PDA

View Full Version : I just picked up a hot 18-year old!!

VehiGAZ
06/25/2007, 08:21 PM
She's gorgeous!!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/928GT2.jpg

Nice profile, too!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/928GT1.jpg

And check that a-$-$! Baby got back!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/928GT11.jpg

She opens up nice and easy, too...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/928GT4.jpg

And she's barely been ridden, either!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/928GT5.jpg

Woooooo-hooooooo!!!!! After over a year and a half of searching, finding, and missing out on some great 928's by hours and even minutes (no joke!), and after giving up real hope that I would find and be able to actually buy a decent example of the marque, along came this baby. I was the first to call, and it was only 75 miles away. I saw, I drove, I wrote check. And I got a deal on it, too!

To be specific (for the 928 fans on the site), it's a 1989 Porsche 928 GT - one of like 50 or so sold in the US that year (even rarer than the VX!?). Needless to say, I've been a little busy on the Rennlist forums the past couple of months, but I'm back (for what that's worth).

The VX has the perfect stablemate, now! I think it's pretty clear that I think four doors on a car are two too many. :-)

PS... I apologize for this insensitive and sexist post. I just thought I was being clever! More than a little puerile, but clever! Right? No? Sorry... VX ladies - chastise me to your heart's content.

cyronman
06/25/2007, 08:28 PM
Damn man, that is F R E S H !

PHO2GR4
06/25/2007, 08:28 PM
This will always remind me of "Porsche - there is no substitute", followed shortly thereafter by "Okay, who's the U-Boat commander?"

That is a KILLER ride. Awesome. I am filled with envy.

(A close second would have been a red 944 from "Sixteen Candles".)

Congratulations! Now, USE this Porsche to go pick up some hot 18-year-olds! :p

PHO2GR4
06/25/2007, 08:30 PM
Question: does it have 29000 miles or 129000?

Dino
06/25/2007, 08:49 PM
Ahh yes the 928. I've done plenty service on those. CIS fuel injection... my favorite.
The car runs a bit heavy as I recall. We used to hate it when one turned into a "pusher" while it was getting serviced in our shop.

Nice luxo sports car there dude! Personally, I would rather have a 76 912E because it has a VW type IV engine and you can swap out VW Van engine parts to save bucks, and most people think you have a 911.

Congrats! :cool:

biju
06/26/2007, 05:59 AM
really really cool. this was my dream car as a young teen when i discovered 'exotic' sports cars... just something about that asss.....

nice work!

-biju.

phxsunfan
06/26/2007, 06:03 AM
yea but she's flat. :eek:

zilik
06/26/2007, 06:26 AM
I picked up an 18 year old two years ago so now she's 20. My friend sold me her 1987 944 Turbo that has 31000 miles on the odo. My wife and I affectionately call here the Little Red Racer.

I long for a 928 like yours.

Porsche - There is no Substitute!

VehiGAZ
06/26/2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the props guys! That odo picture shows 29k. Now that I actually look at it, I realize that picture is from last year, though. I actually picked it up with 30,172 Carfax-confirmed miles on it.

I've loved the 928 since the first time I saw one as a kid. I'm an a-$-$-man in general, and that rump has enchanted me for 25 years or so. About 2 years ago, I saw one on the highway after what seemed like a long, long hiatus, and the old flame flared right up. I realized I'm finally able to afford to buy and maintain (!!) one, so I decided to do it. Unfortunately, it took freaking forever to actually make it happen, but what I ended up with was worth all of the waiting and frustration!

Aloha Dino! I saw that you joined the board in my absence. Welcome! Yes, she's a heavy girl, but she can move it on the dance floor! I have a lot of respect for the 911 line, but they never grabbed me like the 928 did. Btw, what's "CIS" fuel injection?

As for "luxo," that's certainly what it was in 1989, but it's pretty ironic to think of it that way today. The most luxurious thing about it other than leather upholstery is the automatic climate control. I should probably call it semi-automatic - it doesn't even control the fan speed!! A freaking 2007 Hyundai probably has more luxury features than the 928! :-)

And as for picking up 18-yr-olds, well, even putting aside the Mrs.'s obvious objections, I'm not sure an 18-year-old would get into an 18-year-old car with a 2x18+ year old guy! But if I find one that would... ;-)

ZEUS
06/26/2007, 06:48 AM
I think you are a sick pervert!!! She might SAY she is 18 but she looks more like 13 to me!!! Shame... :rolleyes:

VehiGAZ
06/26/2007, 07:06 AM
Zeus - LOL!!! (Literally)

iamjacksadrenalgland
06/26/2007, 07:12 AM
congrats! the rennlist is a great place to hang out. i used to own and avidly autocross an '88 924S with the M030 suspension. i had to sell her a little over a year ago when i got this job, and i miss her dearly. very agile, balanced little platform that was a joy to learn how to drive quickly. fortunately she went to another rennlist member about my age who has since turned her into a track only appliance and was kind enough to share pics :)

now that i have the means, i'm casually hunting for a low miles, black 1989 944 turbo. it was the last year of the 944 turbos (aka 951) and had all of the turbo S upgrades.

i'm sure you've been warned about the joys of maintaining a 928, but i wanted to remind you to stay on top of those timing belts or they'll bite you in the *****! and most importantly ... hang onto that girl, or you'll regret it :)

Dino
06/26/2007, 08:49 AM
..and if quirky things pop and you need a bit of advice, please PM and ask.

