PDA

View Full Version : driving up rivers

patrick cooper
06/17/2007, 05:55 AM
mines a right hand drive jap import when driving up river fast the water goes over the bonnet and if you have the fan on max like i did to clear the windscreen the water gets sucked down the vents and leaks out onto the left footwell and blowes the 20amp fuse under the bonnet marked as blower so keep the fan turned off when river driving i replaced the 20 amp fuse and the fan is working ok again see me in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ivM_tINlU

patrick cooper
06/17/2007, 06:05 AM
just hit it hard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ht5ZJP8iMw

Dino
06/17/2007, 10:05 AM
Very nice VX action!! :_steering

Water is a blast to drive in. Love that snorkel!

Who is shooting the video? I love the location. Kind of reminds me of the streams where I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains of northern New York. Similar lattitude I guess.... :_beer:

WiSDoM
06/17/2007, 03:20 PM
nice shots. did you move your alternator?

psychos2
06/17/2007, 03:32 PM

Who is shooting the video? I love the location. Kind of reminds me of the streams where I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains of northern New York. Similar lattitude I guess.... :_beer:
Patrick , nice shots.

Dino, Where abouts in the Adirondacks ?? shawn

Dino
06/17/2007, 04:40 PM
Adirondacks??? ummmm how about a little town Lewis Co. called Lowville?

Chopper
06/17/2007, 05:26 PM

That's a mirror, not a snorkel.

etlsport
06/17/2007, 05:33 PM
hes also got a snorkel that runs up along the front of the windshield it looks like

Dino
06/17/2007, 06:09 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vx_snorkel.jpg

yep that's the one I mean! I likey!

tomdietrying
06/17/2007, 06:14 PM
Patrick,
Great action! Hey, what type and size tires are you running. Finally, are those rock sliders you have on there?
Peace.
Tom

patrick cooper
06/18/2007, 12:58 PM
thats a snorkil ok i removed the air filter box and replaced it with a apollo rc5051as cold air intake k&n filter and got the longer hose and piped it up the wing and drilled a 3" hole in the wing and connected it to a pipe of the same internial dia and if you pull back the rubber at the top of the door/corner of winscreen you will find a handy star screw cut up a old motercycle tube about 2"width and screw it on then tuck the pipe through the rubber. silicone all the joints as you go along, still looking for a sutible head for the top but just use a cut piece off the pipe that comes with the k&n filter sounds good aswell just at ear level when driving down the street the k&n filter does up to 250bhp mines the 3.2 litre v6 probaly only 175bhp, in northern Ireland we have had lots of rain and the rivers are well flooded.

patrick cooper
06/18/2007, 01:11 PM
forgot to tell you alternator has not been moved, did not short out ,or the light did not come on during deep water ,tyres are 275/75/16 made the rock slider my self 3"x1.5" box with 1"bars at the sides ome912 springs with 1" spacers at the bottom wheels have 32mm spacers behind them

JHarris1385
06/22/2007, 01:15 PM
What kind of tires are those?

Heraclid
06/23/2007, 08:36 AM
I think the alternator problem is related to particles in the water getting trapped in the alternator, rather than water itself. Some of these materials are conductive and can ruin the alternator. I guess it's possible in any water crossing, but muddy brown water stands a better chance of killing it. Deep, fast-moving, relatively clear-looking water like that, probably not so much.

Chopper
06/23/2007, 11:59 AM
Now I see it, Nice snorkel :p

Mark B
06/23/2007, 01:54 PM
The driver looks like he is on the right side of the VX.
Must be a japan VX.

Ldub
06/23/2007, 08:38 PM
May I be so bold as to urge you to service your front bearings?... ;)
The reasoning behind this you ask???

Personal experience...I was wheelin' in an ORV park that had reddish orange trails, (a reclaimed iron ore mine) I was due to service my front bearings the next weekend.
Upon dis-assembly, I was suprised to find the same coloured grungy spooge INSIDE my front hubs where my bearings reside. :(
There were no deep water crossings, just splashed through a few puddles that day.
BTW, nice vid.