PDA

View Full Version : VX Dealership posters...

Cyrk
06/19/2007, 12:06 PM
I have this poster I got from the dealership. It is about 12x27.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/39vx_poster.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39vx_poster.jpg)

I have a call into one of my print vendors about reproducing that poster for me/us.

Would you guys be interested in reproductions on a nice 80lb poster stock for about 25-35 bucks each?

Just trying to see if anyone is interested as it is going to cost to have the image photographed or scanned since it is large format and then to cost of printing. I was going to try and get 20 of them.

-Dave

JHarris1385
06/19/2007, 12:12 PM
Thats like the one that went for $165 on ebay last week, not the same but similar.

Ill take one for sure

biju
06/19/2007, 12:19 PM
in.

-beej.

VXIRONwoMAN
06/19/2007, 01:30 PM
I'm in!

jkstephens83
06/19/2007, 01:39 PM
Definitely.

DeepSilentComplete
06/19/2007, 01:57 PM
Oh yeah, sign me up!

fuzzy
06/19/2007, 02:10 PM
In

Chopper
06/19/2007, 03:25 PM
In for sure. when, where, and how do you want it my friend?

k4tmc
06/19/2007, 03:31 PM
I would be more interested if it was of a Proton VX.

Were there any large posters with a Proton version?

Henry

rowhard
06/19/2007, 03:36 PM
see if you can get a volume discount. And if they can play with the color of it, they might be able to sell a bunch here. Either way, I'm for sure interested

Mr.Badguy
06/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Also very interested!! Yes it is similar to the one that was sold on ebay. Count me in.

Joe_Black
06/19/2007, 09:21 PM
Dare thee to ask? In! :)

nocturnalVX
06/19/2007, 09:40 PM
I'll take one as well. Thanks!

darkl4805
06/19/2007, 10:28 PM
I'm in!

PHO2GR4
06/19/2007, 11:11 PM
Did we get copyright clearance from Isuzu of America? They may not have a problem with copying and distributing it, but they might. And they might have a different problem if it is being sold...

I'm not saying that -I- have a problem with it, but I have seen some pretty nasty copyright infringement cases...

Bieredalsace
06/20/2007, 01:11 AM
Maybe I'm being too simple..or cheap.. What about taking it to Kinkos or Staples and have them "xerox" it???

Cyrk
06/20/2007, 04:45 AM
How would I go about getting copyright clearance from Isuzu of America?
This might be not worth the time and money...
-Dave

Joe_Black
06/20/2007, 06:16 AM
If you're not making any money from it (of course you're not!) and make sure in fine print you have the typical copyright lore near the bottom of the print you should be good to go. Enthusiasts do this sort of thing all the time, just think of all the various marque clubs out there reproducing posters, brochures and what-not, especially the Corvette and Mustang folk.

We basically fall into this area of current copyright law:

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use38
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

As enthusiasts of the VX our use is considered "nonprofit educational purposes". Further, the effect on the value of the original work is unaffected as the reproduction is obviously a reproduction and dimensionally different from the original, thusly further seperating from any value impact. Not to mention any percieved value of the original would be to non-Isuzu entities such as collectors of memoribilia.

Ldub
06/20/2007, 06:32 AM
If Isuzu can't be bothered to produce vehicles for sale in the US market, why should they care what anyone does with their promo material? :mad:

There...I said it... :rolleyes:

Cyrk
06/20/2007, 06:36 AM
Cool Joe, thanks.

So would something to this affect work...©2007 Isuzu Motors America, Inc.

I am dropping it off at the printer today to see if we can get a clean shot or scan of it and how it will reproduce.

I keep you guys posted.

-Dave

JHarris1385
06/20/2007, 07:35 AM
Sorry, but this copyright infringement should have never been brought up. Nothing would occur from this at ALL. No worries.

Now go press the scan/copy button already.

Joe_Black
06/20/2007, 07:53 AM
Copyright concerns are a valid issue in our litiginous society, so you should be in CYA mode at all times in the public domain. It's sad, but true. Otherwise you're sued.

As for the print, something more like "All images, trademarks and copyrights represented are property of their respective owners". That way you've got both Isuzu and Isuzu America covered, as well as whatever firm actually produce the advert.

WormGod
06/20/2007, 07:56 AM
Hey Dave, count me in on one. I need some VX shwag to hang in the garage. Its all Subaru stuff in there now and I cant let her feel like a redheaded stepchild. ;)

JHarris1385
06/20/2007, 08:04 AM
There is just NO way Isuzu America would 1.) Find out about this distribution 2.) Care enought to pay the court fees if they did find out.

Trust me this is an issue that should have not been brough to his attention. But go ahead and cover yourself with the citation.

PHO2GR4
06/20/2007, 08:58 AM
JHarris,

I DID just mention it in the CYA category. The fact that I am a professional photographer, and that I've found out about companies illegally copying MY work, has nothing to do with my mentioning it. Of course, the fact that I DID find out about the copying of my work, and was able to then demand compensation, is reason to believe that Isuzu might find out. The fact that we've been posting in a public special interest forum also makes it likely that others are reading these threads.

Your point #2, about Isuzu not caring, is probably true. Big company, not producing VXs anymore, probably just giving us a "pass", etc...all true.

They're also not losing any income over it. No big deal.

But please, let's be frank about the fact that copying a poster and selling it for $30 is indeed copyright infringement. I've also heard REALLY strong arguments for illegally downloading MP3s from the internet, but...um...it's illegal. It does not fall under the provision of "fair use". After 50 years, it may be a different story, because I believe that's when the copyright will expire (unless renewed).

So, I just needed to make people aware: I do not care one way or the other about printing and selling old Isuzu posters. I'm not up on a soapbox about it. But the copying, printing and selling WILL technically be copyright infringement. A tiny, unimportant, negligible, off-the-radar bit, of course...no harm, no foul, perhaps.

I mentioned it because there is the tiniest chance that the OP might not have known about the infinitesmal, almost non-existent risk. Or that potential buyers might have a tiny ethical compunction against engaging in the transaction if they knew that it was technically illegal. Like NBC says, "The more you know..."

...although NBC may have trademarked that quote, so now I'M busted....

JHarris1385
06/20/2007, 09:12 AM
Trust me I understand why you posted it. I knew you were a professional photographer and I realize your fuel for it. My dad has had some of his prints copied as well.

Furthermore, I am following in my father's footsteps by working on my law degree; so I understand it all.

Your as likely to get "caught" doing this as you would by recording VHS's.

I think we just hijacked this thread. Back to the ordering process.

PHO2GR4
06/20/2007, 11:18 AM
Your as likely to get "caught" doing this as you would by recording VHS's.

Well, more precisely, "...recording VHS's and selling them online", such as what has been happening through Russia and China. I could have purchased the new Pirates of the Carribean movie before it was even released in theaters! ;)

And NOW, back to the ordering.

Chopper
06/20/2007, 03:03 PM
no worries about them and any more releases :rolleyes: Be sure to print any copyright stuff in an oversize margin so it can be sliced off before mounting, and not screw up the balance of the print when it's mounted.