PDA

View Full Version : To Flame or Not To Flame?????

tomdietrying
05/26/2003, 05:49 AM
I have been thinking about putting some flames on my Ironman. I would like some opinions on if this is a good thing or a bad thing. According to my wife it's a bad idea. She said it would make it look to 1970s.

Since my VX is white, I was thinking the flame should be Black and Silver to make it match. Has anyone ever done this or seen it on our VX?

Anyhow, your comments would sure be welcomed.

Tom

tomdietrying
05/26/2003, 05:54 AM
I forgot to add that the flames would begin on the front fender and continue to the door, but not onto the cladding.

VX1
05/26/2003, 06:33 AM
Personally, I would not. But then again, I'm the type that would never get a tatoo because I'm never so sure about a decision that I would want to live with it forever. When I see this done to other cars out on the road, it's usually on cars worth about $1000. Think about resell value.

I know how you feel; I'm out there modifying mine in some way every weekend, but every modification is to make it more of a bad-***** 4X4 that will be taken seriously out on the road. I don't think flames would be taken seriously, it would cheapen the look.

But, of course I have to qualify this opinion with: If you are absolutely sure it will bring you happiness, then do it, without regard to what others say.

Tonka
05/26/2003, 11:24 AM
How cheap would it be to undo it if you didn't like it? I saw a white bug with silver flames and it looked really cool. The VX? I Don't know?

Chief Warthog
05/26/2003, 12:30 PM
;eeko; Bad idea. Remember it isn't a cheap sports car. This is a VX.

BOARZHEAD
05/26/2003, 07:41 PM
Maybe tribal flames, but I personal think flames are for rods.. But hey gotsta be different... Isn't that why we all got this truck in the first place?

hitnrun74
05/27/2003, 04:11 AM
Your best solution is to try it out with some removable vinyl. I've always been a fan of lightning bolts, and have had a few sets of vinyl ones made. Fairly inexpensive, and easy to remove without messing up your paint. Look for a vinyl graphics shop in the phone book.

Navigator
05/27/2003, 05:44 AM
Your asking for opinions here, so IMO the VX is so unique it needs nothing to make it stand out in a crowd. Heck you'll never see more than one on any lot without prior planning or extreme luck. But hey, it's your truck, so paint it however you want, and post pics when you're done :cool!:

Ignite away :flame: we won't get mad at you for being you :cool!:

AlaskaVX
05/27/2003, 10:37 AM
I experimented with some vinyl flames on the windows and after I put the first one on I ripped it right off. I was doing white flames starting from the mirrors and going back to the second window. My brother had some flames that look cool on his truck so I thought I would try it out. It just looked WAY too cheesy, it didn't fit the vehicross.

TDAWG
05/28/2003, 09:38 AM
IMO I think that flames look best on the Classic Hot Rods. Being into the Custom Import Car scene I have yet to see flames make any import look as hot as a 57 Chevy. I put a Reflective "DAKAR" Logo on my insert and had "TDAWG" put on the sides of my doors to be different. So I guess it is nice to be different. I would try it out in sticker form 1st just to see if it looks as good as it sounds. Before taking the leap into painting.

Tone
05/28/2003, 09:52 AM
Ghost flames can be very cool as they are almost invisible until seen at a particular angle. I have seen light purple ones on the edge of the hood and front fenders on a black VX in NY and it worked well. Not sure about on white but maybe a light metallic could work. Good flames are expensive though.

Panther_Black_VX
05/28/2003, 10:00 AM
I have had some people suggest that my VX would look nice with flames. I filed the comments under "Really, ya think?", but didn't really make a move that directions.

Would love to see pics if some does "fire" up their truck!

Tiger66
05/28/2003, 02:46 PM
see removable baby flames put on as a goof.

http://www.magneticflames.com/gallery.JoeS.Ringoes.htm

but something thin and high above the belt line with not much contast may look good.

zadam123
05/28/2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Ghost flames can be very cool as they are almost invisible until seen at a particular angle. I have seen light purple ones on the edge of the hood and front fenders on a black VX in NY and it worked well. Not sure about on white but maybe a light metallic could work. Good flames are expensive though.

Thats what i would do the ghost flames definataly! In NY? anyone here? I would love to see that. :flame:

paultvx
05/29/2003, 02:47 AM
Solid flames... Too tacky. But, I'm a purist. Flames belong on muscle cars... and not on all muscle cars. A Cobra 427 for example wouldn't look right with flames.

Ghost flames might work... but won't show well on white, so why bother? the cost is not going to be cheap by any means. It isn't easy to shoot pearl on white and have it turn out right. There isn't enough contrast. The paint guy would have to spray so much of it to make it show up enough... and in order to get there he'd have to guess as he goes since the white areas near where he's painting will be masked up. Not easy to get side by side comparison to see where he's at with the pearl. I once talked to a Cobra owner who had a white 427 with ghost stripes. He had to reshoot it 4 times to get it right. That's not reshoot like spray on more paint. That's sand, shoot, let dry, polish, and see how it looks for four times. That's more than a solid week of work.

And, the if you don't like the result... you're out $2000 and up... and that's a very loose estimate. Anyone who cares about doing it right will charge more than that easily.

Another thing, if you ever get chips in the paint (a fact of life)... well, you better get to know the paint guy very well. Because if you don't already, you will. Pearl is impossible to match.

Rickster
11/18/2003, 03:29 PM
Cyrk is doing some paint schemes for me in photoshop, trying to come up with a bad*ss design for the VX, I just picked up a custom paint sponsorship, and I am looking for ideas, check it out:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=2538

If your good at photoshop, jump on in, all help would be appreciated.

Rickster

TucsonVX
11/18/2003, 06:22 PM
I'am thinking about that too, or some nice pin stripe painted on, not that cheap tape.

Spike
11/18/2003, 06:33 PM
Y'all just gave me an idea...

How about flames painted on with that artificial spray on mud ?

Rickster
11/19/2003, 08:23 AM
I actually saw a dirt texture looking flame on a Chevy truck, they made it look like actual dirt.

Rick