PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil

Andrey
05/24/2003, 07:17 AM
After my trip to Syracuse, NY and putting all together 815 miles I've noticed that I have to add about 12-14 OZ of oil. What is particularly intewresting is that on my way to Syracuse engine did not take any oil - I've checked level right after the arrival. So all the oil was "taken" on my way back. I've read that Isuzu engines are "taking" oil so my question is 12-14 OZ per 800 mile is OK or excessive and does the oil brand/viscocity has anything to do with it. I am using Synthetic Blend Quaker State 4X4 10W30. Where oils is going ? I have no black marks on the ex pipe, no leaks... does it evaporate on 80 mile per hour speed ?;py;

SoilDoc
05/24/2003, 04:07 PM
I need a quart after 2,000 miles. It usually takes a long time for me to rack up miles because I drive 1.5 miles to work every day. I figured that the oil loss was due to so many start/stops but I do notice residue on the tailpipe.

I did a search because I remember an old post on club vmag.

I found the old link that talks about oil loss:

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001572.html

Next oil change I will mention the oil loss to the dealer--along with my cracked hood shield and busted windshield.

XCross69
05/24/2003, 04:51 PM
Glad I am not the only one have-n trouble with oil loss..Every time I change mine I wonder where the rest of the oil is. It doesn't leak it and I am sure it doesn't smoke??? Mine has 41k on it. My question is how low does the oil have to get before the check engine oil light comes on?? Also, does the VX have to be out of gas before the low fuel light comes on?

johnnyapollo
05/24/2003, 05:47 PM
You will want to check your oil more frequently, rather than waiting for that dummy light to come on. Generally by the time a light comes on, it's almost if not too late. It means that the sensor isn't detecting ANY oil flowing over it... bad sign!

-- John

Vasha13
05/24/2003, 08:34 PM
I'm not absolutely sure but when I was driving back from Moab, my check engine light came on. I knew I was about 1/2 quart low when I started out that morning. I pulled over and stayed overnight until I could call a dealership. FYI - they advised that as long as the check engine light isn't flashing, the car is still okay to drive (I didn't know this - maybe y'all did). The next morning, I checked my oil and was 1 quart low - I filled it before heading out and the check engine light went out 20 minutes later. Haven't had it come back on since but I am going to have the dealership check it out next week when I am in for something else. If it was just an oil problem, the check engine light seems to come on at 1 qt low (at least for me it did).

AnalogVX
05/25/2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by XCross69
...does the VX have to be out of gas before the low fuel light comes on?

No, but it sure gets low. I put 20 gallons of fuel in the tank when my light came on. That leaves about 2 gallons for reserve. Not much at 15-17 mpg.:eek: