PDA

View Full Version : Time to lube the windows

Chopper
06/20/2007, 03:15 PM
It's getting hot. Lubricants evaporate faster now. Time to squirt the windows!

biju
06/20/2007, 03:22 PM
great reminder (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10278) chopper...

-biju.

Ldub
06/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Been using that new "Jigaloo" stuff & like it.

Dino
06/20/2007, 03:28 PM
I like my dry graphite powder! No evaporate!!! :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
06/20/2007, 03:48 PM
OK Ldub/Dino,

Describe in detail your respective products, as I think the silicone stuff works, but would be willing to try something better.

Bart

Chopper
06/20/2007, 04:03 PM
Dub! where did you get my baby pictures. Did my sister give you the one of me doin' Jager-bombs at my first b-day party. Born with too much blood in my alcohol stream, I was :p

Ldub
06/21/2007, 05:40 PM
Dub! where did you get my baby pictures. Did my sister give you the one of me doin' Jager-bombs at my first b-day party. Born with too much blood in my alcohol stream, I was :p

LOL...She gave me the baby pic of you huffin' a smoke down in two drags, I had to pay extra for the first B-day Jagerpoison bombs. LMAO!

(Note to self...git on down to visit Wayne for some recreational libational activities before I die.) :p :cool:

Ldub
06/21/2007, 05:58 PM
OK Ldub/Dino,

Describe in detail your respective products, as I think the silicone stuff works, but would be willing to try something better.

Bart

I dunno if it's just repackaged silicone, or what this stuff (jig-a-loo) is...it has a pleasant smell & makes my windows go up & down real good...I saw it advertised on TV & then saw it at wall-mt. & gave it a try.
Made in Canada...one of the few products I've ever purchaced that has no web addy. anywhere on the can.
Some of it's advertised attributes...

No drip--no stain--stops squeaks--unsticks just about anything--protects against rust--an exceptional water repellent (which makes me think it's silicone based)...

Also contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of Cali...which makes me glad I live in ND. ;)

Dino
06/21/2007, 08:33 PM
My stuff is just dry graphite powder. It comes in a little plastic tube. Most auto parts stores and locksmiths carry it. I just give the tube a little squeeze into the rubber seal with the window down and smoothness happens!

nfpgasmask
06/21/2007, 09:40 PM
Cool, thanks.

Bart

Y33TREKker
06/22/2007, 09:18 AM
My local Wal-Mart didn't have the CRC or Valvoline brands of silicone spray recommended in the last thread like this, so I tried the Gunk/Liquid Wrench Heavy Duty Silicone Spray they had. My windows had gotten some dust in the tracks recently, and were starting to sound "gritty" when I'd move them up or down. While they didn't sound good going up and down before using the spray, at least they moved free and straight with no help from me.

Now I don't know if my window tracks had dried out over time or what, but it seemed like the silicone spray must have caused them to swell up a bit because the spray actually made my windows start binding. After not using them for a few days, the binding problem cleared up some, but after that episode, I think I might try the graphite powder next time.

Dino
06/22/2007, 12:24 PM
Exactly why I'm not a fan of silicone on window tracks.

rowhard
06/22/2007, 04:19 PM
Yo Bandit, forgot all about the dry stuff, the stuff that has been around since even I was just a twinkle in someones eye. Any idea HOW it reacts with window tinting if it reacts at all?

Dino
06/22/2007, 06:39 PM
Graphite doesn't react with much of anything except acid. :rolleyes:

I used to use a product on my mointain bike when I lived in Arizona. It was called Dri-slide. It was a mild solvent carrier liquid with graphite suspended in it. You just squirted it on and it penetrated in. After a few minutes, the solvent evaporated and there was nothing left but graphite.

You could probably get the same results if you mix the powder with a little naptha... (found in the paint dept. at your hardware store.) Mix about 1/4 teaspoon with 2 oz. of naptha in a squirt bottle and shake it up!! Put a little down the edge of the window into the track, roll it up and down a few times and let it dry.

...I might have to try that just to see how good it works.. or not. Naptha and rubber get along well so it should be OK.