CIS (http://www.ncr-pca.org/tech/tech-cis.htm) info

VehiGAZ
06/26/2007, 08:54 AM
My cousin has an '88 944 turbo, and he LOVES it. He calls it his "point-and-shoot" car. We were supposed to introduce the cars to each other in 2 weeks, but our plans got crossed.

I'm holding on to this baby as long as I can (afford it, stand it, etc). I consider myself a steward of this classic. The car needed next to nothing - all super-minor repairs and small part replacements to be 100%, and the PO already changed the timing belt in 2004 (@ 26k miles) when he acquired the car, along with all fluids, hoses, and pads. He's done a steady thousand miles a year, changing the oil (2 gallons of Mobil 1 synthetic) THREE TIMES a year. I am a little concerned about a reluctance to hold idle immediately after starting after it's been sitting for a day or more. From advice on Rennlist, it sounds like it could be vacuum leaks, the MAF, or the fuel injection computer. We shall see...

nfpgasmask
06/26/2007, 08:58 AM
Sweet, congrats man.

Bart

Joe_Black
06/26/2007, 01:48 PM
Nice find! (reminisces about '84 928...) These are truly underrated cars, and while not particularly quick they handle like a dream and have a look that just doesn't quit. ;)

Chopper
06/26/2007, 03:02 PM
That's my idea of an eighteen year old. Have fun, take it to the Berkshires, or out Lime Rock way, and wring its neck! Off camber sweepers are now your friends. :p Good luck!

orion
06/26/2007, 03:18 PM
:_drool: :_drool: :_drool: :_drool: ...crap, now i miss my old 944 again :(

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/26/2007, 03:37 PM
I think that is the model that Tony Montana buys in Scarface to impress Michelle Phifer..."Jew like da car?"

VXD959
06/26/2007, 03:52 PM
Congrats! Beautiful! How lucky:18 years old, dressed in white, and almost a virgin (32K miles) :p :p

VehiGAZ
06/26/2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the link, Dino. Mine has the LH injection system, so does the same info apply? I will definitely contact you when things get weird!

Chopper, the first sporting drive is this weekend - we have to go up to Hunter, NY for the day on Saturday. I am seriously looking forward to driving 23A, particularly the twisty bits between Palenville and Tannersville. A couple of weeks ago, we drove up to Toronto for a wedding in the missus's A3. Rt 8 from Winsted up into the Berkshires was a lot of fun, but it would be MUCH more fun in the 928! Lime Rock is a possibility - I joined PCA and they have some events up there this summer. It would be nice to get some track time in it, but I need to master the downshift to 2nd before I play those games. It SAYS is has synchros, but they require a LOT more rev-matching than my Prelude did.

Joe Black - that's the beauty of the GT - it IS pretty quick! It has hotter cams than the contemporaneous S4, 326 hp/317 ft-lbs, a 2.73 rear, 0-60 in 5.8 (Porsche claim), top speed of 171 mph. It could always use more go juice (or a diet), but it's quick and solid and balanced. And gorgeous, to these eyes anyway.

Hot Wasabi - it's funny, I always associated the 928 with Risky Business, but I'm learning that there are plenty of Scarface fans out there, too.

So there are quite a few ex-Porsche owners here, huh? It kinda figures. There are good deals to be had on 80's era Porsches... ;)

PHO2GR4
06/27/2007, 12:54 PM
I keep looking at those photos and drooling. I've only driven a 928 once in my life, and I loved the way the acceleration pushes you back in the seat!

I hope you are out there enjoying it right now!

Chopper
06/27/2007, 03:10 PM
a ''sort of "modified double clutch on the downs will help alot. Don't go any deeper into the pedal than necessary on the drop in. You've syncros... but only singles (and slightly "primitive" ones at that) Downs can't be rushed...more deliberate...the shortened second stroke slows you down a bit, and makes the rev match come to you more easily. So easy to show...so difficult to describe. Like "heel and toe" (using the edges of the right foot to simultaniously brake and blip the throttle on down shift...also a useful skill) tough to describe. Danm, I miss elevation change :(