PDA

View Full Version : Tires

JHarris1385
06/22/2007, 12:03 PM
So I am heavily in the search of some new tires in the rim diameter of 18 inches. I want to downsize just a bit from my 265/75-16 = 31.65 inches to 30inches or so. Like a 255/60/18. Yeah I know it sounds stupid when larger is better in the off roading world, but this is my daily driver and I want a bit better gas mileage than what I was getting with my 265/75-16's. I am currently running heavy 265/50-20 and getting about 3mpg better, so with that math a 255/60-18 should get me another 2mpg or so. Im lifted and plan to stay that way. Just plainy want to get a smaller tire. IF possible.

Alright so im picky and do not want just any tire this time. My current A/T's are not just doing it for me. I want a MORE aggresive off-roader with GOOD SIDEWALL action. So far the two tires that grab my attention the most are...Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips and Yokohama Geolander M/T+ BUT they dont come in small 18's

Dirt Grips
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Dirt_Grip.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Dirt_Grip.jpg)

Yoko's
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/geomt.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/geomt.jpg)

I have searched a lot so far and will continue till I find what I want. I would almost downsize to a 17 inch rim.

Any one know of a tire that has lots of sidwall action that I might not have found yet. I do like Thornbirds a bit too and Maxxis Creepy Crawler but so far i have not found them in 18' of my specs.

jkstephens83
06/22/2007, 03:05 PM
I like the tread pattern and side of the Dirt Grips more. Look awful mean :)

Kenny
06/22/2007, 03:46 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but if you're seriously looking a mud terrain type tires or ones with aggressive treads - I'd throw your plan of getting better fuel consumption out the window. Get the aggressive tread, go 32" and go mean!! :cool:
You've got the wheel well space, use it - go big!
Look at the mediocre fuel consumption as a "coolness" tax!

Anyways, you'd probably get better mileage by just easing up on the gas, more so than tire size on the treads you're looking at...

Picking new tires is blast for the VX, make to most of it.

Ldub
06/22/2007, 04:09 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but if you're seriously looking a mud terrain type tires or ones with aggressive treads - I'd throw your plan of getting better fuel consumption out the window. Get the aggressive tread, go 32" and go mean!! :cool:
You've got the wheel well space, use it - go big!
Look at the mediocre fuel consumption as a "coolness" tax!

Anyways, you'd probably get better mileage by just easing up on the gas, more so than tire size on the treads you're looking at...

Picking new tires is blast for the VX, make to most of it.

Yeah...what Kenny say be troof.

Most of the time, with a more agressive offroad tread comes a higher load range (ply rating), which increases weight. Also, a more agressive tread has more friction/rolling resistance which kills mileage.

Bottom line...you wanna play, ya gotta pay. :cool:

psychos2
06/22/2007, 07:35 PM
when you are calculating gas mileage with non stock tires you need to adjust for the difference in circumference. the 20 " tire you have listed turns 663 revs per mile and the 16" turns 637 revs per mile , so more revs will show more miles on the odometer. shawn

JHarris1385
06/22/2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I am just having a hard time so far finding an under 32'' with an 18 wheel. I might be selling my 20's and 16's if I find a great 18 with 31 tire.

JHarris1385
09/06/2007, 09:20 AM
The time has come. I am deep into the serach for my fourth set of wheels and tires.

I think I am going to sell my 16's and 20's tire and rim packages.

GOT A QUESTION THOUGH>

I wanted some truxus sts or one of the above they dont fit my criteria.

So how well do terra grapplers handle off-road and in mud? That is my main concern, since they happen to come in a wide array of sizes.

ZEUS
09/06/2007, 09:57 AM
It looks like the greatest selection of truck tire sizes are coming in the 17" variety right now. That may be something for you to consider - lots of options there.

JHarris1385
09/06/2007, 10:32 AM
It looks like the greatest selection of truck tire sizes are coming in the 17" variety right now. That may be something for you to consider - lots of options there.

Thanks will look. I dont have the 18's yet so Im still looking for them as well. Ill keep in mind that more tires might come in 17. I think i want to go all black.

Any one have an opinion on the terra's off road use?