PDA

View Full Version : Hood hinges..Japan Version

Bieredalsace
06/26/2007, 09:21 PM
I believe I read somewhere that the Japan version of the VX had a forward tilting hood. The hinges for this hood necessitated the 2 "fangs" that are now present in the grill.
Now I'm not sure if it was the Japan version, the original concept version or the show version that had that hood and the "fang" hinges.
Can someone clear this up or should I go back and start reading the literature all over again?
I wonder if these hinges are still available from Isuzu Japan??
Thanks for any hints/help.

IndianaVX
06/26/2007, 09:36 PM
i think that was only on the prototype

etlsport
06/27/2007, 12:04 AM
yea i think that was just the concept.. i would have liked to see that on the production vx.. cool for the novelty of it.. never worked on a car w/ a hood that flips like that but id imagine it would be pretty annoying.. on a related note.. every time im under the hood i think i should find a way to install gas shocks to hold the hood up on its own so i dont have the prop arm getting in the way.. and i can pop the hood with one hand.. so much to do.. so little $$

JHarris1385
06/27/2007, 07:04 AM
Hey etl go to Naoki's site he shows how he did just that.

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/bonnetdamper1/bonnetdamper1.htm

Here is the exact page.

VCrossfan
06/27/2007, 10:59 AM
Alittle off subject. Another show (http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/mutant/mutant.htm) from Naoki's site W/VX's in them...

etlsport
06/27/2007, 12:32 PM
nice, thanks J... i just so happen to have a set of those shocks sitting in my basement at the moment that i havent been able to sell (came from a honda del sol roof holder) looks like this mod might get done friday!

CrnCnn
06/27/2007, 12:34 PM
nice, thanks J... i just so happen to have a set of those shocks sitting in my basement at the moment that i havent been able to sell (came from a honda del sol roof holder) looks like this mod might get done friday!
Do a full write up will ya cause i like this mod.

JHarris1385
06/27/2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah what CRN said.

JAFO
06/27/2007, 02:11 PM
...never worked on a car w/ a hood that flips like that but id imagine it would be pretty annoying..
The first gen RX-7's (79-85) have reverse opening hoods. The only downside is if you are stuck on the side of the road at night, the hood blocks the headlights of a support car trying to help.

A saftey advantage of the reverse opening hood is that they can not be blown open if you forget to shut the hood completely and drive down the road. Because of this they do not have a secondary latching mechanism. Some intentionally drive with the hood open to cool the engine bay in the summer.

With the fender height of the VX a front opening hood might get more in the way.

Chopper
06/27/2007, 02:49 PM
no matter the job...you're laying on the fenders to get it done