PDA

View Full Version : Could It Be A Window Fix

VXRoadster
06/16/2007, 05:11 PM
After finding a used window in a local salvage yard (clips broken) I drilled the glass out of my clips from the broken window (passenger door). I used 3M window weld to mount the clips to the new window. After letting dry for 10 minutes I re-installed the glass. During the install I had an idea to mount the rear clip (clip nearest the rear of the door) as a normal install, however on the front clip I mounted it in front of the bracket instead of the normal install proceedure. It keeps the glass tight and the window travels up and down with ease and stays in place. No more holding in place as you let it up and down.

My concern is after time it may break the clips. Those little buggers are hard to get without buying a new glass. Feedback is welcome. What do you guys think. I am keeping the panel off to see how it does.

tomdietrying
06/16/2007, 06:22 PM
It sounds like it may be a fix, but I'm a little lost without pictures. Takes some pics PLEASE! :)
Peace.
Tom

Kenny
06/16/2007, 07:10 PM
I think that's been the general jist of the fixes so far.

I think those who didn't want to play with the clips and glass have just slotted the front bolt hole on the clip so when the bolt goes back in lower, it pushed the window back like your set up. And those like you who have taken the clips out shim the window up in the front too - or build new clips from UHWMPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, whew.)

Great minds think alike.

IndianaVX
06/16/2007, 07:24 PM
as a reminder, (not a very good one cause i dont have the number...) about any gm dealership that has a parts department has a clip that works very well as a replacement its darn near the same clip, just a little longer..... i know i posted the number somewhere.......so have others. search gm window clip, or something, it should come up.

ok, did it for ya........GM part#22689012

Dino
06/16/2007, 09:36 PM
I have a brainstorm goin for a better window mod. It involves moving the cable track forward. :rolleyes:

Just gotta make some time to do it...