PDA

View Full Version : Canada mod ban?

WormGod
06/25/2007, 07:50 AM
From a clip in an online news article posted on NASIOC....

Ontario moves to seize cars juiced up for street racing

TORONTO (Jun 21, 2007)

The government has the power to seize and destroy cars that have been adapted for street racing, and can do so before a race takes place or any charges are laid, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said yesterday.

Car junkies who pour thousands of dollars into their vehicles to make them as fast as possible are wasting their money, Bryant said.

He warned potential racers that all it takes is a tip from police to seize and destroy their cars.

"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car -- obviously for the purpose of street racing -- then we can seize those vehicles,'' Bryant said.

"We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

obviously for the purpose of street racing - THAT part really gets me.... so, because I put the S/C in my VX, I am a criminal? It is rumoured that Cali is proposing a similar standard. As Ldub says.... we need more chlorine in the gene pool.

kelvin
06/25/2007, 08:25 AM
CA already has local task forces that target specific race scenes or trouble spots. they can impound the vehicle if it is being driven on the street with illegal parts (mostly illegal due to emissions control or safety...). But in the US your car is your private property. the government has as much right to destroy your car as i have a right to destroy your car (i.e. none at all). This new Canadian rule is very similar to some European countries (Italy specifically)

volume311
06/25/2007, 08:27 AM
It's already been done in Cali. Saw some photos on NASIOC OT, the cars were seized from people caught street racing and crushed.

ZEUS
06/25/2007, 09:18 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/ap_on_re_us/crushed_hot_rods

It's happening, alright...

Dino
06/25/2007, 09:21 AM
OK when do they sieze and burn modified boats? Hey let's not stop there!
What about modded skateboards?? Hey I know! Let's crush cars if their stereo is too loud!!

That ***** is messed up!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

IndianaVX
06/25/2007, 09:28 AM
my dad put a high compression head on his 29 model A, i guess its gonna be next in line to be crushed.........

MZ-N10
06/25/2007, 11:11 AM
all u vxers with sc better watch out.....

Triathlete
06/25/2007, 11:23 AM
Hell, all you PV users better be looking over your shoulder! I wunder what constitutes a "performance mod" in their book. Bigger, more aggressive tire "perfom" better off road...if I am visiting Canada and creep over the posted speed limit will they crush my VX...Eh? At least in Ca you have to get stopped for racing or be found to have stollen parts on your vehicle.

JAFO
06/25/2007, 01:14 PM
This seams a little harsh. Especially when I can go and buy a Dodge Ram truck with factory 500+ horsepower.

All of the American motor companies sold street legal race cars for people to take to the drags on the weekend.

How about banning manufacturer from producing high performance / any performance cars. For example maybe V8 Mustang is excessive compared to the V6. Should they ban all V8 mustangs. Not to mention the factory supercharged V8's.

I put a Optima battery and a K&N air filter in my VX. Am I a street racer?

Dino
06/25/2007, 01:52 PM
It's the cart before the horse!!

DRAG RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...that's the answer.

They shouuld support and promote drag racing. That's why drag racing came into being!!! A place to legally race!!

If all those young cats would just do that instead of being "rebels" they could enjoy racing every weekend. But noooooooooooo... they have to just break all the rules and do it at night in an unsafe manner, then wonder why why why did my car get taken away! Because you endanger too many others in your quest for speed!!!

I have no sympathy for them, but I don't condone confiscating cars and shutting down someones pursuit of a hobby either!!!!!!

Take it to the track!! :cool:

rowhard
06/25/2007, 03:04 PM
insert 2 cents. Now as was pointed out not long ago, I am of a age where street racing in this country was going out on a lonely straight piece of road and drag racing on a Friday or Saturday night until the cops came charging in. Our car were only good for that, going in a straight line. Now, the cars of today just like the sports bikes of today are, let face it, are outrageously fast. They handle, they brake and they go like hell. And I'm sorry, but the folks of today driving these things don't have much respect for others, its all about me. Where we were racing out on some lonely road and might kill ourselves, today they are doing it in the neighborhoods and not only killing themselves, they are killing innocent people that are doing nothing more then standing around in their neighborhoods. I don’t like what is happening in Canada, Italy or anywhere else where the law can take your property and destroy it. Like Dino and others have said, where will it end. Sorry if I stepped on any toes, just my 2 cents.

Chopper
06/25/2007, 03:24 PM
They catch you actively engaged in a street race, I don't care if they crush the car with you in it...as for the preemtive strike, I think some major constitutional changes will have to be made, before they are seizing cars based on potential usage, rather than actual usage.

etlsport
06/25/2007, 04:14 PM
yea i saw that in CA the other day... couldnt beleive it.. same kind of thing with gun bans.. they take them because you *could* shoot someone with it.. not because you have... just gives more reason to create a sleeper :cool: ... i agree with whats been said though.. if youre going to race do it on a track or an empty road

psychos2
06/25/2007, 04:42 PM
My 2 Cents, If you street race they should crush your car , bike, or whatever you are driving. If you want to race go to the track !!!!! Canada is going a little to far with if you mod your vehicle you are going to street race. Let the bashing begin. shawn

JAFO
06/25/2007, 05:56 PM
Thursday, June 15, 2006
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2006/06/15/race-destroy060615.jpg

Two cars used in a street race and seized by police were destroyed by York
Regional Police, Thursday. (CBC)

"Police say 34 people have died as a result of street racing in the Greater Toronto Area since 1999."
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/06/15/street-racing.html

I agree, those that commit the violent acts need to stand up and be accountable for their actions, but I don't agree with them taking away everyones freedom.

