PDA

View Full Version : For the Riders...

Joe_Black
06/26/2007, 06:04 PM
Well, I finally got one of my dreambikes this past weekend. It's the bike I'd choose if I could have only one, and after wanting for 12 years it's so nice to call one our own. (Excuse the crappy photos, will get better later) Found it on craigslist down in Miami, so took a drive down in the '78 300D and made a great deal with the seller and I rode back while Kathy followed in the Benz. Kinda funny, an oil burner following an oil head. :p

Ascinder
06/26/2007, 07:15 PM
Those are great bikes. Everyone I have talked to agrees that they are just awesome for all around riding on and off road. Too rich for my blood though$$$$$$ Congrats!!!

Joe_Black
06/26/2007, 07:27 PM
Too rich for my blood though$$$$$$
Can you say $2500? It's a '96 with 103,000 miles and guy I bought it from just got a new '07 R1200GS, so it was pure luck I stumbled on the ad. Typically that year and mileage is fetching around $5K, but either way it beats the $17K they are now. But then again how many bikes can take you around the world? ;)

cyronman
06/26/2007, 07:45 PM
Sweet, congrats!

I sold my first bike 2 months ago and I miss riding :(

Ascinder
06/26/2007, 09:06 PM
Man, that's a steal!!! You aren't related to Dino by chance are you? I would love one of those for that price...I just may have to start looking :yesy: :_drool: :naughty:

JHarris1385
06/27/2007, 07:01 AM
On and off road??? Killer find. I am not to saavy on suggested prices for those but i would say you stole that one. What model is it?

nfpgasmask
06/27/2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not a big fan of BMW cars, but I have always liked the bike designs.

Good stuff. So, how many total vehicles do you have now, Joe?

I'm still working on my Falcon....I can't wait.

:) Bart

Joe_Black
06/27/2007, 07:10 PM
So, how many total vehicles do you have now, Joe?

Ummmm... Too many! LOL, don't start this conversation with my lovely wife as she takes perverse pleasure in telling "acquisition stories". It's never a good thing when the ladies at the DMV say "What did you get now?" when you walk in! :p

Actually we're getting ready for an inventory reduction starting with a round of Mercedes diesels, then the Kawasaki Z1 will go on the block. We may part with the 1934 Caterpillar Twenty-two as I'm not into the gas Cats, but that's kinda up in the air. ;)

Definitely keeps us posted on the Falcon XB! Can't wait to see!

nfpgasmask
06/27/2007, 08:17 PM
Oh man, the agony of waiting is killin me!

Bart

Ummmm... Too many! LOL, don't start this conversation with my lovely wife as she takes perverse pleasure in telling "acquisition stories". It's never a good thing when the ladies at the DMV say "What did you get now?" when you walk in! :p

Actually we're getting ready for an inventory reduction starting with a round of Mercedes diesels, then the Kawasaki Z1 will go on the block. We may part with the 1934 Caterpillar Twenty-two as I'm not into the gas Cats, but that's kinda up in the air. ;)

Definitely keeps us posted on the Falcon XB! Can't wait to see!

Chopper
06/28/2007, 03:27 PM
c'mon Joe... gas burnin' Cats are at the baseline of almost all twentieth century infrastructure. Gassers built the Lincoln highway, Pa. turnpike, and most of those original big roads. How many military bases...? I still have a big ol' Brockway gas burner, sitting at the farm beside an ancient B model Mack triplex. The B is derelict, but Brock would probably start (with some effort). It's my grandad's last truck. A long, long time ago. Save that gasser! Wayne

Chopper
06/28/2007, 04:04 PM
Boy...that scooter would look good, in a nice "Black Magick" (heavy multiple pearl; "04-05 VW R32) :)

Joe_Black
06/28/2007, 05:12 PM
I like the look of a B model, but they sure are small in the cab. I prefer my '70 Transtar and its 8V71 "driptroit". Nothing like stepping on the go-pedal of a supercharged two-stroke V8 diesel with over a thousand pounds of torque and the power response of a sports car!

As for the gas Cats, they actually didn't build a whole lot as they were all predominantly ag use. The early diesels that appeared in the 30's began Caterpillar's shift from ag machinery to construction design. Most of the early attachments such as blades were never made at all by Cat until the late 40's, and were from such innovative outfits such as LeTourneau, Laplant-Choate, Balderson and many others.

If you ever want to get "yellow fever" come check out my two vintage Cat sites: www.antiquecaterpillar.org and www.acmoc.org

Both center around the forums, like here, and we have a strong international community of Caterpillar collectors and enthusiasts. :)

Jonnie
06/30/2007, 10:26 AM
Nice ride, Joe!

Still need to put my '43 James back together.

Jonnie