PDA

View Full Version : TOD check light flashing

Diogenes
06/27/2007, 08:03 PM
Folks.. I'm enroute to a family reunion and after driving 1000 miles straight, both my check engine light and TOD "check" light came on. The engine check light has come on before and it may just be a oxygen sensor problem.

Before I started this trip, I had ALL my fluids checked and the transfer case, engine oil, and differentials changed (with proper additives for differentials and transfer case).

But I'm never received a TOD check light before and that flashing red signal has me worried.

Currently I'm at a hotel, and reaching out to this community for some assistance in figuring out what to do. A mechanic will run the computer codes tomorrow morning, and I'm going to have him recheck the diff and transfer case fluids. If they are good, I'm going to take a chance and run it the 150 miles I have left to my destination and keep my fingers crossed.

Btw, the TOD front wheel indicator lights are erratic. They are constantly moving from one bar to full power to the front wheels.

Would overheating possibly cause this? Like I said, it had been running for over 14 hours straight with only refueling stops. And when I pulled it to the side of the road, it was sizzling and cracking underneath (hot day in Tennessee)..

Appreciate any help you can provide in this short time.. I'll check back tomorrow and the next days and update the forum.

Diogenes

Diogenes
06/30/2007, 02:11 PM
Well, I made it to my final destination. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery cable and the next morning the vehicle started fine with no flashing TOD check light. However, I was experiencing some fluctuation in the power transfer indicators which still left me a bit nervous.

I will note that after I popped the hood after the vehicle was taken off the tow truck, I had noticed some radiator fluid as the cap on the resevoir tank had "popped" loose (possibly from overfilled fluid that didn't provide room for expansion). That fluid had spilled over into my engine compartment and it might explain the sensors possibly malfunctioning.

Will be driving back home (1200 miles) on Monday, so keep your fingers crossed I don't have a reoccurence. I'm going to try and nurse my baby back and not subject it to 13 hours of marathon highway running.

etlsport
07/01/2007, 10:06 AM
good luck on your drive! sorry that nobody really had any definite answers for you, TOD failure isnt very common so there arent any real documented fixes for it, other than making sure tires are the same size and inflation and that fluid is full and connectors are tight

logan5
07/02/2007, 10:54 PM
Not sure if this will help you but I had a problem with a buzzing sound coming from under my passenger seat. I took out the seat and pulled up the rug to find a relay/transformer making a buzzing sound. When I removed it the TOD CHECK light came on. The relay looks like this:
http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/relay-spco-p-59.html

The specs are: 40A/30A 12VDC

Not sure if this would work but replacing it may do the trick. I found them on ebay really cheap ($10).

etlsport
07/03/2007, 12:59 AM
as far as i remember there are no relays under the passenger seat normally, so the one thats buzzing is more than likely added on for whatever reason.. sounds like they tapped into the wiring down there which is almost all for the TOD.. probably spliced into a blue wire? wonder if they thought that was the remote turn on from the head unit.... that would be my guess because many people "disconnect" their tod by putting an switch on that blue wire and when its turned off the check light flashes from my understanding............... relays usually make terrible sounds if they are wired improperly

logan5
07/03/2007, 01:07 AM
Interesting, the unit has the ISUZU logo on it which made me think it was standard.

logan5
07/03/2007, 01:08 AM
Interesting, the preamp unit under the passenger seat has the ISUZU logo on it which made me think it was standard. Where is the preamp and all relays usually located?

etlsport
07/03/2007, 01:12 AM
its possible its factory.. i dont remember seeing any relays down there though, most of the relays are located in the engine bay and behind the kickplates in the footwells of both passenger and drivers side (most in the drivers side, but i think there are one or two on the passenger side)

you could start off by replacing it and see if that helps since its an inexpensive part, i picked a couple up at a local car alarm installer for like 5 bucks each

logan5
07/03/2007, 01:14 AM
its possible its factory.. i dont remember seeing any relays down there though, most of the relays are located in the engine bay and behind the kickplates in the footwells of both passenger and drivers side (most in the drivers side, but i think there are one or two on the passenger side)

Thanks, I'll get photos up later tomorrow...