I see the future as follows:
Technology will advance to a point where all cars will be fully autonomous. Cars without this technology will be banned. Manual driving will be a thing of the past. The cars will drive within parameters established by the government. Any attempt to modify the cars will immediately trigger a violation and notify police.

This technology will not be cheap. As a result, car ownership will be a luxury and reserved for the wealthy. Everyone else will walk, bike, or take mass transit. Or ride Segways.

Support for my theory:
I'm not sure how many are aware of this, but there is a revolution starting to happen in the insurance world called "Pay As You Drive" or PAYD insurance. It is starting out as an option for drivers who drive less and want to save money. If driver "A" drives twice as much as driver "B", driver A statically has twice the risk of driver "B". However, currently driver A and B pay the same insurance rate if all other things are equal. PAYD insurance is currently being promoted in several states by offering tax cuts to insurance companies offering PAYD insurance. Their goals are to reduce traffic congestion, traffic accidents, and emissions. IE the more you drive the more you pay.

PAYD insurance requires devices attached to your vehicle to tell how much you drive. Some are time based and some are mileage based. Some use GPS , satellite, cellphone technology, or a combination of the three to communicate with your car.

The benefits of this is that it gives insurance companies an acurate way to calculate your risk. Another benefit is crash data. If you have an accident, the police and insurance companies can retrieve information to recreate the incident. If you have OnStar or an embedded car chip your vehicle already has this capability.

WormGod
06/26/2007, 07:16 AM
They catch you actively engaged in a street race, I don't care if they crush the car with you in it...as for the preemtive strike, I think some major constitutional changes will have to be made, before they are seizing cars based on potential usage, rather than actual usage.

Thats exactly the issue. It's almost like Minority Report.... catch the "possible, soon to be criminal" before he commits an act of crime in the future. Hell, lock us all up then. It's nice to know that my 2 vehicles are both illegal and possible deadly weapons in many areas.

Legislators must have watch Fast and the Furious and thought it was a documentary. Street racing can hurt and kill people.... not modding. I can see SEMA being a terrorist organization in the near future, heh.

EDIT: For the record, many of you may recall when I was arrested for "speed contesting on a highway" some years ago. I am as guilty as the next street racer, even though, technically, all I did was to speed up as there was a merge lane ahead and some clown took that as an invite to race and a cop saw it as the same. In the eyes of the law, street racing can be misinterpreted as well as you can see.

TEN36VX
06/26/2007, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=ZEUS]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/ap_on_re_us/crushed_hot_rods
QUOTE]
Nevermind that both of the vehicles had stolen parts, the value of which constitutes a felony... And it isnt like the police are jsut going out and crushing cars, it requires a court order, ussually steming from a conviction. Law enforcement goes after the modifications as street racing is a crime of opportunity, one that starts quickly and is over quickly and is therefore very difficult to catch. Often agencies are not even able to pursue a fleeing suspect due to pursuit policies. It's quite frustrating.

Street racing kills somebody in the greater Sacramento area on average, monthly.
Just a few quick examples:
March 29, 2007: Police Seek Murder Charge Following Fatal Street Race (http://www.kcra.com/news/11442992/detail.html) (results (http://www.kcra.com/news/13549790/detail.html))
February 27, 2007: Street Racing Suspected In Fatal Stockton Crash (http://www.kcra.com/news/11129486/detail.html)
February 24, 2007: 2 Arrested In Fatal Street Racing Crash (http://www.kcra.com/news/7402191/detail.html)
February 19, 2007: 2 Dead In Suspected Street Racing Crash (http://www.kcra.com/news/11048953/detail.html)
February 12, 2007: Teen Killed In Apparent Street Racing Crash (http://www.kcra.com/news/10984398/detail.html)
February 2, 2007: Driver Killed In Street Racing Crash (http://www.kcra.com/traffic/6685122/detail.html)
January 14, 2007: Woman Killed In Suspected Street Racing Crash (http://www.kcra.com/news/10742385/detail.html) (result (http://www.kcra.com/news/10778822/detail.html))
September 12, 2006: Sacramento Wreck Blamed On Street Racing (http://www.kcra.com/traffic/9828744/detail.html)
August 31, 2006: Motorcyclist Dies In Head-On Collision In Elk Grove (http://www.kcra.com/traffic/9768967/detail.html)
July 21, 2006: Street Racing Suspected In Fatal Wreck (http://www.kcra.com/traffic/9554536/detail.html)

MZ-N10
06/26/2007, 01:42 PM
so 34 ppl died due to street racing in 8 years in toronto.....and ppl get their cars crushed. i wonder how many people die from OD on medication, or cellphones while driving in those pass 8 years......

