/29/2003, 02:30 PM
He was saying if you were to be using your factory spare that it would be screwing the TOD and ABS up since you have oversized tires. In other words your factory spare is worthless now.

coachreed
05/29/2003, 02:37 PM
Ahhhhhhhh... did I mention I'm blonde?! Yes I AM! I can be dense sometimes... but I'm over it now... thanks for the clarification... and the help on the issue.

Later!

Randy!

SPAZZ
05/29/2003, 05:46 PM
Better watch out for that belly button then..,......

paultvx
05/29/2003, 06:04 PM
Coach... ABS and TOD monitors wheel speed. If you have different size tires on the ground, they will turn at different speeds (different overall diameter and circumfrence). That's why ABS and TOD will go ape sh@t on you.

You can see the Yakima Loadwarrior rack at www.yakima.com. I just picked one up from REI at their recent sale. Installed it a hour ago. Very handsome and sturdy. Light mounting brackets are also available. Coach, I have one of their older catalogs. If you're interested I can send it.

A note of clarification so no one can accuse me of undoing what multimediaman is valiantly doing with his own custom rack. I think what he is doing is great. However, his design is a bit of overkill for my needs... which may not be the case for everyone else. I also can't wait for something that may or may not be appealing to my tastes (I am a trained graphic designer and I am picky about things like that) your tastes are probably different. Nevertheless, what he is doing is great and it's people like him that makes this community great.

webdog
05/29/2003, 07:10 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~webdog1/tiretop.jpg

Full size spare fits with room to spare in Load Warrior.:D

paultvx
05/29/2003, 11:29 PM
Image not showing. Nice red X.

Daver
05/30/2003, 11:07 AM
I like the spare tire bracket for the Load Warrior. It's a very strong locking bracket...you can be sure the rack will peel off your roof before the tire comes off the rack. Maybe good, maybe bad. :) I also like that I can put a cover on the spare to protect the tire from the sun.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/12P5180062-640gc-med.jpg

In the end, though...my VX requires 7' clearance with the spare on. Ultimately I'd really like a bracket to mount the spare on the outside of the rear-door instead.

-Daver

webdog
05/30/2003, 09:57 PM
My full sized spare usually rides bolted to the floor
where the back seat used to be. Has anyone ever
bolted a full sized spare to the outside of the rear
door?:confused:

paultvx
05/30/2003, 10:26 PM
I don't know how strong Tone's hitch is... but one could easily fab a swing away spare mount much like the ones Tomken has for the Jeeps.

Here's a picture... use your imagination on how one can be made for the VX. I wouldn't do it personally. Too much weight on the hitch and would hang back too far... not to mention the rattling.

http://www.tomken.com/partpics/large/tmc-0102-tx.jpg

webdog
05/31/2003, 09:13 AM
Looks kinda big to me too.

coachreed
05/31/2003, 10:05 PM
No thanks to the reciever mounted swing-away... I'll mount mine up top or not at all. I may not carry it around town as I have AAA but for road trips and all, I'd probably use the roof mount. I'll definitely check back into these once I arrive back in KC. I look forward to it.

Later!

Coach... aka Randy!