PDA

View Full Version : Hauling Capacity

DeepSilentComplete
06/12/2007, 05:15 PM
Can anyone tell me the towing capacity of a VX?

I am in the process of looking at sailboats, older wooden boats in the 25 to 35 foot range, approximately 4000 lbs, some with full keels and the trailers that go with that. Of course, I will need a hitch added, but does anyone know if a VX can haul that much?

Dino
06/12/2007, 07:10 PM
It may indeed haul it, but long term, the tranny (a GM 4L30E) is NOT designed for towing and you'll probably burn up the clutch pacs.

Isuzu does NOT recommend using a VX for towing purposes because of this.

driver3
06/13/2007, 06:31 AM
It may indeed haul it, but long term, the tranny (a GM 4L30E) is NOT designed for towing and you'll probably burn up the clutch pacs.

Isuzu does NOT recommend using a VX for towing purposes because of this.

The trooper is rated to tow 4500lbs with that transmission.. they don't want towing based on the short wheelbase from what I understood

I towed a 19foot aluminum boat with a pretty big outboard... about 4000 with the trailer.. it was very heavy. The trailer pushed me around a bit. For the short mileage, no problem. But if you planned on driving it far, I'd say no.

I pull a 16 foot oday with mine.. but total package is less than 1000, it's so easy I forget it's back there...

Dino
06/13/2007, 09:13 AM
Ahhh I thought it was because of the trans but I could see the short wheelbase messin with handling.

I did some trailer towing with a Bronco II I had and I hated the handling.