ZEUS
06/26/2007, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=ZEUS]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/ap_on_re_us/crushed_hot_rods
QUOTE]
Nevermind that both of the vehicles had stolen parts, the value of which constitutes a felony... And it isnt like the police are jsut going out and crushing cars, it requires a court order, ussually steming from a conviction.

Well, supposedly, my albino ferret that my old roommate let escape was previously stolen too, which is why the animal shelter wouldn't let me have him back when I figured out where he was. They asked to see a receipt for something I had owned for 2 years! Although I bought that ferret from a store, I did not have a receipt, so they confiscated my pet... luckily they didn't crush him... or did they??? :rolleyes:

I don't condone street racing but I don't condone everything the government does either.

rowhard
06/26/2007, 02:33 PM
As Will Rogers said, "Thank god we don't get all the government we pay for".

ZEUS
06/26/2007, 02:38 PM
As Will Rogers said, "Thank god we don't get all the government we pay for".

Amen to that!

Chopper
06/26/2007, 03:14 PM
I condone very little the government does, this one or any other one.

Kenny
06/26/2007, 03:30 PM
Funny, I'm Toronto this week...

As for pre-emtive crushing, thhhpt!. We're Canadians, we're pu$$ies, we're soft on crime. We appoligize more to the criminal as we take him into custody than the victim laying on the ground with a head wound. #$$% liberals...

The move is extremely bold. But it's more of a deterrent to the ignorant "beginners" out there who are more dangerous without skill and only a small hinderance to the serious racers. But it is an excellent big stick to carry when dealing with these jokers. In my City, we have the same problem, innocent people getting killed in T-bones from racers. So we are aggressive in TICKETING loud, obnoxious, non-conforming cars (zeroing in on the imports not muscle cars :cool: ) In fact I was afraid for a while with my tires sticking out an inch or so to get a ticket... none yet - actually cops stop me to ask about the car, they likey! :cool: I do wish we had the same law in our City to smack those numbskulls where it hurts.

I can see this law being enacted in specific circumstances. Say a mother and her children are killed by street racing. I can see the after effect being a run of crushing "racers" until the public's need for vengence is burned off...

Don't be fooled, Canadians can profile. It won't be someone like one of us with a lowered, supercharged G35 coupe - (probably my next car :rolleyes: ) who'll get the attention. If you try to look like the cast from Fast & Furious, then look out...
:smack:

I like it.

Cheers.

WyrreJ
06/26/2007, 07:47 PM
so 34 ppl died due to street racing in 8 years in toronto.....and ppl get their cars crushed. i wonder how many people die from OD on medication, or cellphones while driving in those pass 8 years......

As I see it, this is the root problem with American and western society today - we will NEVER be 100% risk free. Life is fatal.

All of these attempts to prevent statistically negligible, but very vivid fatalities just end up wasting taxpayer money and making the population more dependent on the whims of the state. There are a lot better things to spend our capital on that silliness like this.

WormGod
06/27/2007, 07:44 AM
Might be a good time to get stocks in "metals recycling" if this thing really takes off. :p

I was talking to 2 buddies who are county cops last night that I caught on their break about this whole thing. They had read about it as well and thought it was pretty ludicrous as well. Their take was, there are far more important things to do then to have a few cops having to tend to this stupid matter, let alone the amount time and money that has to be spent on such a thing. Plus, no money is to be made from this, so it isnt cost effective at all. And besides, anyone who gets his car crushed isnt likely to learn his lesson anyways.... he will hate this system policy and do it again out of rebellion.

I look at it this way.... if it were in effect in my state, and some cop decided he didnt like the sound of my PV or found my complete LED light conversion interesting and pulled me over, just to pop my hood and find a S/C in there, he "could" find my VX negligent, because with an aftermarket S/C, I am CLEARLY a street racer. Suddenly, it's impounded and I get a summons to go watch it get the dozer in 3 weeks at the state depot. I am showing up really pissed off, with lawyers (even if it breaks me, which I am certain it would), a news crew, a copy of my driving record which shows no points, and my insurance statement to show that I am a low risk driver. If after all of that, it still takes the pancake massacre, I might be pissed off just enough to show them the "other" thing I brought. :cool:

Granted, I am SURE there is a whole lot more to it, and it's really geared at multiple offenders and those with mismatched VINs, illegal parts, and/or stolen parts. The only thing mismatched in my VX is the driver, but that cannot be corrected. :p

kelvin
06/27/2007, 08:42 AM
its still all BS! If the US did this, the government would be taken to court and ordered to pay damages. Thats how the system works here. MY property means its protected. This kind of behavior makes me want to kick kanada out of the union...

(seriously peeved at all this...)